6R80 in my 05

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I am saying that I purchased a flexplate from a 4.6 (Ford Van but there are many that interchange) engine that uses a 4R75E. It has 6 bolts and an 11.5 inch torque converter bolt pattern that is used with the 6r80. The starter tooth count matches the stock (to our cars) starter. It is bolted up in my car but I have not started it yet.
I did not search for a flexplate out of 5r55 car because they are different. They have some sort of a spacer to match the 5r converter.
I am no expert. I am just asking why you think it will not work.

I just know all flexplates are not the same off set. I was asking the question so I could order one for myself. Did you measure the distance from the convertor to the flexplate before bolting it up by chance?

Im assuming you didn't notice anything odd furring the install.

Im just trying to make sure what I order will work.

forum member
Reaction score
... Did you measure the distance from the convertor to the flexplate before bolting it up by chance?...

I am not sure what you mean here. I did not have the flexplate out of the 2013 Mustang that donated the 6R80 to my project. I did not measure the that distance. The torque converter matches that bolt bolt pattern. The flexplate bolts to the crank with six bolts and the torque converter pilot fits in the crank. Nothing seemed odd. For what it is worth, my contact at Baumann said that the flexplate will work.
I have hopes to start the engine with a week or so (if life does not get in the way). If you want to wait, I will report back.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean here. I did not have the flexplate out of the 2013 Mustang that donated the 6R80 to my project. I did not measure the that distance. The torque converter matches that bolt bolt pattern. The flexplate bolts to the crank with six bolts and the torque converter pilot fits in the crank. Nothing seemed odd. For what it is worth, my contact at Baumann said that the flexplate will work.
I have hopes to start the engine with a week or so (if life does not get in the way). If you want to wait, I will report back.

I just ordered a 6 bolt PA flexplate and deep pan. We will see how it goes.

Looking forward to your progress. Thanks

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
So, how bad am I going to hate my 3.73 gears with this 6r and over 900 rwhp?

What are guys using for gears and stall size with 28" tires and a lot of power?

I stall about 4400 now and like it with my 4r70w and turn 7-7.5k rpms.

GTAmuscle

forum member
Reaction score
I thought a lot of the auto yotes were running 3.15's because of how steep that first gear is on the 6R80.

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
You aren't going to do 900+ with 3.73s on the car with that trans, guaranteed. Stock gearing here and we'll say I am in that range power wise and the car is manageable, the trans isnt like what you had before.

forum member
Reaction score
Does the 3v motor plate and the 5r cross member work with the 6r80 and its mount?
No on the crossmember. I don't know about the starter index plate. I had to buy a new one since my swap was manual to auto.
I will be putting in 3.31 gears with the 6R80 and 28" DR. First is very steep at 4.17.

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
So, how bad am I going to hate my 3.73 gears with this 6r and over 900 rwhp?

What are guys using for gears and stall size with 28" tires and a lot of power?

I stall about 4400 now and like it with my 4r70w and turn 7-7.5k rpms.

Not going to like it at all. I bet it would have a hard time shifting first. As you know I went 3.08's and was actually told to go 2.73's. I calculated it many times and 3.08's worked for everything I wanted. 3.15's-2.73's is where you want to be at.

Thanks Mike

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
Does the 3v motor plate and the 5r cross member work with the 6r80 and its mount?

The motor plate will work, but I preferred the 6R plate. If my memory is right it was more open around the crank. The crossmember needs to be from a 11-14.

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score

I have a 5.4 which has a 8 bolt crank. I got lucky and the guy I bought my 6R from sent a stock coyote flexplate. I thought I was going to reuse my 5.4 plate until I compared them. The depth was different. I'll see if I can get a picture and measurement for you guys. I don't remember how far off it was.

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
ALSO everyone that has downloaded software please go back and download the new version 5.12. It has the updates that we worked hard on !!!!

Thanks Mike

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
Ok here you go. The coyote plate has the recessed center section that I'm pointing to. What I did is lay both plates on the concrete flat. I placed a ruler across them to give a straight edge. I then tried to place the exact same but under each. It wouldn't go under the 5.4 plate, however the 5.0 coyote plate allowed the nut, two washers, and there's enough to almost put a third. I'll see if I can get en exact thickness.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
I give up I tried to edit it 3 times and the photo still won't cooperate

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Okay, sounds like I need a cross member and 3.15 gears.

Now what about the kids car? It will be about 550 rwhp on the street and 650 rwhp at the track. Im leaning towards 3.31s...

Im thinking Circle D Converters for both
258mm on his and 245mm on mine. Going to call them tomorrow.

Last edited:

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
This is what I got. From the back of the plate using a straight edge as shown above.

5.0 (coyote) - .336 (to back of the plate)

5.4 - .157 (to back of the plate)

Flipping it over from the front using a straight edge across the crank mount. I just used a ruler on this.

5.0 (coyote) - 9/16 approx. (crank to plate)

5.4 - 3/4 approx. (crank to plate)

The 6R converter sits closer to the engine. This isn't the "most accurate" measurement but it does give you an idea of the difference between them. Looking at both measurements and knowing how I came up with them I'm think 3/16 of an inch is pretty close on the difference. These are both factory flexplates.
Thanks Mike

Last edited:

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
Okay, sounds like I need a cross member and 3.15 gears.

Now what about the kids car? It will be about 550 rwhp on the street and 650 rwhp at the track. Im leaning towards 3.31s...

Im thinking Circle D Converters for both
258mm on his and 245mm on mine. Going to call them tomorrow.

If the rpm's are under 7k I'd go 3.15's personally. If you decide to go 3.31's I have the ones out of my car I'd sell ya cheap.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
If the rpm's are under 7k I'd go 3.15's personally. If you decide to go 3.31's I have the ones out of my car I'd sell ya cheap.

I can run 164 mph with the 3.73s and a lock up converter at 7500 rpms , according to the calculators, thats not the issue, its the first gear in the 6r80. Im set on 3.15 for mine now. Im starting with new gears though what ever we do on the kids car and mine.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back