AC Compressor Ticking

ChosenJuan

Reaction score
Hi all, my 14 GT has recently started ticking fairly loudly from outside (not Coyote tick), and it's easily heard with hood up/down. It happens when the AC is on and the car is fairly warm (it's currently well over 100 here). The moment I turn the AC off and the compressor isn't engaged, the ticking stops.

I had it checked out at a local shop the other day and they said it's most likely the alternator as it seems to be coming from the right side of the engine bay (checked with stethoscope). But I just went to AutoZone today and checked and they said the alternator passes their tests fine. We chatted a bit and he pointed out the AC compressor pully seems wobbly, but he also agreed that when the AC is on and the ticking is occurring, the sound is coming from the right side, but it's quiet with the AC off. Now I'm a little lost whether it's the AC compressor, alternator, or something else.

Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Ticks are hard to diagnose w/o actually being present to see/hear/feel...might need a trip to shop f/ looksee (IMO).

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Hi all, my 14 GT has recently started ticking fairly loudly from outside (not Coyote tick), and it's easily heard with hood up/down. It happens when the AC is on and the car is fairly warm (it's currently well over 100 here). The moment I turn the AC off and the compressor isn't engaged, the ticking stops.

I had it checked out at a local shop the other day and they said it's most likely the alternator as it seems to be coming from the right side of the engine bay (checked with stethoscope). But I just went to AutoZone today and checked and they said the alternator passes their tests fine. We chatted a bit and he pointed out the AC compressor pully seems wobbly, but he also agreed that when the AC is on and the ticking is occurring, the sound is coming from the right side, but it's quiet with the AC off. Now I'm a little lost whether it's the AC compressor, alternator, or something else.

Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!
Passing an electrical test does not mean that the component might not be starting to fail mechanically internally. Might not have gotten to the point to alter the electrical system. I would lean more towards the AC Compressor or Pulley. Depending on the mileage on the vehicle, I would suggest a complete compressor replacement.

Back