Andy's One Car to do It All

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
I was suggesting gearing based on the 1:1 5th MT82. Gearing recommendation would be different for a 1:1 4th trans.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
Sort of a car update, sort of not: After doing a bunch of reading on GarageJournal and considering my options, I bought a MaxJax yesterday since it's on sale. It should be delivered to my dad's shop in 5-7 bitness days, after which I'll drive it to my house using their F-250 with a liftgate. This saved me $185 and will save some space in the garage until I'm ready for it.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
Finally had the Conti takeoffs mounted to the GT500 wheels I picked up locally. I probably have ~$350
in this setup, so tire life isn't a huge deal. I have another 4 waiting to go on when these wear out.
13934667_932925296835933_1584584062259925090_n.jpg

I also made some progress with the Bilsteins, but am a little stuck trying to find someone to revalve them;
you wouldn't think it'd be this tough in NASCAR country. Bilstein has a location in Mooresville, NC
which is 30-40 minutes from me, but they don't perform service there.
13925667_932925710169225_7512236638240850761_o.jpg

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
I also got the brake ducts installed before my June event at Carolina Motorsports Park (CMP).
I used NACA ducts and 600*F, 3" hose from RacerPartsWholesale (RPW), and spindle-side pieces from Blowfish.
Took a lot of time to put together, with a fair amount of that spent in opening up the lower grille
where it was blocked from Ford. This allowed me to get the NACA ducts more outboard for fitment and airflow.
13346535_899235696871560_421499773012646461_n.jpg

The only hangup was hose routing, as things are significantly tighter on the 2014 than they were
on my 2007. I ended up looping the hose over the swaybar to keep it pulled away from the wheel.
I'll see if I can't find a picture somewhere.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not certain how that kit is laid out but most of them should be able to run directly under the swaybar and hang down off the swaybar. It's pretty much a straight shot from the grill to under the swaybar to a left or right bend to the backing plate on each side.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not certain how that kit is laid out but most of them should be able to run directly under the swaybar and hang down off the swaybar. It's pretty much a straight shot from the grill to under the swaybar to a left or right bend to the backing plate on each side.
It wasn't a kit, it was pieced together. I'll give that a shot when I re-route the driver's side; the only trick will be trying to keep it from rotating the hose outward, as you're zip-tying one round object to another.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Also, just in the interests of accuracy, those AREN'T NACA ducts, theyre inlet flares, for lack of a better description. NACA ducts are designed to be mounted with the opening parallel to the direction of airflow, and siphon off some of the pressure. These are designed to be mounted perpendicular to the axis of flow, collect a large area (outside of the flare) and compress it down into a smaller area (the throat, where the hose mounts). Both designs do the same thing, but in different ways...

Just sayin'...

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
Also, just in the interests of accuracy, those AREN'T NACA ducts, theyre inlet flares, for lack of a better description. NACA ducts are designed to be mounted with the opening parallel to the direction of airflow, and siphon off some of the pressure. These are designed to be mounted perpendicular to the axis of flow, collect a large area (outside of the flare) and compress it down into a smaller area (the throat, where the hose mounts). Both designs do the same thing, but in different ways...

Just sayin'...
Haha, fair enough. RPW calls them that, but yes, you're right. This is an actual NACA duct:
590_large_image__63034.1345166540.1280.1280.jpg

Last edited:

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW, I went this route because I felt it'd flow more than other available setups with simple round inlets. There are surprisingly few options.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
I like your brake cooling set up. Very stealthy, which is great for a street driven track car.
Thanks. The primary goal was to force more air into the ducts without butchering the front of the car, and the easiest way to do that was to mount them there and modify the grille.

And I may have missed it, but is this the exact duct you used?

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/RPWNACADuctBumperDuctD100/Naca_Ducts2
Yeah, that's the juan. If you want more detail I can post it here, email it, or text.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
Picked up discontinued Ford Racing M-5220-MB from a guy on CL, who just happened to be 30 minutes from where I was vacationing last week. According to his post they were used <500 miles and I believe it looking at them.

I have to say I was a bit surprised by how many diameter transitions are made on all 3 pieces. I assume they're to achieve a certain flow/sound.

13958164_942219882573141_5587409078245882079_o.jpg

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
I also made some progress with the Bilsteins, but am a little stuck trying to find someone to revalve them;
you wouldn't think it'd be this tough in NASCAR country. Bilstein has a location in Mooresville, NC
which is 30-40 minutes from me, but they don't perform service there.

I thought one of the major advantages of the Bilsteins was the ready availability of places that can revalve them.

So that you're having trouble finding someone who can revalve them is a bit surprising, to say the least. Is this because you're looking for someplace that you can visit in person?

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
I thought one of the major advantages of the Bilsteins was the ready availability of places that can revalve them.

So that you're having trouble finding someone who can revalve them is a bit surprising, to say the least. Is this because you're looking for someplace that you can visit in person?
Yes, I'd prefer to have them done in person. Or in the very least not ship clear across the damn country.

Update doe: Talked with a contact at Bilstein who said, "Your rebound will be a small bit under damped but not garbage." Looks like I'll roll with them as is for now.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
I also got the brake ducts installed before my June event at Carolina Motorsports Park (CMP).
I used NACA ducts and 600*F, 3" hose from RacerPartsWholesale (RPW), and spindle-side pieces from Blowfish.
Took a lot of time to put together, with a fair amount of that spent in opening up the lower grille
where it was blocked from Ford. This allowed me to get the NACA ducts more outboard for fitment and airflow.
13346535_899235696871560_421499773012646461_n.jpg

The only hangup was hose routing, as things are significantly tighter on the 2014 than they were
on my 2007. I ended up looping the hose over the swaybar to keep it pulled away from the wheel.
I'll see if I can't find a picture somewhere.

Damn, you should have used the kit from FRPP that uses the upper/lower foglight openings. Looks like this turned out ok though!

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Finally had the Conti takeoffs mounted to the GT500 wheels I picked up locally. I probably have ~$350
in this setup, so tire life isn't a huge deal. I have another 4 waiting to go on when these wear out.
13934667_932925296835933_1584584062259925090_n.jpg

I ran this exact setup for 3 sessions and loved it. If you got those tires from that dude in NC they are fantastic. I came across a killer deal on 18x10 forgestars so I dismounted the gt500s, but i was happy with how they did. I've got a bunch of tread left too.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
Damn, you should have used the kit from FRPP that uses the upper/lower foglight openings. Looks like this turned out ok though!
Are you talking about M-2004-MBA or M-2004-MR? The -MBA one doesn't appear available anymore. Blowfish offers a part that bolts to the back of the OE foglight piece, P/N BCD-01-200. That seems like a decent alternative if I want to get some lower grille space back, but I kinda like having them toward the center of the car where more airflow is likely. Vorshlag notes the same concern in their product video.

Last edited:

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
I ran this exact setup for 3 sessions and loved it. If you got those tires from that dude in NC they are fantastic. I came across a killer deal on 18x10 forgestars so I dismounted the gt500s, but i was happy with how they did. I've got a bunch of tread left too.
Yeah, I bought 8 from the guy because it was still less than one Rival-S.

Long term I want to move toward something like the original Rival that gives me good grip/longevity balance. That will determine my next wheel setup.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Yeah, I bought 8 from the guy because it was still less than one Rival-S.

Long term I want to move toward something like the original Rival that gives me good grip/longevity balance. That will determine my next wheel setup.

Well when you find that tire, let me know. My original Rival set is almost dead and it makes me sad. I'd love to find more of those or at least something really close. The AD08R seems like a good option, and it's 265/35/18 specs out to be wider than the 275 Rival.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back