A few 302 stroker and ported head build questions

ethrjock

forum member
Reaction score
With my build going in (thread here http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55337&highlight=paxton )

I have a few questions if someone has a minute to answer.

1. I was working on removing the water pump valley tube and it's stuck in the block. Is there some magic way to remove it? I tapped it with a rubber mallet but it's not budging.

2. Now that I am going to go with stage 3 heads (new manley valves, comp springs etc) I will end up re-using my lifters and followers from the original heads. I got to questioning this approach. Is there any concern over using the original lash adjusters and followers in these reworked PP heads? They are in fine condition with about 30k miles but obviously they wont go back in their original location in the new heads but I have at least kept the lifters and followers together.

Thanks for the opinions guys..

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
1. Put your purse down and swing a real hammer with 2 hands. Forget the rubber mallet, that piece is tight.

2. Shouldn't be a problem.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
Nice one dirty dog...I whacked it with my east wing and she popped out. :thumb:

It's "EST wing" dumbass.:hammer:
I'm doing a similar build and have seen what you picked up recently :thumb:
With a nice set of heads like that why not put all new gear inside them?
Unless you are reusing the old cams.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
My suggestion after having my block turned into a 302 stroker and re-using the majority of my timing components is to replace them while it's apart. It's a lot easier to do it while everything is openly accessible and you'll have some piece of mind as well. I just went through replacing nearly all the timing components that were re-used other than the cam followers over the winter. It was a fun learning experience but I would rather have not needed to do it.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
I'm going to reuse the timing gear under the front cover on my build.
They have about 20K miles, I will replace the guides though.
I figure since the chains and sprockets are worn in together they are good to go.
I wouldn't want to replace a vct or timing chain without changing everything.
Thats just my thinking back to when I used to ride dirtbikes.
I'd never swap a sprocket without changing the other one and chain.
But when it comes to the cams I was thinking the same thing the roller surface has wear specific to the old cams.
So if it were new cams I'd want to swap the followers, and for the same reason the lifters.
Then I got to thinking how many people have just pulled of their valve covers and swapped in a cam?
1000's with no issues.
If they are new cams I'd replace everything and have those heads break in with all new parts.
If your going with used cams fuck it, throw the old stuff in if the wear is acceptable.:beer:

ethrjock

forum member
Reaction score
Decision made. 24 followers and lash adjusters on the way $365 from tousleyford.com btw: yes..new custom grind cam will be on the top of the valve train.

Thanks guys..now go find your own EASwing hammer and leave my EASTwing alone ;-)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back