Any knowledgable A/C gurus here?

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
How frequently does the A/C clutch cycle? I keep hearing a clunk every 20-30 seconds and it sounds like its coming from the right side of the car. Clunking clutch bad news? The car is still cooling, but seems a little weak.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How frequently does the A/C clutch cycle? I keep hearing a clunk every 20-30 seconds and it sounds like its coming from the right side of the car. Clunking clutch bad news? The car is still cooling, but seems a little weak.
If it is cycling more often than normal it is possible that the refrigerant charge is a little low.
I'm an HVAC mechanic so I use professional tools but for DIY I like this setup because there is no dye, no stop leak, and it has a gauge.
http://www.autozone.com/a-c-chargin...ith-electrical-driven-compressors/974769_0_0/

kytoploader

forum member
Reaction score
Used to design automotive a/c systems for a living. By far the most troublesome part is the expansion valve if it has one. Is the line cold after the expansion valve or orifice tube?

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Used to design automotive a/c systems for a living. By far the most troublesome part is the expansion valve if it has one. Is the line cold after the expansion valve or orifice tube?
It has an orifice tube and they have factory installed fluorescent dye.
In a system that was never serviced and was never completely empty there should be no reason for a clogged orifice tube unless the compressor was trashed.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
The car has 125K miles on it and has only had the AC system opened once, to check the pressure. Is a loss of pressure over time normal, even if there are no leaks in the system? I'm going to drop by my cousins shop next time I'm in the area to have him measure it for me, vs picking up one of those cans.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The car has 125K miles on it and has only had the AC system opened once, to check the pressure. Is a loss of pressure over time normal, even if there are no leaks in the system? I'm going to drop by my cousins shop next time I'm in the area to have him measure it for me, vs picking up one of those cans.
It can lose some refrigerant over time through the compressor shaft seal.
Mine took about 9 years to get close to empty. My car is also stored between November and April.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
My car is an 08, so about 8 years old now. Hopefully it just needs to be topped off or refilled. Thank you for the responses.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I've noticed after a few minutes of driving, the clunking will stop, or least happens less regularly. Would the system start to behave normally after the compressor has been spun for a little bit? I haven't been using the air.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back