Any car salesman in here !!

martinr69

Reaction score
I was offered a sales postition with Carmax. They informed me that they will pay me 12.00hr for 4-5 weeks for training. Then after that I will get 100% of the commision of the cars I sell.
My question is to you is how hard is it or easy is it to sell a car. I think I am capable of doing the job but I don't like the idea of no sale no pay. I want steady income and don't know if this is a good move to make. It beats what I am doing now which is nothing but sitting on unemployment.

3vs197

forum member
Reaction score
Im not a salesman but I work at a dealership and there is obviously a potential to make money, or to not make much at all. Some things to consider:

1. Are you a people person? You really dont have to know much about the product your selling, you just have to know how to sell. As much as i hate to say it but lying or twisting the truth might be needed to sell alot of cars.

2. Are there alot of other dealerships in the immediate area? There are two independant dealers next to us and 3 across the street from us, making it hard sometimes.

3. Be prepared to work a lot of hours.

Hope that helps.

martinr69

Reaction score
Yeah I did security for 15 yrs so being a people person kinda came with the job. And for hours they told me it will be about 45 hrs a week. And I know alittle about the cars just will have to bring my A game to play. I worked at those quick lube places when I got out of school so trying to sell something was kinda easy. But selling someone a $10 air filter is different than selling someone a $10k car.
Just would like to know if anyone knows what kind of training they give you as well

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fuck CARMAX..If you want to sell, go to a dealership with a strong payplan that pays on gross. Not salary. Be in control of what you make..

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was offered a sales position with Carmax. They informed me that they will pay me 12.00hr for 4-5 weeks for training. Then after that I will get 100% of the commission of the cars I sell.
My question is to you is how hard is it or easy is it to sell a car. I think I am capable of doing the job but I don't like the idea of no sale no pay. I want steady income and don't know if this is a good move to make. It beats what I am doing now which is nothing but sitting on unemployment.
I have done Business with Car Max in the past.
They seem to be Legit.

I worked for Dealers for over 15 yrs. so I can tell you this.
Unless Car Max is completely different than like an Acura Dealer etc.
You are going to have to be willing to put in some really-really serious hours.
If you are Not willing to do that, don't go !!!
You will Not have much of a Personal Life either doing Sells at any Dealer unless Car Max has a Limit on the hrs. you can work.

tigerhonaker

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you want steady income, then find something else to do. Only if you are at the same dealership for a long time, and you have built up your customer base and referrals, will you have "steady" income...

martinr69

Reaction score
I have done Business with Car Max in the past.
They seem to be Legit.

I worked for Dealers for over 15 yrs. so I can tell you this.
Unless Car Max is completely different than like an Acura Dealer etc.
You are going to have to be willing to put in some really-really serious hours.
If you are Not willing to do that, don't go !!!
You will Not have much of a Personal Life either doing Sells at any Dealer unless Car Max has a Limit on the hrs. you can work.

tigerhonaker

They said that I would be working 45 hours a week unless I want to work more. Just looking at the whole picture before I make a decsion. Yeah the personal life is a big ordeal since my girlfriend and I just took the next step. Don't think she would be to happy if I was not home alot, but then again she may like it to :lol:

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They said that I would be working 45 hours a week unless I want to work more. Just looking at the whole picture before I make a decision. Yeah the personal life is a big ordeal since my girlfriend and I just took the next step. Don't think she would be to happy if I was not home alot, but then again she may like it to :lol:

Martin,

This is going to be your Lucky-Day Pal.
Here is the facts on Dealerships.
I'll keep it simple.
Don't go there or "Any" other Dealership.
NOW I feel better and if you are smart you will take what I just said as the Favor I mean it to be.

Terry

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
I sold cars new and used for a total of about 8 years back in the late 80's early 90's. All I can say is stay on your unemployment until you can find a good job with a steady income. When selling cars you might do great one month and not sell shit the next month. Selling cars at a large dealer is a cut throat business. DON'T do it until the unemployment runs out and you are forced to.

martinr69

Reaction score
Martin,

This is going to be your Lucky-Day Pal.
Here is the facts on Dealerships.
I'll keep it simple.
Don't go there or "Any" other Dealership.
NOW I feel better and if you are smart you will take what I just said as the Favor I mean it to be.

Terry

Thanks for the facts Terry.. I was sp[eaking it over with the girlfriend and she said do it until I told her that I wouldn't be home alot then her tone changed.
But I think I am just going to find something in the security field. I am in the testing phase for TSA but just was looking for something to keep my mind and time ocuppied.
TSA is not a your hired job yet, but it takes time from what I heard. And you have to pass there computer test, back ground check, credit check, drug screen before they even put you in the ready pool.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
also be prepared to be bored out of your mind if your not selling anything. Sure it sounds great having downtime at work, but when there is nothing going on....there is NOTHING going on. Also remember after training your hourl pay will probably plummet and most of if not all your pay would be commission based meaning you better be good at selling or else your screwed

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Selling cars can be very frustrating at times, and very rewarding too. You have to be able to keep a level head, come in to work to work, and leave your personal stuff at the door. You are on stage when you are with customers. They feed off your energy, good or bad. 90% of selling is you. The customers are buying you, your dealership and the whole experience. They can buy he car at 10 other places if they want to. I love the car sales world because you hold your future in your hands. You get out of it what you put in. I sold cars for 2 years, and got promoted to sales manager. 8 years in the business, and I am the General Manager for a dual franchise. I love going to work each day knowing that I, and my team, hold our lively hood in our own hands each day. There is no "cap" on what you can make. If you are ok with making $30,00 a year, then you wont last long in the business. If you want to make $200,000 plus, then put some time in, devote yourself to it, and you can make all the money you want to. This coming from a guy with no college experience and 7 years inthe NAVY.. Good luck:beerdrink:

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
Selling cars can be very frustrating at times, and very rewarding too. You have to be able to keep a level head, come in to work to work, and leave your personal stuff at the door. You are on stage when you are with customers. They feed off your energy, good or bad. 90% of selling is you. The customers are buying you, your dealership and the whole experience. They can buy he car at 10 other places if they want to. I love the car sales world because you hold your future in your hands. You get out of it what you put in. I sold cars for 2 years, and got promoted to sales manager. 8 years in the business, and I am the General Manager for a dual franchise. I love going to work each day knowing that I, and my team, hold our lively hood in our own hands each day. There is no "cap" on what you can make. If you are ok with making $30,00 a year, then you wont last long in the business. If you want to make $200,000 plus, then put some time in, devote yourself to it, and you can make all the money you want to. This coming from a guy with no college experience and 7 years inthe NAVY.. Good luck:beerdrink:

x2

It's definitely tough and it's DEFINITELY not for everyone, but it can be very rewarding.

Good luck with your decision and congrats on your relationship. :thumb:

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
I'd like to meet a car salesperson who has made $200,000. Every dealer has the house favorite who gets thrown all the house deals and gets the majority of the phone ups. These guys do really well while everyone else struggles to get by. The only folks really profiting at the dealer is the dealer. There are so many things working against the average salesperson. Turn downs, pack, low balling trades etc. It is a terrible way to make a living not knowing how much money you are going to make each month. It's a struggle each and every day.

martinr69

Reaction score
I sold cars new and used for a total of about 8 years back in the late 80's early 90's. All I can say is stay on your unemployment until you can find a good job with a steady income. When selling cars you might do great one month and not sell shit the next month. Selling cars at a large dealer is a cut throat business. DON'T do it until the unemployment runs out and you are forced to.

yeah I am pretty much going to stay on unemployment for now. Was thinking that this maybe something for me to get out of the house. But not wanting to make money one month and nothig the next.
Plus i worked at a big dealership washing cars when I was young. if need be i will go do that to get out of the house for awhile. Just starting to get bored and not having money for mods lol...
Hell if the weather was good and i had an extra pair of valve covers i would try to powder coat them myself.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Selling cars is hardcore. You need thick skin and determination....its feast and famine. Not for the weak minded.
I actually enjoy beating up the salesman during the negoiations. Lol

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
I'd like to meet a car salesperson who has made $200,000. Every dealer has the house favorite who gets thrown all the house deals and gets the majority of the phone ups. These guys do really well while everyone else struggles to get by. The only folks really profiting at the dealer is the dealer. There are so many things working against the average salesperson. Turn downs, pack, low balling trades etc. It is a terrible way to make a living not knowing how much money you are going to make each month. It's a struggle each and every day.

You sound like someone that USED to sell cars.

PNR Welding

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I definately agree 100% with you. Especially that guy who gets all the bones. You have the entire sales team who could be struggling and that one guy who is the GMs wifes nephew (that no one knows) gets all the deals. Even gets 50/50 or no pack signed on the back of the deal jacket on a 8G deal front and 4g deal on the back end. Id like to get back in only in the finance department. Those guys make decent money by playing with figures.

I got out right after the economy took a dump and the car sales went bad, right after cash for clunkers. I worked at a few different Penske dealerships and the payplan was actually really good. 150.00 mini deal or 30% of profit on the front end. The back end wasnt that great, 50.00 for extended warranty and 50.00 for GAP. Lojack was a high profit seller for us though. We made 30% on that and we had no limit on what we could sell it for. As long as the bank would approve it, we marked it up.
To the OP, it is a very crucked game and you will get sucked up in it. You have to put your conscious aside.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
I just left the car business about a year ago, to start on my dream of owning my own business. I started in sales, than moved to finance, and I was also a special finance director. I spent most of my time doing special finance because the pay is much better, even though its much harder work.

It can be one of the most rewarding businesses you can be in, and make an incredible amount of money even without any kind of degree. But as others have mentioned its not a game for the meek minded or for someone that wants a job to tie them over. It becomes part of your life and how you live after doing it for a while. Its also great because you can never perfect it kind of like playing golf.

Being new to the business, is pretty hard if you don't have the right dealer and the right management. But now with this economy I feel that most don't really learn the craft and the business the way it was taught to me. They just want to shove you out on the lot and make it a sink or swim thing and thats why a lot of newbs get discouraged.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
You sound like someone that USED to sell cars.

As blunt as that statement is, I have to admit I LOL'd....my problem has never been the business. It has always been bad management and short sighted managers.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back