6R80 in my 05

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
No. Do we need one for our speed sensor?
I got the 680 ohm resistor for using momentary shift buttons. I don't think I will use that feature.
Where you given instructions on how to wire the yet to be released transbrake?

No instructions on the transbrake, but I don't plan on using it, at least for now anyway. I do have the manual shift hooked up to the 13-14 select shift button. I did it more for fun.
As far as the speed sensor goes I was told I needed one, but I use a GT500 processor. I'm not sure if it reads different.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No instructions on the transbrake, but I don't plan on using it, at least for now anyway. I do have the manual shift hooked up to the 13-14 select shift button. I did it more for fun.
As far as the speed sensor goes I was told I needed one, but I use a GT500 processor. I'm not sure if it reads different.

Definitely want to know if the select shift works.

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
Trust me, it is waaaay more exciting having fuel gush onto your hood when you are driving!

I'm not sure I want to know what happened here, but I'm guessing it wasn't good.

I was planning on replacing my fuel line soon anyway because it was old and the gas fumes would penetrate it. Luckily I had bought PTFE hose and fittings for my truck so I was able to make two new lines to hook up to the rails. After I get the trans stuff lined out I will replace the remainder to the pumps. Then I'll have to buy new hose and fittings for my truck ... Always something

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I want to know what happened here, but I'm guessing it wasn't good.

I was planning on replacing my fuel line soon anyway because it was old and the gas fumes would penetrate it. Luckily I had bought PTFE hose and fittings for my truck so I was able to make two new lines to hook up to the rails. After I get the trans stuff lined out I will replace the remainder to the pumps. Then I'll have to buy new hose and fittings for my truck ... Always something

Fuel rail fitting came loose and all of a sudden I had E85 spraying through the hood vent onto my hood and windshield. It was quite startling! :omfg:

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fuel rail fitting came loose and all of a sudden I had E85 spraying through the hood vent onto my hood and windshield. It was quite startling! :omfg:
I'll bet it cleaned the bugs off the windshield really well.:insane:
Good thing for the hood vent, without it you probably would have been on fire a couple minutes (or even seconds) later.

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
Well I hate to say it, but we're in a holding pattern again until the software is released. I hope it's today because Saturday should be a perfect day to get out and test. Fingers crossed guys....

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
No. Do we need one for our speed sensor?
I got the 680 ohm resistor for using momentary shift buttons. I don't think I will use that feature.
Where you given instructions on how to wire the yet to be released transbrake?

Have they said anything about the software to you? I was under the impression everything was ready to go last week, but nothing has been added to the site.

forum member
Reaction score
Have they said anything about the software to you? I was under the impression everything was ready to go last week, but nothing has been added to the site.

On Wednesday, they told me the software was to be uploaded by the end of that day. They also said when it was time to set up the controller/software, I should call them as they wanted to walk through it with me.

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
On Wednesday, they told me the software was to be uploaded by the end of that day. They also said when it was time to set up the controller/software, I should call them as they wanted to walk through it with me.

Ok that's pretty much the same thing I was told. I guess we just wait...

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
Alright I got an email with a software link! Looks like this might be the week!

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
Well the initial learn didn't go well. It's showing a OSS error for some reason. Could be the harness, OSS ( inside the trans now) or controller. It'll probably be this weekend before I can troubleshoot it. Totally bummed out right now...

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
Phew... Ok much better news today. Looks like there may be nothing wrong at all. I do need to add a tach signal that was listed as optional like the quick 4 (used with my 4R). I'll let you know how we resolve this as most of you will probably have to do the same thing.

forum member
Reaction score
Phew... Ok much better news today. Looks like there may be nothing wrong at all. I do need to add a tach signal that was listed as optional like the quick 4 (used with my 4R). I'll let you know how we resolve this as most of you will probably have to do the same thing.

That's good news. I was told the tach signal is not as optional as the manual would have you believe. My tach adaptor came today. Before you buy a tach adaptor, check your pcm. I THINK 07 and newer has a pin (no wire) for a tach signal. My 06 does not.
How much set up work can they/you do without driving the car?
Did you end up needing the capacitor of the speed signal?
Did you have to wire an additional relay for the starter circuit?

Last edited:

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
That's good news. I was told the tach signal is not as optional as the manual would have you believe. My tach adaptor came today. Before you buy a tach adaptor, check your pcm. I THINK 07 and newer has a pin (no wire) for a tach signal. My 06 does not.

I went ahead and ordered an adapter just in case. My car is an 05 but uses a 09 GT500 PCM and engine harness. I'm supposed to send over the connector diagrams to Karl, but they think they can do a workaround to get it going.
I'm waiting on the capacitor still but that's only for the signal to the car. I believe we need it. I was able to share the signal with the 4R or that would've already been done.
No relay was needed for the starter either.

The learn procedure is neat and you better keep your foot on the brake lol

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
Just to add some info. You will need a tach signal hooked up for the learn procedure to work. Our cars will need the Autometer 9117 adapter. The manual says optional currently, but Im sure this will change. I have one on the way so hopefully I can get it installed Friday and do the learn process again.

I've learned a few things about the 6R. It can be moved without electronics. It goes into failsafe and operates at full pressure. Reverse and drive work but it only goes forward in 3rd gear. This way you can verify mechanically it moves and use it to fill the trans before adding the controller. Remember it has to reach a high enough temp to allow the stat to open and purge the system of air in the cooler etc... Since my car had been sitting for months I decided to at least move it out if the garage and back lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 13

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score

Can you measure the adapter for me? I'm trying to decide were I'd like to put it.

forum member
Reaction score
Can you measure the adapter for me? I'm trying to decide were I'd like to put it.

You officially owe me. The tach adaptor was in my garage, it's snowing, and I am on my couch with a beer watching LO8.
:party52:

The tach adaptor is 2 3/8 wide, 1 1/2 tall, and 2 inches deep. The mounting tabs a are 3 inches wide so they ad 5/8 inch to the width. It is designed to be mounted under the hood.

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for measuring it. It looked small but I wanted to make sure. I should be able to mount it in the fender with my PCM then.

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
Well now we're getting somewhere. I added the tach input, which was necessary. I tried to do the learn twice (talking with Karl), but it still wouldn't fully complete. It would give me all but 5th and 6th. Karl asked me to raise my idle speed and temp if I could as he thought the converter might be keeping it from completing. Unfortunately raising my idle speed via the pedal caused the learn process to abort. However it must have added enough heat so when I tried it normal the next time it completed. The car finally moves forward in first gear vs the 3rd gear failsafe!! I've sent all the data over to Karl and now await the ok for the first drive. So close...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back