7 or 10psi for my Auto

W1ldcat

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I see the Whipple kits list 7psi for their auto kits and 10 for the manual.
I'm having mine installed and having it dyno tuned. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by getting the 7 and thinking it's not enough or by getting the 10 and then having problems because something doesn't hold up. Any input greatly appreciated,
Joel

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you really want some advice, or for some members on here to help you, then you got to give some more info--

No mods in your sig, you make no mention on how you use the car (daily dirver, weekend warrior, maybe a track car on occasion?) No mention whether you have the stock bottom end or a built bottom end, no mention on whether you plan on a built bottom end in the future or whatever, no mention on what your goals for the car are, etc, etc.

If you want a good answer, you got to give more info. If you don't, or just ask a seriously vague question like this, people are just going to ignore your thread.

silverpoison

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
when you say 7 psi kit I think is the non intercooled kit ...am I right?

I will run the 10 psi pulley, as long as your tuner nows what he is doing you should be ok.

W1ldcat

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good point about not having nothing in sig., and will fix. I have the stock bottom, but have a block I plan to build in a few years. I have a CAI and can tune. I only drive weekends and have never been to the strip. Being a Vert. and not wanting a roll bar, I won't any way.
The HO kits list 7psi auto and 10 for manual and I'm getting the HO at Livernois.

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I run 8psi and am very happy with it, then again it but down 474 on a cold night (uncorrected) which is fine with me. I'd get the intercooled kit and a safe tune with 10psi and you should be good to go. I take that back, I'd get a Kenne Bell but that wasn't your question. :)

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok--here are my thoughts:

Since its a weekend car, and probably not driven much, get the 10psi kit. If something were to happen, its not your only transportation and you could still get to work/school/home, whatever.

But, being an auto with a stock bottom end, be cautious. Even though you are not going to race it, you could still be an aggressive driver on the street. With the auto, the weakest link is the stock torque converter. Some are lucky and after a few thousand miles the stock torque converter is fine at 10psi. Some are not, and the stock torque converter quickly goes south, where it locks/unlocks under load. Since your getting it dyno tuned, they will be able to tell you whether the stock converter is staying locked or not.

Second thing is with the stock bottom end, engine failure is possible if you want your tuner to get every last bit of rwhp out of it. If you go with a conservative tune, however, you'll be fine---especially since you won't be racing it.

Third--the tensioner. At 10 psi with an auto, I don't think I recall anyone having a problem. I think it was only the manual cars---and at that it was rare being 10psi--so for you I don't think you need to worry about that.

So go with the 10 psi kit, conservative tune, and watch the stock torque converter.

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
I got the HO kit, but opted for the 8psi pulley instead of the 10psi. I later went with the 10psi pulley, but even on the 8psi pulley my converter started to slip.

I'd go with the 10psi, especially if you know a good tuner. And just to be safe, I'd ask him to make it a few counts richer at WOT. That's what I did, and I've been fine :) I did have to get larger injectors with the 10psi though, or at least that was recommended to me by my tuner & installer when I went from 8 to 10psi.

Good luck! you'll enjoy it!

O

oklacop

I have the H.O. kit and went with the 12lb pulley and tune from Doug at Bamachips. It dyno'd at 400 rwhp. I have LT headers, & 3.73 gears. I had the non intercooled kit with the 6lb pulley, we changed that to the 8lb pulley.....still wasn't enough at 344 rwhp. I ordered the intercooler upgrade and the 12lb pulley........I know 400 rwhp won't blow anyone away, but the car feels like a beast and 400 is more than respectable on an auto.

Forge

forum member
Reaction score
I have the H.O. kit and went with the 12lb pulley and tune from Doug at Bamachips. It dyno'd at 400 rwhp. I have LT headers, & 3.73 gears. I had the non intercooled kit with the 6lb pulley, we changed that to the 8lb pulley.....still wasn't enough at 344 rwhp. I ordered the intercooler upgrade and the 12lb pulley........I know 400 rwhp won't blow anyone away, but the car feels like a beast and 400 is more than respectable on an auto.

mustang dyno or dynojet?

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
oklacop, what was the a/f and timeing on those pulls. I made 466 on a Mustangdyno at 9 psi. with 11.2 a/f and 16 degrees of timeing. I would get that tune checked because those numbers are REALLY low on a Dynojet.

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
oklacop, what was the a/f and timeing on those pulls. I made 466 on a Mustangdyno at 9 psi. with 11.2 a/f and 16 degrees of timeing. I would get that tune checked because those numbers are REALLY low on a Dynojet.

Especially 12psi!? My auto put down 502RWHP on 12psi...... and now its blown, lol

Last edited:

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
There is generally a big difference between manual and auto dyno numbers. Even at 12psi, mine has never made more than about 475 on a pump gas tune.

But, then again, dyno numbers don't win races. You've gone 7.65 in the 1/8, and I've gone 7.08. :stir:

A John In NJ

Rice Cooker
Reaction score
Don, What have you done to your tranny to keep it alive for so long?

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Don, What have you done to your tranny to keep it alive for so long?
That's a good question, but I don't think there is a clear answer. Here's the saga...

The trans stayed 100% bone stock for the first 17K miles, and all but one month, that was N/A. When the engine build was ongoing, we sent the trans to Art Carr of TX who "alledgedly" did stuff internally and modified the torque converter. When the trans was going back in the car (summer 2006), it wouldn't fit. It turned out that the converter was made wrong, and it would even come off the shaft. The shaft actually pulled out of the trans and was stuck in the TC. This also damaged the trans somewhat.

We sent the trans to Tony at Larry's Transmissions, and he replaced the planetary, and a couple other little things. A new Art Carr converter was put in (Adam had one at the shop). I drove it like that for almost a year, but the trans never really worked perfectly, and the converter did not flash as high as it should have. Last summer, a new PI triple went in, and it definitely left harder after that (see my avatar pic), but the car started acting funny and not running right. I was planning on taking it to Adam to check it out, but then all hell broke loose on October 22. And it hasn't been on a track for almost 5 months now.

Once I get some money, I plan on getting the car up to Adam and Tony and having them check everything out real well.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the same feeling about that---the true dyno is the track mph. If its because the dyno calibration was off on the dyno Oklacop used, then you should be able to tell by just the mph in the 1/4

Oklacop---have you made any passes at the track, and if so, what was the mph? At 511rwhp I was at 125.82 mph weighing in at 3850 (with me in the car). Now I am at 577rwhp so mph should be around 128-129

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
There is generally a big difference between manual and auto dyno numbers. Even at 12psi, mine has never made more than about 475 on a pump gas tune.
My auto made 445hp at 10psi on 91. My shop has done quite a few whipples and does alot of forced induction tuning though.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back