Air/Fuel Ratio Questions - 14.0 Readings at WOT in 3rd-5th Gear

martin_nj

czesc!
Reaction score
For cruising around and not in WOT 14.0-14.7 is considered stoich which is where you want to be, it just depends on if you use regular gasoline or E10 (which is what most stations tend to use now a days)

When you go WOT, you want to be around 12.2-12.6 on the 5.0. 13.0 is the max but not needed IMO.

For Forced Induction cars, WOT fueling will look more like 11.5-11.7'ish.

this is interesting to read coming from a turbo 4cyl. is the 11.5-11.7 based off of 91 octane fuel?

i tuned for 12-12.2 and ran it hard and strong on NJ 93 octane fuel.

for my NA 5.0L if someone showed me a commanded AFR that was that rich I would immediately be asking questions.

bottle_fed

forum member
Reaction score
then I guess you learned an expensive lesson. Extended warranties are useless especially if you are modding.

well still plan on modding with frpp so it stays under warranty. my buddy at the dealer did the frpp procal tune. next will be frpp gears and they will install

KenB

forum member
Reaction score
this is interesting to read coming from a turbo 4cyl. is the 11.5-11.7 based off of 91 octane fuel?

for my NA 5.0L if someone showed me a commanded AFR that was that rich I would immediately be asking questions.

Well good thing you don't have a 4cyl anymore. lol

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
well still plan on modding with frpp so it stays under warranty. my buddy at the dealer did the frpp procal tune. next will be frpp gears and they will install

If you loaded that bama tune, warranty is gone.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score

Was your turbo 4cyl running 11:1 Compression NA? Since it was turbo I'd say no.

The Coyote 5.0 likes to be tuned on the "richer" side when NA, it has shown the best results so far. Sure you can run it at 13.0:1 NA, but there hasn't been any benefit shown by doing this.

martin_nj

czesc!
Reaction score
Well good thing you don't have a 4cyl anymore. lol

hehe it wasn't that bad of a motor =]

Was your turbo 4cyl running 11:1 Compression NA? Since it was turbo I'd say no.

The Coyote 5.0 likes to be tuned on the "richer" side when NA, it has shown the best results so far. Sure you can run it at 13.0:1 NA, but there hasn't been any benefit shown by doing this.

9.5:1 was the compression, so no, def not 11:1. I'm still pinching myself that the day has come where a ford V8 can be so good!

so again are the 12 AFRs being suggested for 91 octane? are the 93 octane tunes seeing gains by going a little leaner?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
hehe it wasn't that bad of a motor =]

9.5:1 was the compression, so no, def not 11:1. I'm still pinching myself that the day has come where a ford V8 can be so good!

so again are the 12 AFRs being suggested for 91 octane? are the 93 octane tunes seeing gains by going a little leaner?

I only ran a 93 octane tune in my 5.0 and it was coming in between 12.3-12.6

From what I've seen theres no benefit to going higher. Ken B could probably chime in and offer his opinion as he is one of the best in the calibration industry.

iceguyb14

Mustang Fanatic
Reaction score
Just got an updated tune from Ken and it's running between .84-.88 lambda, which is like 11.7-12.3 on a gauge calibrated for E10 and 12.3-12.9 on a gauge calibrated for gas.

back n a stang

Sick wid it!!
Reaction score
So running a 93-race tune on 2012GT,what would be a normal AFR at WOT?, and also at idle? Seems like at idle I am around 14.25. A "WOT" short pull in 2nd and 3rd briefly I saw high 11's, like 11.84 I think.Probably never broke over 6000-6100 RPM's though. Is this pretty close for a suppose to be a decent race tune.

Havent had the time to really drive the car much or learn all about these Dual aeroforce guages. I think my timing is advance is like 17 with this tune.

I'm now feeling like I should stop doing any WOT and just go get the car on the dyno and customed tuned at the performance shop. I was trying to hold off till I done some other performance mods,I got a 1-piece D/S I like to get in soon too. All I been doing the last year is suspension,appearance mods. Anyway,then go and get it tuned and all at one time.

PvilleStang

Your tax dollars at work!
Reaction score
attachment.php

back n a stang

Sick wid it!!
Reaction score
^ Thanks for the vital info Robin! Even Batman had aeroforce gauges in his mobile and sweating his AFR.
Old threads resurrected keep from cluttering up board with topics discussed already. Useless post would help cut it out too.

cgibs89

Stickers add HP brah
Reaction score
Depends. You could lean it out a bit to get some more power. 11.8 is fine and actually on the safer side for N/A but I would command 12.7 when I tuned my old 06 GTO and it had no problem. Then again, cam in block vs adjustable DOHC so there's going to be so many more factors.

My rule of thumb(like I said in my first post) is 12.5 for an N/A car. We're also talking about gas here. So a lambda of .850 if you're using any other type of fuel.

If you haven't already, read through this thread. KenB shared so much amazing information.

back n a stang

Sick wid it!!
Reaction score
Depends. You could lean it out a bit to get some more power. 11.8 is fine and actually on the safer side for N/A but I would command 12.7 when I tuned my old 06 GTO and it had no problem. Then again, cam in block vs adjustable DOHC so there's going to be so many more factors.

My rule of thumb(like I said in my first post) is 12.5 for an N/A car. We're also talking about gas here. So a lambda of .850 if you're using any other type of fuel.

If you haven't already, read through this thread. KenB shared so much amazing information.

Thanks my man! Yeah, I read this thread and been reading and learning all I can, all weekend on these aeroforce gauges and always reading on post/threads where someone who knows his shit on tuning to just digest as much info as possible.

I am NA with just 93-race tune that is suppose to be on the aggressive side he said. I see it down into 11's under WOT and 14ish idle. I have heard that livelink which I have done a few times back a year ago when I was on a tune for my old JLT CAI and a O/R-X pipe. I was told livelink is faster and more accurate info, opposed to aeroforce gauges for tuning purposes which makes sense.

Anyway, thanks for chiming in man. By this time next year I hope to be in performance mods deeper. If so, I will carry it to FASTLANE for Dyno/tuning. Like to pull this MT-82 while it's still in great shape and replace with Tremec and still undecided on staying NA or going FI. Funds are always issue...LOL. Right now I am looking at this 1-piece alum. DS sitting here that I need to get in.

Back