6R80 in my 05

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
So are you guys just using the little thumb switch to shift it or are you manually bumping it or leaving it in D?

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
So are you guys just using the little thumb switch to shift it or are you manually bumping it or leaving it in D?

It functions like a normal trans with it in drive. I have a switch that activates the Manutronic setting as Quick 6 calls it. Then the button is activated on the shifter and you can manually switch gears up or down.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't see this mentioned, but does it have to be a 6r80 out of a car 5.0 mustang only, could it be out of a truck(4x4 or 4x2), could it be out of a 3.7?

As noted, while the internals are the same .. the F150 6R80 has to be from a 4x2, the 4x4 has the transfer case adapter thingy and the 3.7L has a totally different bolt pattern and won't work.

I picked up a 6R from a 2011 F150 with 20,000miles for $350 with the stock converter, they yard I got it from wanted $1200 for the Mustang 6R ?? ... I told and showed the guy it was the SAME transmission as the F150 except for the shift bracket mounting bosses. He just said that's what 'the book' prices them at ... OK, 350 it was ... I can buy a new 6R case for $300 swap it when I do the clutches and still come out ahead .. but I'm just gunna cut the pan lip and use an angle iron for the bracket.

I got the crossmember, shifter cable , console, tranny cooler and lines from a 2012 for $150

Do you need to use a 2013/14 shifter for the manual shift to work? A guy on the MustangSource added paddles from an AMG .. They are less than $100 so I'm going to try that.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/add-paddle-shifters-13-14-automatics-538896/

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I picked up a 6R from a 2011 F150 with 20,000miles for $350
I got the crossmember, shifter cable , console, tranny cooler and lines from a 2012 for $150

You scored there! When I was looking, there was nothing to be found unless you bought a 4k used swap kit.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
It functions like a normal trans with it in drive. I have a switch that activates the Manutronic setting as Quick 6 calls it. Then the button is activated on the shifter and you can manually switch gears up or down.

Why is the extra switch needed?

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Why is the extra switch needed?

I pulled up the Quick6 manual and it appears they are enabling Manutronic Mode by pulling pin 14 low ..

Also answered my question about the shifter, Manual shifting is fully controlled via the Quick6 pins 14/6 ..

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
Have you been able to go WOT yet and shift at redline or near?

I have gone WOT but unfortunately not to the shift point. I also swapped boost controllers and I just verified it was correct. Right now I have the intake off to fix a coolant leak(waiting on parts).

However just to report on the swap it has been great. Once we got all the bugs worked out things have moved forward nicely. I've spent a lot of time dialing in my shift/lock schedule to my liking. It's not remotely close to the setup it gives you. All I have left is WOT shift points.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I pulled up the Quick6 manual and it appears they are enabling Manutronic Mode by pulling pin 14 low ..

Also answered my question about the shifter, Manual shifting is fully controlled via the Quick6 pins 14/6 ..

They​ also have a line to select in the software for it to activate on startup, but I assume if I fid that it would only shift via the up down buttons. I think I will go the momentary button route.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
So, the damn FRPP gear have been on backorder for a month and just got pushed another month.

The plan was to put a 3.31 gear in thr kids car and a 3.15 in mine. Im thinking of a 3.27 gear now for his and am undecided on mine weather to do a 3.08 or 3.27. both of these gears are in stock and I could have them in two days.

Or, what about 3.08 in both? He has a TVS while Im Procharged, but make more power.

Ive never thought about gears this high.

Any thoughts or recommendations from the 6r crowd?

Last edited:

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
So, the damn FRPP gear have been on backorder for a month and just got pushed another month.

The plan was to put a 3.31 gear in thr kids car and a 3.15 in mine. Im thinking of a 3.27 gear now for his and am undecided on mine weather to do a 3.08 or 3.27. both of these gears are in stock and I could have them in two days.

Or, what about 3.08 in both? He has a TVS while Im Procharged, but make more power.

There's no real difference between 3.08's and 3.15's ...

I have a T-56 with 3.08's [swapped from 3.90's n prep for a 6R swap] ...

I lost a little on the 60ft but make it up and a little more on the big end as I can keep it floored and leg it out in 3rd instead of 4th...

forum member
Reaction score

I went with 3.31's (stock converter, 28" tire) https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-4209-88331

Summit also has 3.08's. I agree that there can't be much difference between 3.08 & 3.15. If you are using a Circle D converter, call Circle D for their opinion. Surely you told them what gear you were going to use when you ordered their converter.

Last edited:

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking guys, thanks for the feedback.

What driveshaft did you end up going with on the kids car? For some reason I thought you mentioned a particular one for coyotes was 4" too big?

Have you done the swap in yours yet?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
What driveshaft did you end up going with on the kids car? For some reason I thought you mentioned a particular one for coyotes was 4" too big?

Have you done the swap in yours yet?

I used a '14 ds in his car and have a Dyna Spicer aluminum shaft for mine. The factory 13'-14' DS is about 4" longer then a 05'-10' DS.

I just started my swap yesterday afternoon.

Last edited:

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Thanks! Good luck with your trans. I really want to get rid of my t56 magnum xl conversion for this now.

As noted, while the internals are the same .. the F150 6R80 has to be from a 4x2, the 4x4 has the transfer case adapter thingy and the 3.7L has a totally different bolt pattern and won't work.

I picked up a 6R from a 2011 F150 with 20,000miles for $350 with the stock converter,

... I told and showed the guy it was the SAME transmission as the F150 except for the shift bracket mounting bosses.

but I'm just gunna cut the pan lip and use an angle iron for the bracket.

I saw a video from PA where they discuss using the f150 4x2 trans and a bracket made by them for the shift cable. I believe the bracket just bolts to the trans pan instead of the Mustang trans that has the bosses just above the trans pan.

Great score on all of that stuff for $150, how?

Edit: here is the video

Last edited:

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks! Good luck with your trans. I really want to get rid of my t56 magnum xl conversion for this now.

I saw a video from PA where they discuss using the f150 4x2 trans and a bracket made by them for the shift cable. I believe the bracket just bolts to the trans pan instead of the Mustang trans that has the bosses just above the trans pan.

Great score on all of that stuff for $150, how?

Hummm $460 for a repackaged OE shifter ..

I'm just going to make a bracket mount that fits between a couple of the pan bolts ..

As for the parts, just ask yards around you if they're getting any Mustangs in ... for the most part they toss that kinda stuff so you need to catch it when it first rolls in ...

I got my stuff from a roll over, the windshield was gone and it had been sitting in the weather for quite a while but it cleaned up nicely.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back