Advice on SC or Turbo purchase

KDT

forum member
Reaction score
I was just going by what Green Bullet said about me not wanting a Centri. Cause all I said was I didn't want on of the Leaf blower jobs, lol. I've just heard people make fun of some of the Economy kits and don't want to get something that is crap.

So what can I get a good Centri kit for? Sounds like that is what I would want if it's the cheapest and still good power.
You can get a non-intercooled centri kit for under 4K. It will make good power for sure. The only drawback is without an intercooler, it will lose power as the inlet temps rise (timing being pulled). In the summer heat you will notice a substantial loss in power without the intercooler there to keep the temps down. The intercooler will add another $1000 to the kit. Then you are right back up there where the other kits are priced at. That Magnacharger for under 4K is hard to beat. It comes with an intercooler and can be upgraded later with a smaller pulley, fuel pump upgrade, and a CAI to get you upward of 450rwhp. It's a lot of bang for the buck that will get you 400rwhp right out of the box.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I guess the SC would be much safer on my engine than the NOS wouldn't it

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
You can get a non-intercooled centri kit for under 4K. It will make good power for sure. The only drawback is without an intercooler, it will lose power as the inlet temps rise (timing being pulled). In the summer heat you will notice a substantial loss in power without the intercooler there to keep the temps down. The intercooler will add another $1000 to the kit. Then you are right back up there where the other kits are priced at. That Magnacharger for under 4K is hard to beat. It comes with an intercooler and can be upgraded later with a smaller pulley, fuel pump upgrade, and a CAI to get you upward of 450rwhp. It's a lot of bang for the buck that will get you 400rwhp right out of the box.

That makes sense. That is all inclusive, too, right? Nothing else I'd need to buy?

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
I would give Tony @ SuperchargersOnline.com a call and see what he can do for ya, he cut both me and Jeffs FRC killer deals on our intercooled Paxton 2200SL HO kits.

Especially if your going without an intercooler, should be pretty cheap.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I would give Tony @ SuperchargersOnline.com a call and see what he can do for ya, he cut both me and Jeffs FRC killer deals on our intercooled Paxton 2200SL HO kits.

Especially if your going without an intercooler, should be pretty cheap.

Thanks, Yeah I'll check into it and see what's up

KDT

forum member
Reaction score
That makes sense. That is all inclusive, too, right? Nothing else I'd need to buy?
That is a complete kit that will get you around 400rwhp. Some aftermarket CAIs will work with the Maggi. You may already have one that will work. This kit will max out you stock fuel system. That will need to be upgraded if you want more. That goes with any of the kits that make over 400rwhp. That's when things start really going up in price. For a budget supercharger, this kit is hard to beat. Plus it makes good low end torque which makes for a lot of fun on the street unlike a low boost centri will. At 400rwhp and a good tune, your motor should be fine for a long while.

Last edited:

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
That is a complete kit that will get you around 400rwhp. Some aftermarket CAIs will work with the Maggi. You may already have one that will work. This kit will max out you stock fuel system. That will need to be upgraded if you want more. That goes with any of the kits that make over 400rwhp. That's when things start really going up in price. For a budget supercharger, this kit is hard to beat. At 400rwhp and a good tune, your motor should be fine for a long while.

Yeah, there are alot of guys that just want a little extra HP for there stock block and the centri kits work perfect. But like KDT said if you decide to go any higher with the HP or add an intercooler you need to upgrade the fuel system, injectors....etc which is why the kits get so pricey.

KDT

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, there are alot of guys that just want a little extra HP for there stock block and the centri kits work perfect. But like KDT said if you decide to go any higher with the HP or add an intercooler you need to upgrade the fuel system, injectors....etc which is why the kits get so pricey.
Nothing wrong with a centri but at the power level he is wanting considering his budget, a PD blower would be better imo. Now if he were looking for big numbers, a 14 - 16 lb centri really starts kicking ass!

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Sounds like the Maggi is what I'll go with if I go SC. Still throwing around the NOS Idea, too. Just because of the $$$. I just spent about 5k on my car in the last few months with all the body work, lowering, etc. So, I'm about strapped right now for play money, lol

simonac

simonac
Reaction score
no mather what you do.centri,turbo,twin screw to the exception of spray (witch i am not a big fan of but good bang for the $$)you will have to get a bunch of supporting mod there is just no way out of it... adding more power will mean a new clutch, fuel system upgrade,plug,tunning, ect ect even brake(got to stop somehow)...once its start you will go from front to back in supporting mod...for sure it all depend on the power level you want and if your like me you do something you want to do right the first time ,especialy if the power bug bite hard lollll...i know lots of peoples with blower and was looking to get one myself when the $$ was good,...long story and i quickly found out that there is no way out of it.. sorry to burst your bubbles....

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
With the simple aftercooled vortech kit and his stock clutch and fuel system will do fine as long as he doesnt start lowering pulleys and adding boost....the kits come with a handheld tuner. He can add supporting mods over time.

KDT

forum member
Reaction score
no mather what you do.centri,turbo,twin screw to the exception of spray (witch i am not a big fan of but good bang for the $$)you will have to get a bunch of supporting mod there is just no way out of it... adding more power will mean a new clutch, fuel system upgrade,plug,tunning, ect ect even brake(got to stop somehow)...once its start you will go from front to back in supporting mod...for sure it all depend on the power level you want and if your like me you do something you want to do right the first time ,especialy if the power bug bite hard lollll...i know lots of peoples with blower and was looking to get one myself when the $$ was good,...long story and i quickly found out that there is no way out of it.. sorry to burst your bubbles....
I couldn't agree more. Now that I am in the high 400rwhp range. I plan to upgrade with forged motor, HD clutch, 26 spline input shaft, better brakes, HD differential, etc. I am looking at another 8K doing the work myself. If you can stand it, which I couldn't, staying at 400rwhp is much much cheaper. If he can be satisfied with 400rwhp then he should be fine with his stock components. Heck, my stock clutch is still holding with drag radials. I expected to be gone long ago. I am ready to change it but I'm not pulling the trans until it slips.

Last edited:

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Lot's of good info to mull over, thanks guys. I'm leaning more and more toward the NOS just for the $ and the fact that even though it's hard on the engine it's only going to be used in "have to" cases to keep from loosing a race, lol So, for the most part I'd be running on stock power and should in the long run make my engine last longer.

Basically, I can't afford the 3,500+ right now and I know if I have the power I'll be using it all the time and wearing my car out prematurely.

I'm not counting out the SC, but I'm beginning to doubt it's what I can afford.

I assume with the NOS I'd still need a better clutch and bigger brakes (which I plan anyway) But that should cover it, right?

This may be a stupid question, but does my tune matter with NOS?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back