6R80 in my 05

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Hummm $460 for a repackaged OE shifter ..

I'm just going to make a bracket mount that fits between a couple of the pan bolts ..

So PA sells the bracket by itself.....PA68502....its $49.77.

So I just got off the phone with Steve at Tasca. He was saying that the crossmembers and trans mount between 4x2 f150 and the mustang are different. Did you use an 11+ Mustang crossmember and 11+ mustang trans mount(the rubber looking piece). Here are the diagrams he sent me. It looks like the f150 bolts in from the back and the mustang bolts in from the bottom. I just want to make sure i get the correct items.

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 17
  • image002.png
    image002.png
    102.8 KB · Views: 17

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
So PA sells the bracket by itself.....PA68502....its $49.77.

So I just got off the phone with Steve at Tasca. He was saying that the crossmembers and trans mount between 4x2 f150 and the mustang are different. Did you use an 11+ Mustang crossmember and 11+ mustang trans mount(the rubber looking piece). Here are the diagrams he sent me. It looks like the f150 bolts in from the back and the mustang bolts in from the bottom. I just want to make sure i get the correct items.

That upper one he sent you is for a 5r55s in a Mustang.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
That upper one he sent you is for a 5r55s in a Mustang.

Good catch, I'm adding all these components up and i'm nearing the 7k range. The cheapest I'm finding for the f150 is 650, and the mustang is 1725+150 for shifter and he'd throw in cable, oil cooler, lines, and crossmember. The shifter from ford brand new out of a 13 is only $144 lol.
The damn oil cooler and lines add up to +$400.

I'm not finding the 13+ shifters used anywhere either, just the 12.

EDIT:
If I'm not calculating incorrectly we've got about 1800 on the kit and labor for clutchs and shaft, then 1200 for controller and 1200 for a circle D. That is 4200 right there. How are you guys doing this so cheaply?

Last edited:

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Well guys I bit the bullet. The t56 magnum Xl comes out of the car tomorrow. The buyer is picking it up on Saturday. I Found a 14 F150 4x2 5.0 trans with 19k miles. Paid $620.10 for it. I have the Exedy Clutches and Shaft on the way. I turned Circle D on yesterday to either a 2B or 3B. Jelly thought a 2B would be better for my setup.

Points where I'm stuck.

You can use pretty much whichever inspection plate you want, but a few of you used the one from a superduty [FONT=&quot]AC3Z-7007-A???

05 Stroker i see you used a PA flexplate for $145, I can only assume you got the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]PAX28111?
JUST4FUN you used the [/FONT]PA26469?

Any reason you guys went with PA over a stock flexplate? Its only $33 from Tasca BL3Z6375A.

What are you using for the connector that comes out of the shifter?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Well guys I bit the bullet. The t56 magnum Xl comes out of the car tomorrow. The buyer is picking it up on Saturday. I Found a 14 F150 4x2 5.0 trans with 19k miles. Paid $620.10 for it. I have the Exedy Clutches and Shaft on the way. I turned Circle D on yesterday to either a 2B or 3B. Jelly thought a 2B would be better for my setup.

Points where I'm stuck.

You can use pretty much whichever inspection plate you want, but a few of you used the one from a superduty [FONT=&quot]AC3Z-7007-A???

05 Stroker i see you used a PA flexplate for $145, I can only assume you got the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]PAX28111?
JUST4FUN you used the [/FONT]PA26469?

Any reason you guys went with PA over a stock flexplate? Its only $33 from Tasca BL3Z6375A.

What are you using for the connector that comes out of the shifter?

The kids car is stock 3v crank so I needed a 6 bolt flexplate and wanted it to be SFI rated.

As for the shifter, I used a 14' unit and the plug is different then the 3v cars. It does come with the Select Shift buttons though. I bought mine from LKQ and it came with the connector.

IIRC Mike used a 11' shifter that had the same plug but he had to add the handle with the Select Shift buttons. Im sure he will confirm though.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Understood! Which one did you go with for your 8 bolt, same one mike went with from PA? I think they are about $183.

Yea I remember seeing that Mike got a 11 shifter and a 13+ handle for his based on his parts list. I honestly want the 13+ for the select shift.

Jason

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Understood! Which one did you go with for your 8 bolt, same one mike went with from PA? I think they are about $183.

Yea I remember seeing that Mike got a 11 shifter and a 13+ handle for his based on his parts list. I honestly want the 13+ for the select shift.

Jason

I dont recall the part number, but I already have a PA plate in use with my 4r70w.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Giving the 6R80 swap serious consideration. Anyone see a reason why my current flexplate would not work? Specifications here:

https://www.prw-usa.com/product/1828111-platinum-series-sfi-rated-steel-flexplate

Dont see why not, it list 11' 5.0 in the discription. It also has multiple bolt patterns like mine. Just do yourself a favor and mark which ones you will be using before installing the trans, no converter drain port on the 6r case like my 4r, its hard to turn the converter once the trans is in.

Last edited:

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dont see why not, it list 11' 5.0 in the discription. It also has multiple bolt patterns like mine. Just do yourself a favor and mark which ones you will be using before installing the trans, no converter drain port on the 6r case like my 4r, its hard to turn the converter once the trans is in.

Good, learned about marking the flexplate when I assembled my 3V.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Im going to use a hole saw and drill a 1 5/8" hole in the bottom of my case and then use a rubber plug like my 4r uses. That way I can rotate the converter with my finger.

I just finished removing the 4r setup and am wiring the 6r controler now.

Last edited:

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
J
I've learned a few things about the 6R. It can be moved without electronics. It goes into failsafe and operates at full pressure. Reverse and drive work but it only goes forward in 3rd gear. This way you can verify mechanically it moves and use it to fill the trans before adding the controller.

If I understand this correctly it will be in 3rd gear when you put it in drive? I'm going to install the trans at a buddies shop. I want to take it home to wire up all of the electronics, so I can take my time. Do you think that 3rd gear will be enough to get the car back on the trailer?

Circle D also ended up deciding to give me a 3b instead of 2b. I have 3.55 in the car now and am going to try them out before making the switch.

forum member
Reaction score
Circle D also ended up deciding to give me a 3b instead of 2b. I have 3.55 in the car now and am going to try them out before making the switch.

What is the difference between a 3b and 2b and why did they choose one over the other? I can't find those listed on their website.
Thanks

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
One thing I should warn anyone about that is doing this swap is. The swap is the easy part. The tuning is all on you, the files that are available right now are VERY far from what the tipical 3v car will want.

There is a ton of work left for you to do yourself tuning these things. I just dont want anyone to think these things are plug and play yet. They are far from that.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
So how are the files for them not what we'd want?
Lazy shifts, early, etc?

Just looking to see cause it's pretty neat

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
So how are the files for them not what we'd want?
Lazy shifts, early, etc?

Just looking to see cause it's pretty neat

Yes, all the above, the files offered are still very primitive, they take a ton of work on the end user. Keep in mind, Im not knocking it by any means. I just dont want anyone to buy this stuff yet and think they are going to swap it in in couple days , load a tune, and hit the road yet.

Point is, you are responsible for your own tuning. Just an FYI thing. Im sure in the future there will be tride and true starting points to work with. Just letting those know that are thinking about the swap, its not to that point yet.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
What is the difference between a 3b and 2b and why did they choose one over the other? I can't find those listed on their website.
Thanks

My understanding is that the 3b is a little looser than the 2b. The 3b supposedly will allow me to footbrake it better.

the files offered are still very primitive, they take a ton of work on the end user.

So, I'm assuming the base files kind of get you in a ball park of shifting the trans, throttle wise, rpm wise, and firmness. Then the end user ends up tailering the transmission shifting to their liking based on different situations. So basically I'm going to have to ride around in neighborhoods, highways, and byways trying different situations and then going into the software to adjust and then going back out and trying it again? It was my understanding that the software will also learn? I'm not sure what its learning and if you have experienced that yet?

My t-56 cam out last night and I should be picking the 6r80 up today from an LKQ and then dropping it off to the trans guy. I'm hoping my turbo crossover pipe will clear the 6r80. Thoughts? It looks like it will need to get remade.

Attachments

• t56.JPG
    t56.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 16

forum member
Reaction score
... I'm hoping my turbo crossover pipe will clear the 6r80. Thoughts? It looks like it will need to get remade.

Thanks for the info on the converter.
It is hard to tell from that picture if the transmission will fit between those pipes. My guess is that you will have to remake that pipe. I would bet stock cooler lines would hit those pipes. Aftermarket might work.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
So, I'm assuming the base files kind of get you in a ball park of shifting the trans, throttle wise, rpm wise, and firmness. Then the end user ends up tailering the transmission shifting to their liking based on different situations. So basically I'm going to have to ride around in neighborhoods, highways, and byways trying different situations and then going into the software to adjust and then going back out and trying it again? It was my understanding that the software will also learn? I'm not sure what its learning and if you have experienced that yet?

Hard to tell about the learning, besides what the manual has you do initially. Im sure it will some after I have it all dialed in and stop flashing the controller. And yes what you stated is true what you said about riding around and adjusting. One thing I was shown yesterday is that you can reflash the controller while the car is running. You can just pull over adjust and flash, then go again without killing the car.

Last edited:

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
One thing I should warn anyone about that is doing this swap is. The swap is the easy part. The tuning is all on you, the files that are available right now are VERY far from what the tipical 3v car will want.

There is a ton of work left for you to do yourself tuning these things. I just dont want anyone to think these things are plug and play yet. They are far from that.

Definitely appreciate your honesty on this. I won't be doing anything until winter anyway if my 3650 makes it through the summer. Hopefully by the end of the year Lund Racing will have their hands on this and some files available. I've been real happy with Lunds tune on my motor.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back