About painting interior

bossmanpena

Team OverDrive
Reaction score
I tried removing all interior plastics and had them painted but its started to chip and whatnot I was wondering if there might be a different method I should use to improve paint adhesion? Powder coating? Also the sem paint products does anyone recommend them?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You will need prep, adhesion promoter, paint and clear if you want it to hold up. Spray can stuff wont cut it.

swedensky

forum member
Reaction score
Need some help guys. I hate the chrome trim inside my 13, and hate the feeling when you touch plastidip. I'm looking to either go gloss black or a satin/brushed silver color. I have NO experience in painting and usually hate the outcome of my own projects. I wouldn't mind going to Hydrodipping except I don't want a pattern (unless you consider brushed silver). I also don't have the ability to go without all the interior pieces for longer than a day or so when I'm off.

I read these vvv as well. One thread says spray it in black plus clear coat, another says don't spray haha.

Any help and guidance is appreciated.

Pieces in question:
AC vent rings
Shift boot trim
Radio/AC knobs
MAYBE steering wheel spokes to match

Also want to paint the intake manifold cover, I have a spare though.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70636&highlight=Paint+interior
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82921&highlight=Paint+interior

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
I hated the feeling of dip, like you. I found out that I was doing it all wrong. It was severely textured, almost like a rhino liner. I started using the gun metal grey like a primer. I cover in that, and then hit it with the black, enough coats to cover the grey. Well, damn, it is buttery smooth now. I am shocked at the results, but that is how I will be dipping from now on.

swedensky

forum member
Reaction score
Mine is pretty smooth when I dip, but it's always gonna feel rubbery. I want a glossy or thinned surface...if that makes any sense.

TenSpeed

Reaction score
I know what you mean. Can't be achieved with the dip. I saw a removal video of the interior parts that you want to paint. Doesn't look easy, not to me at least. I have never had luck with getting stuff back together the way it fits from the factory. I am like you though, I despise the "chrome" trim that we have. Would look so much better either black or like a matte silver.

Turd burglar

forum member
Reaction score
Interior removal is easy. I drove around with my console and dash torn apart for almost a week, dont see why it's an issue unless it's an OCD thing lol

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
i have mine gloss black had it done progessionally through a friends shop for 100$ its held up so far. if you want pics i'll post them tonight

swedensky

forum member
Reaction score
i have mine gloss black had it done progessionally through a friends shop for 100$ its held up so far. if you want pics i'll post them tonight

My problem is A)finding a shop that B)won't rip me off and C)does good work

Interior removal is easy. I drove around with my console and dash torn apart for almost a week, dont see why it's an issue unless it's an OCD thing lol

No i won't have a problem removing the parts. I think it's an OCD thing for me...

There is a brushed aluminum pattern out there for hydrodipping

Really? Does anyone know where I can look at hydrodip patterns?

ChrisGT

Nice Shirt Bilkins
Reaction score
Plasti-dip sucks ass.

Pick up a can of matte clear coat. Matte clear coat + chrome = satin nickel.

mindblown.jpg

If you screw up... then you can have it hydrocoated.

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
Probably not your thing but I did some coil covers in the diamond plate and they actually look really good kinda subtle but sharp
20131113_144125_zps2981e1b2.jpg

20131113_144133_zpsb03612b9.jpg

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
Personally I would never use a spray can of anything. Typically its laqcuer or just enamel. It will not hold up. If you wanted to go with a flat or matte look use a flat clear that uses a catalyst that way it holds up for awhile

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
Go to youtube and search brushed aluminum hydrographics I saw a radio bezel for a dodge truck done in it. Looked pretty cool

TenSpeed

Reaction score
I must be in the 1%. 99% of the stuff I see hydrodipped doesn't do anything for me. I am not saying that the quality of work isn't good, but all the skull covered coil covers just look kind of tacky. Makes me look for the big Monster M sticker in the back window. That diamond plate look, while the work is nice, just looks like something that belongs on the Dodge truck mentioned above.

Dip isn't for everyone. It is nice to do trial and error with, before you drop the money and time on having something painted permanently. I think that people forget about that.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back