Adding external relay

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Besides the electric fan... I would like to have a "real fan ". Like back in the old days. My 1990 Fox Body had a true riged fan. Bolted on the waterpump...
I am thinking about doing a "swap" . Perhaps someone here already had the same idea ?

A fan clutch ( thermal ) a fan... and a shroud. that´s it.
Good way to lose 20hp

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I developed a fix for this I have been R&D-ing for about a year. I can modify your resistor pack to stop this issue. I generally do this with the FRPP fan upgrade, so usualy customers will order the fan at the same time and I send it already set up.
Zero need to modify the car, fix what is burnt and let's get the fan working RIGHT!

brasil

Reaction score
..about the burnt pin. I think the wire that runs from the relay to the fan motor is "weak" ..or lets say the diameter is "on the edge " Perhaps it is a good idea to "upgrade the OEM wire that runs from the relay to the fan motor - one or two steps up.. in diameter. ???
Just an idea.....

07 Boss

Reaction score
...lose 20 hp... and gain a bullitt proof cooling fan.

This was my intention .

Well to each their own I guess but I foresee overheating issues while in traffic when air flow is needed the most.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I would not put a clutch fan on a 4.6L. They are designed to have high/low settings on the factory electric fan. This is optimized to keep the vehicle cool at all speeds and different environments.

I am curious as to the modified resistor pack. Can you post info (pics and schematic)?

tim richey

Reaction score
I developed a fix for this I have been R&D-ing for about a year. I can modify your resistor pack to stop this issue. I generally do this with the FRPP fan upgrade, so usualy customers will order the fan at the same time and I send it already set up.
Zero need to modify the car, fix what is burnt and let's get the fan working RIGHT!

You have a website or number I can message you on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrBhp

Reaction score
I think one of the first mods I did on my 90 notch was the conversion to an electric fan and big aluminum radiator.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Yeah, this is a common problem... Happened to my 05' GT last year, I found the issue, but my electrical capabilities are limited compared to my mechanical proficiencies. Took it to local electrical expert and undersize wiring is what I recall the tech saying to me. Repaired and runs like new...

I also have the GT500 electric fan too.

IMG_5732.jpg IMG_8687.jpg

brasil

Reaction score
@JC SSP undersize wiring - that s what I was talking about. So the best advise is to make a "upgrade " with stronger wires BEFORE the OEM one are going "south "
A good relay and thicker wires from battery to the relay..going to the fan.... using the OEM Wires only for the impulse to operate the relay.

ottoman834

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my high speed relay melting. I bought a relay to install externally. 30 (battery power), 87 (fan power), 85 is the thin green/violet wire in the second picture. Where can i get ignition powered 12v to pin 86? In the third/fourth picture, there is a thin black wire coming out out of the area where it seems like 86 would be from factory, but shouldnt the power just come directly from the 15a fuse in the BEC? Thats what it seems like based on the factory wiring diagram.
What wire should I use or should i tap into an exisiting 12 ignition wire nearby?

IMG_4542.jpeg

IMG_4548.jpeg

IMG_4547.jpeg

IMG_4546.jpeg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back