Another option for chrome factory badges – black chrome paint

crummyarchitect

Reaction score
So I Plasti-Dipped the GT factory badges last year, and although I really liked the look, it was wearing off on the GT badges and the trunk badge was looking bad as it was looking kinda chalky (got wax on it or something); they needed a new look – that is until I replace them/remove them (at some point I’m going to replace the fender badges with “Powered By Ford” badge, and going to go with a CDC rear blackout panel that deletes the trunk badge).
IMG_1227.jpg

But in the mean time I had purchased the Dupli Color black chrome paint kit for some interior pieces and ended up not using it, so thought it might work on the chrome badges – and it did.
IMG_1221.jpg

So after cleaning off the Plasti-Dip I got the badges looking pretty good and ready to paint (I was lazy and left the trunk badge on the car, just taped it off well, but the fender badges I pulled off).

IMG_1222.jpg

After 1 coat.

IMG_1223.jpg

After 2 coats.

IMG_1224.jpg

After 3 coats (stopped here).

IMG_1226.jpg

Final product, after clear coats. I realize it almost looks as if it’s just painted with gloss black paint, but it really changes color depending on what it’s reflecting. I still want to paint where it says "FORD" in red, to match the GT emblems.

crummyarchitect

Reaction score
OH, and here is the fender emblems which I did like a month earlier. Painted reveal part with red paint to match the brake calipers.
456709_10150855820126755_200260547_o.jpg

uwishprod

Youtuber Howto
Reaction score
I made a video with this stuff and did not like how it came out. But it looks good on your rear emblem. Job well done.

crummyarchitect

Reaction score
I made a video with this stuff and did not like how it came out. But it looks good on your rear emblem. Job well done.

Yeah this stuff is tricky, it was looking blotchy at first, but the darker I went the more it went away. But if you get real close you can see it, it doesn't show in the pics. But it was good enough for me as I plan on ditching the rear emblem. :)

06TORCHEDGT

forum member
Reaction score
looks good! you can also use a really light coat of VHT nightshades to give chrome a black chrome look. I did it with all the badges on my 2001 cobra.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Looks good. I want to do the same thing to my badging, thanks for the post. Now to find some Shadow or Nite-Shades paint...

Back