Any hillclimb people here?

SlowJim

forum member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have heard mentions of hillclimb events more and more recently. I have never been to one and have not been able to find info on any in Ohio (using Motorsportreg).

Can anyone share experiences? Is it kinda like a mix between road rally and autocross? Any tips on finding local events?

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
I have been actively hillclimbing since '07. Just ran the Pagoda hillclimb over the weekend, sorry no video from this weekend, but here is a video from my old C5 Z06 from Duryea 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8og9s6IPf8A

You can visit our site, pahillclimb.net. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have and I will try the best I can to answer them.

Another video from the Rose Valley Hillclimb, this one in a Mustang (blown '90 Notch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrA-K9Qgnt8

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
WOW that looks like a blast. Nice driving too. All those guardrails and blind crests would scare the living daylights out of me

Thank you. Yes, it is a great time. Next event is next weekend, Giants Despair hillclimb. Carroll Shelby raced there in the 50s. Lots of history.

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
I got up to around 120 in the video I posted. Has not been run since 2008.

The Duryea video radar gun said 124 before I went sideways into T6, radar said 133 across the finish GPS said 137. Top of fourth gear, wouldn't pull fifth up the hill.

Current car should go faster at Duryea, the Z06 went 82.8 at Pagoda which is a shorter version of Duryea, just went 80.8 in partially wet conditions over the weekend in the '14 GT.

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cool. Alwsyscwanted to try this.

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
Hrmm...Never knew this stuff existed. I only live about 20mins away from where this Duryea Hillclimb is held. I might have to take a cruise up there and check out the scene :head3:

Last edited:

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
We were just there over the weekend. Come out to Duryea and say hi, I'll be there unless we stuff both cars before then :)

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
We were just there over the weekend. Come out to Duryea and say hi, I'll be there unless we stuff both cars before then :)

For sure...I'll have to also look into what's involved in participating. Been wanting to find somewhere fairly local (that's legal) where I can stretch the beasts legs a bit. This looks like a real hoot and right up my alley. Car is setup nicely for this stuff.

There are some pretty technical roads all over the area which I frequent often but are less then ideal in terms of pot holes and straight up ditches so finding a place well paved and legal would be a welcome change.

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
For sure...I'll have to also look into what's involved in participating. Been wanting to find somewhere fairly local (that's legal) where I can stretch the beasts legs a bit. This looks like a real hoot and right up my alley. Car is setup nicely for this stuff.

There are some pretty technical roads all over the area which I frequent often but are less then ideal in terms of pot holes and straight up ditches so finding a place well paved and legal would be a welcome change.

Basically need a rollbar, fire extinguisher, drivers suit, helmet, gloves, arm restraints. Standard SCCA autocross (street prepared and SM for street cars) and road racing classing.

It is definitely a lot of fun. Very high risk compared to other motorsports, but it is a great time.

Some friends of mine and guys I race with organize this.

http://pahillclimb.org/about/the-courses/polish-mountain/

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Yes, been running there since '07. See wreck video above, it's from there the first year they ran it. Stop out this year and say hi.

That looks like when you find an oil patch on the track, or something in the suspension comes apart. Definitely not a normal break in your line.

Yeah, we never really figured out exactly what happened. Car just went straight for the guardrail. Was only the third run ever up the hill (maybe 4th can't remember), wasn't really pushing that hard at all. Tire was flat when we got it down the hill but that could have obviously happened from taking the guardrail out at 90+ mph. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back