Aftermarket keyless on top of factory alarm?

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Is this possible?

Not an aftermarket alarm but an aftermarket keyless/remote start that as no alarm features. Just keyless entry and remote start.

Do I just tap into the lock/unlock wires at the SJB and use the new key fob instead of the factory one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Check out 12vsolutions in a google search. I bought a kit from them for my gf's '16 Fusion. She'd been after me for a remote start since I added the factory system to my F250. Was $200 so it came in cheaper than the factory option by far, and on par with some aftermarket systems.

I really liked the setup. It uses the OEM key fobs, and activates the factory remote start options in the PCM so you can adjust run time and HVAC preferences. You hit the lock button 3 times and it starts. Took me 5 minutes to install, literally. Very clean, very easy.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
They don't offer anything for the Mustang. I've seen a few plug-n-play units but all say 2008-2014. I don't know what changed on the ignition wiring for 2008 from 2007.

But I already have a unit that I bought for another car but did not end up using it. So wanted to know if I can install it over the Factory alarm on my Mustang.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
Check out 12vsolutions in a google search. I bought a kit from them for my gf's '16 Fusion. She'd been after me for a remote start since I added the factory system to my F250. Was $200 so it came in cheaper than the factory option by far, and on par with some aftermarket systems.

I really liked the setup. It uses the OEM key fobs, and activates the factory remote start options in the PCM so you can adjust run time and HVAC preferences. You hit the lock button 3 times and it starts. Took me 5 minutes to install, literally. Very clean, very easy.
Thanks for sharing. Looking at this for our 2016 Ram Diesel Truck

Last edited:

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
They don't offer anything for the Mustang. I've seen a few plug-n-play units but all say 2008-2014. I don't know what changed on the ignition wiring for 2008 from 2007.

But I already have a unit that I bought for another car but did not end up using it. So wanted to know if I can install it over the Factory alarm on my Mustang.

Well then I guess it comes down to what you bought. Without knowing the make/model of the remote start system you have, I can only speculate. Typically, as far as alarms go, an aftermarket alarm requires the factory alarm to be disabled, otherwise the 2 systems will interfere with each other. Remote start systems (without alarm function) are usually stand-alone, and don't affect the factory alarm. As far as I can recall, if you were to sit in your car and lock the doors with your key fob (activating the factory alarm) you could then put the key in the ignition and start the car without pissing off the factory alarm. Any remote start kit would only need to bypass the PATS system to fire up the car. PATS and the factory alarm shouldn't have anything to do with each other. So, yes, you shouldn't have an issue with a stand-alone remote start and the factory alarm. The only thing that I would find irritating is carrying 2 fobs around, one for remote start and another to lock/unlock the doors. This is why I prefer to piece together the factory remote starts (if applicable) or use a plug 'n play method that uses the existing fob.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Well then I guess it comes down to what you bought. Without knowing the make/model of the remote start system you have, I can only speculate. Typically, as far as alarms go, an aftermarket alarm requires the factory alarm to be disabled, otherwise the 2 systems will interfere with each other. Remote start systems (without alarm function) are usually stand-alone, and don't affect the factory alarm. As far as I can recall, if you were to sit in your car and lock the doors with your key fob (activating the factory alarm) you could then put the key in the ignition and start the car without pissing off the factory alarm. Any remote start kit would only need to bypass the PATS system to fire up the car. PATS and the factory alarm shouldn't have anything to do with each other. So, yes, you shouldn't have an issue with a stand-alone remote start and the factory alarm. The only thing that I would find irritating is carrying 2 fobs around, one for remote start and another to lock/unlock the doors. This is why I prefer to piece together the factory remote starts (if applicable) or use a plug 'n play method that uses the existing fob.

It's an PKE remote start/Keyless entry (no alarm feature) I got off ebay. Currently have one on my daily driver and it's awesome. The install was easier on that car because it came with no alarm or immobilizer from factory.

So my questions is, if I unlock/lock the doors with the aftermarket keyfob, will this disarm the Ford alarm as it's getting the signal tapped into it?

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
It's an PKE remote start/Keyless entry (no alarm feature) I got off ebay. Currently have one on my daily driver and it's awesome. The install was easier on that car because it came with no alarm or immobilizer from factory.

So my questions is, if I unlock/lock the doors with the aftermarket keyfob, will this disarm the Ford alarm as it's getting the signal tapped into it?

That one's beyond me. I don't know how the factory alarm works. I would assume for simplicities sake that Ford doesn't use 2 different methods for it's unlock/alarm disable function. If the signal has been given to unlock the doors, it should also disable the alarm. As for the immobilizer, that's trickier yet (trickier as my knowledge is limited in this regard). Unless you can get an electrical mustang guru in here, or someone that's done it before (may want to search the forum for remote start), I would say your best bet is to talk with an aftermarket installer and see what info you can pry from them. Between google and the forum search, I'm sure there's info out there. You're not the only one with a remote start for his mustang.

happyjackson

Reaction score
I drive 2013 GT and was missing the remote start that came factory on the Nissan the Mustang replaced. I looked around, not many installers want to divulge their secrets. Holding my Visa card in my hand, while asking questions, I got answers. I went with a Python 5806P. The advantages there are many. I was able to get rid of the bulbous OEM Key/FOB (one unit). The range of the alarm FOB is listed at 2 miles, not... (lot better than to the end of my driveway with the factory FOB). It does go more than a 1/2 mile through my neighborhood, it might stretch to a mile in open terrain. It also shoots through 23 stories, down to 3rd level parking where I work. It's a two way alarm, meaning it responds when you lock/unlock or someone is messing with the car (again that 1/2 mile range). I paid extra for glass break, tilt (someone tries to tow) and proximity sensors (leave the windows down and it's protected). I had the trunk popper, heated seats and rear defroster wired into it. Couldn't get the heat/AC wired in because they are done with analog controls. I wanted to roll the windows down remotely (sunny day/black interior). That was not doable because the windows drop a half inch when the doors open as well as other safety features Ford built in that I would lose. It was not grossly expensive. The alarm was $125, the immobilizer was $40, sensors and controllers were another $50 and the install was $310. That's some money, but really it's a $40.000 car. Installing the alarm reduced my insurance costs by $100 a year. It's almost paid for itself in these last few years. I consider it a small investment. All be told 3 hours hanging out at Starbucks across the street and less than $600 taxed out the door. I love it.

Last edited:

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Here is the wiring diagram for the unit I’m trying to install:

466a092f6599e9645c7cb58d5756d7c7.jpg

I just really need to know if I tap into the the factory lock/unlock wires at the SJB that it will disarm the factory alarm as well.

I have the immobilizer and the push button start all figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back