Alternator?

DirtyDeedsInc

forum member
Reaction score
Long story short, alt went out in my car, picking it up today from dealership that was only/closest place I could find to get replacement at a steal - as in them stealing the money from my wallet. I am planning on getting a better one than the Ford alt that's been put in it but would like opinions on which is the best out there for our cars. I've searched here and elsewhere and everyone seems to have chosen the PA but I haven't seen what makes it the alt of choice. Is there anything that is better or is the PA the best out there. I don't have much extra electrical load on the car other than a couple of gauges, relays and solenoids for N2O & line lock and a radar detector, so not much worth mentioning. I also must be one of the lucky ones since the stock alt on my car lasted 115k+ miles.

2kanchoo

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't heard of many people using aftermarket alternators. If you aren't running a bunch of accessories I'd just get a rebuilt stocker.

07calspecial

forum member
Reaction score
I just had an issue with mine burning out the diode and instead of shelling out 300+ I found a guy that rebuilds Alts and Starters (mostly diesel) and got it rebuilt for $90.00. He told me that he replaced all the electronics and brushes and resurfaced the rotor where the brushes ride.

DirtyDeedsInc

forum member
Reaction score
$300+ would be nice right about now, had mine installed by Ford plus the tow charge. Rebuilding one might not be a bad idea but I'll still buy one so my car isn't sitting up and so I'll have a spare in case of problems. I don't like being stuck and I got stuck when it went out Sat. For some reason I thought an auto parts store in Houston would have one on the shelf but no one I called did, except Ford. Could get a chrome one, I hear the chrome adds 5hp...LOL

DirtyDeedsInc

forum member
Reaction score
Everywhere I called said they could order it and it'd be there in 3-4 days, except Lone Star Ford that had it on hand and was 1/4 mile away. Had them do it because I thought they'd get to it Sat (got there too late for that) and because I killed the battery and didn't have a good way to charge it. Oh, and I didn't have any tools on me. I just figure if the stock ones suck, why not get better. TexasKyle told me his went out at 2500 miles when I texted him to see if he had a spare laying around I could buy which he didn't.

Oh, and $20 says every parts store in Houston has one today. I think I was just in Murphy's sights that day.

Last edited:

2kanchoo

forum member
Reaction score
Ouch... I got mine from the local dealership (was cheaper than 3 other places I checked if you believe that) and they overnighted it to me from the warehouse.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back