AMR 18x10 measuring closer to 18x11 - is this normal?

SlowJim

forum member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I jumped on the AMR deal last week and ordered up a set of the 18x10 rims after confirming they are the right offset and should fit all four corners. I test mounted them today and they had quite a bit more "poke" than I was expecting for a 48 offset rim. So I broke out my trusty old tape measure... and lo and behold they appear to be 18x11. Am I measuring incorrectly?

Labeled 18x10

Plenty of clearance near the front strut

Last edited:

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
The width is measured on the inside of the wheel, where the tire bead mounts, typically 1" or so less than the outside width. Normal.

Last edited:

Mineral_'01

forum member
Reaction score
Plenty of clearance near the front strut

How much clearance do you actually have in this picture? It is a little hard to judge by your finger. That picture is making me a little nervous with clearance issues running the Ground Control shortened strut body which is slightly thicker than the OE strut. Perhaps the Bilsteins in your picture are thicker than the stock strut body as well, in which case I should be okay. Hope these wheels are going to work...

Do you have Brembos? Also, please post more pictures of fitment with tires if possible. Thanks!

SlowJim

forum member
Reaction score
It's about 2/3 of an inch I'd say. Keep in mind the suspension is fully unloaded here - at ride height and as the strut compresses the tire will move higher in relation to the strut body and I think there will be enough space due to the way the strut is angled. There have been several cases of people running these on s197's all around - one guy says up to 295 width tires in front.

I unfortunately won't be mounting them up until spring. I do have the Brembos and there was quite a bit of clearance both in regards to the wheel barrel and the spokes.

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
So much wrong there.

First, what is 2/3 of an inch? Lets go with 5/8".

Second the distance between the wheel and the strut will not change.

You can not eyeball fitment with the suspension hanging like that. My 18x11 poke out a bunch when hanging but it all tucks in loaded.

SlowJim

forum member
Reaction score
You're right, I did not mean to say the distance changes, just that the strut is angled and the tire will have more room when it is compressed.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
There will be slightly more room, and you already have plenty (looks like enough for 285/xx). Never mind that any tire size that bulges that much past its wheel would have to be a tall profile tire intended for a truck or an SUV.

If anything, the Bilstein struts are either thinner than the stock struts or the offset from the strut centerline to the strut/knuckle bolt holes is larger than OE. Maybe both, for that much clearance to exist with an 18 x 10 x ET48 wheel. The backspacing for that wheel calculates out to about 7.39", and I can tell you that if those struts had been Koni yellows you'd be measuring that clearance with feeler gauge blades instead of a finger, a 285/xx tire would not work, and even a 275/40 would be iffy.

Norm

Last edited:

claudermilk

Reaction score
There will be slightly more room, and you already have plenty (looks like enough for 285/xx). Never mind that any tire size that bulges that much past its wheel would have to be a tall profile tire intended for a truck or an SUV.

If anything, the Bilstein struts are either thinner than the stock struts or the offset from the strut centerline to the strut/knuckle bolt holes is larger than OE. Maybe both, for that much clearance to exist with an 18 x 10 x ET48 wheel. The backspacing for that wheel calculates out to about 7.39", and I can tell you that if those struts had been Koni yellows you'd be measuring that clearance with feeler gauge blades instead of a finger, a 285/xx tire would not work, and even a 275/40 would be iffy.

Norm
Hmm....I don't like reading that. I'll have to try and throw a wheel on this weekend and verify.

Mineral_'01

forum member
Reaction score
Hmm....I don't like reading that. I'll have to try and throw a wheel on this weekend and verify.

Yeah, same here man. Please post your findings once you have fitted the wheel on the vehicle. What strut are you running up front?

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, but using a spacer that thick would require extended studs which would not be fun.

No the extended studs are fun. Makes changing wheels easier, you get the strong arp stuff, it looks cool, and you can run spacers without worrying about stuff

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Installing them may not be much fun, though, and there could be some concern with how straight they pull through.

About a month ago I had to replace all 20 studs on the Mazda 626 we used to own, due to thread wear from a hundred or more torque cycles.

Norm

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score

I ran AMR 18x10s all around with 285/40 Michelins and never had any clearance issues with my Koni struts (Oranges). You will be fine.

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
Installing them may not be much fun, though, and there could be some concern with how straight they pull through.

About a month ago I had to replace all 20 studs on the Mazda 626 we used to own, due to thread wear from a hundred or more torque cycles.

Norm

Buy the Ford racing hubs. soup.

Mineral_'01

forum member
Reaction score
I ran AMR 18x10s all around with 285/40 Michelins and never had any clearance issues with my Koni struts (Oranges). You will be fine.

Thank you for posting this. It puts my worries to ease. If you don't mind I searched your profile for some pictures of your AMR 18x10 setup, I found this. (I can take these down if you don't want them posted)

Your 275/40 setup

And your photo with 285/40's

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
No problem at all. Glad the pictures were helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
1/4" spacers are cheap.

Yes, but using a spacer that thick would require extended studs which would not be fun.

Not necessarily. I'm running 1/4" spacers in the front, 200-300 miles on them now, no issues.
I get at least 7 full turns of the lugnuts, so they're grabbing plenty of stud

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
7 full turns on a 20 TPI thread is NOT enough, even if the end threads on the stud were full-form (they aren't, see below). You're lucky if you have 60% minimum thread engagement length.

FWIW, not Mustang bits and pieces, but the longer threaded piece is about what 60% length looks like

norm-peterson-albums-stuff-picture11280-lug-nuts-stud-pieces-web.jpg

Norm

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back