Any Tabaki smokers here?

ixtlan

Reaction score
So you think it is healthy for charred carbon to enter your lungs? 2nd hand smoke is pretty bad. I am a runner and I can feel it the day after I go to a smokey bar. It is silly to ban smoking, but it really needs to be regulated. Just make sure there are always smoking an non-smoking sections. That is key. You have a right to smoke and I have a right to not breath your smoke.

Back on topic. I love the smell of a pipe. Do you actually inhale it or just keep it in your mouth like a cigar?

I agree to a point on some of the comments.
Smokers do need to be courteous to others that do not smoke.
I try to be as much as possible.
But if you dont smoke then dont go to a smoking bar or places where smoking will be.
The same courtesy works both ways. Something the Anti's have forgotten.

As far as inhaling goes.
Any pipe smoker that says they dont inhale is full of it.
Inhale yes; But not like cigarettes are smoked.
Cigarettes are deeply inhaled.
Pipes are sipped in that you draw in the smoke inside your mouth and roll it around then exhale. A small amount is actually inhaled into your lungs and nose (on purpose) to experience the smell and taste.
Pipe tobacco is not treated like cigarette baki is either.
No chemicals and the such for the most part.
Just Sugars, Licorice, and basically flavor type things (cherry juice, strawberry, Vanilla, whatever).
Chemicals you can taste and are not wanted in the tobacco.

raverjames

Beer Advocate
Reaction score
But if you dont smoke then dont go to a smoking bar or places where smoking will be.
The same courtesy works both ways. Something the Anti's have forgotten.
Well, I would think bars could have a smoking and non-smoking section. The problem with bars is that too many people just smoke when they drink. It isn't always fair to the non-smoker. I hate cigarettes. I can stand the smoke from a cigar or pipe. Must be all the chemicals in cigarettes. I would try a pipe. I do love a good cigar once in a blue moon. I had some rockin cubans in jamaica.

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, I would think bars could have a smoking and non-smoking section. The problem with bars is that too many people just smoke when they drink. It isn't always fair to the non-smoker. I hate cigarettes. I can stand the smoke from a cigar or pipe. Must be all the chemicals in cigarettes. I would try a pipe. I do love a good cigar once in a blue moon. I had some rockin cubans in jamaica.

Shouldn't the market dictate that? Not regulation? If there is enough of a demand for non-smoking bars, they will open up. If not they won't. I don't smoke cigarettes, but I don't believe I have the right to dictate to someone else, unless they are in my home, car, etc...

ixtlan

Reaction score
For anyone wanting to try a pipe there are some basics you need.
1. A good pipe. Dr Grabows are low cost good briar pipes. They are filtered if you want (you can insert a filter or leave out) and are also pre broken in. A new pipe is not so good the first few times.
2. A Tamper/Cleaning tool. A Cheap tool that has a tamper for packing and a pick to unclog the pipe bowl is fine.
3. Cleaning fluid. Also called Sweetener. It is used to dissolve the tar and gunk from the pipe parts. Alcohol works too. Many use there favorite high alcohol drink to clean with (Rum, Everclear, Bourbon, ect..) You can also use unscented isopropal. You just need to let it evaporate good prior to using the pipe.
4. Pipe cleaners. You know the little fuzzy wire sticks. Cotton. No Plastic based ones like ya find in craft and hobby stores. Lots of PC's will be needed.
5. Baki. Of course.
Baki ranges in types and styles.
Aromatics - are great smelling (room note) but tend to bite.
Captain Black is an aromamatic.
Cavendishes - are steam or heat cured then fermented tobacco. They tend to be really dark in color and range from biteing to mild. Also they tend to be the sweeter tobaccos.
Virginia's - are the sweet ones. Candy is Dandy. Also tend to be the Milder.
They are the lighter colored baki in blends.
Burleys - are air dried tobaccos. Cigarettes are mostly Burleys.

Types of packing.
You have:
1. Bulk cut - Mostly what you see in stores in pouches.
2. Spun Cut - It is spun while cutting. This produces a rope that you cut as needed. Not used much in the industry.
3. Flake - Baki is pressed into little blocks to preserve the moisture and flavors. Higher end tobaccos are packaged this way in little tins. Dont let the size and price scare you off. There is a lot of smoke in that little tin. They tend to be the better tobaccos too.

ixtlan

Reaction score
Shouldn't the market dictate that? Not regulation? If there is enough of a demand for non-smoking bars, they will open up. If not they won't.

And this statement from a Californian no less.
The land where EVERYTHING causes cancer....
I agree with you on the subject. Even though your state restricts smokers more than any state. Not your fault I know, just ribbin ya.
I dont mind going outside to smoke, but you cant smoke anywhere in Cali where there is even a chance someone will be.
No Indoor smoking. Sucks to find a smoking hotel anywhere.
If you do find one it has a guy with a needle in his arm outside the front door.
Us smokers are delegated out the back door where we cant be seen by the public.
Strange place.

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And this statement from a Californian no less.
The land where EVERYTHING causes cancer....
I agree with you on the subject. Even though your state restricts smokers more than any state. Not your fault I know, just ribbin ya.
I dont mind going outside to smoke, but you cant smoke anywhere in Cali where there is even a chance someone will be.
No Indoor smoking. Sucks to find a smoking hotel anywhere.
If you do find one it has a guy with a needle in his arm outside the front door.
Us smokers are delegated out the back door where we cant be seen by the public.
Strange place.

It works for me because I don't smoke. I just don't think it's right to legislate it. I'm a firm believer in a free market.

BTW, I'm going to have dinner and cigars at a private cigar bar tonight. :thumb:

raverjames

Beer Advocate
Reaction score
Shouldn't the market dictate that? Not regulation? If there is enough of a demand for non-smoking bars, they will open up. If not they won't. I don't smoke cigarettes, but I don't believe I have the right to dictate to someone else, unless they are in my home, car, etc...
Funny thing about alcohol...
Even though there is a lot of demand for smoke free areas in drinking establishments, the bar owners never need to actually move on this demand. They know that the desire of the non-smokers to drink alcohol is greater than their hatred of the environment. So, nothing happens until the idiots in government are left to make the rules. They hear the cries from non-smokers and decide to ban smoking in public all together. These bans would probably never have happened if most establishments had smoking and non-smoking areas to begin with. I hate the govnt stepping in and banning stuff as much as the next person. However, I could have predicted it would happen. :tdown:

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
hey i used to be what they called an " educated pothead " lmao i could make you a pipe out of just about anything lol , im tellin ya maguiver didn't have shit on me lol , but those times all are gone now but still love my good ole kool filter kings

ixtlan

Reaction score
hey i used to be what they called an " educated pothead " lmao i could make you a pipe out of just about anything lol , im tellin ya maguiver didn't have shit on me lol , but those times all are gone now but still love my good ole kool filter kings

Well that really isnt the type thing ya outa be proud of.....
But to each his own.
The thread is for more the Legal Type stuff. Catch me drift there Freaky....?

:towlwhip:

ixtlan

Reaction score
Since one of the hardest things to do is choose what to smoke.
I thought this might be a good place to give some "Highbrow Soundin" :roflmao:opinions of brands I have tried.
The Format I would like to set is as follows:

Brand - Name - Type Cut - Type:
Opinion

Mac Baren - Vanilla Cream - Flake Cut - Aromatic:
Smooth for a Aromatic, Slight bite if smoked hot, has a mildly sweet taste with a hint of vanilla and licorice. Good room note. My favorite of the Aromatics to date.

McClelland - Captain Cool - Loose Cut - Aromatic:
Smooth for Aromatic, Mildly sweet taste with a hint of vanilla and mint. Good for a Morning Mix and has a touch of the Burley taste of a cigarette. I am growing to like it.

Lane - 1Q - Loose Cut - Aromatic:
An Aromatic with a touch of a bite. A Buttery, Vanilla is prominent in the taste with a touch of chocolate in the background. This a good choice for aromatic types but dont smoke it hot. Will bite if you do.

Lane - Captain Black White - Loose Cut - Aromatic:
Great room note of vanilla. Bites like a bitch. Taste is a little like vanilla, but a lot like a cigarette. Has a really mild sweet taste. Of the available anywhere pipe tobacco it is one of the better. But not for a newbie.

Lane - Captain Black Blue - Loose Cut - Aromatic:
Like white but mixed more with cavendish. Bite is still bad but not like the white can do. More of the tobacco taste then the white. Room note not as nice as white.

Smoker Friendly - Cherry - Loose Cut - Other:
I dont taste no cherry in it at all. Sort of a dirty taste to me. Smooth though and doesnt bite. This would be better suited for a mild rolling tobacco for cigarettes. But Cherry? Nope I dont think so.

Deja Vu - Chocolate - Loose Cut - Other:
If you like unsweetened Chocolate then you probably well mabey like it. Bites way too much.

Deja Vu - Vanilla - Loose Cut - Other:
Small and I mean small vanilla taste. Bite is pretty rough too. Another candidate for a rolling tobacco.

Deja Vu - Cavendish - Loose Cut - Aromatic:
Not sweet to the taste. But it is mild and very little bite. It mixes well with Captain Black White to mellow the captain out a bit.

Well there is a start. I have some Candy type baki's on the way and will give my impression on them when they get here.

What you all tried?

Last edited:

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well that really isnt the type thing ya outa be proud of.....
But to each his own.
The thread is for more the Legal Type stuff. Catch me drift there Freaky....?

:towlwhip:

hell that was 7 or 8 years ago at least , i haven't even seen it since lol , like they say young and dumb . anyway i love the smell of those flavored cigars and pipe tobakki ( the legal stuff lol ) but i dunno it was just never my thing i guess it's kinda just to do with what you grew up around and who you hang with .....

tehsleeper

forum member
Reaction score
First of all, do you know how the calculate "2nd hand smoking" deaths? If you've ever lived with anyone who has smoked-EVER and you have a heart or lung related illness you're tallied to the list. There have been zero scientific links and the numbers are absolute bullshit.

Second, FIND ME A VICTIM! Find me a person, who has contracted lung cancer, that has never smoked in their life, yet they have lived with a moderate smoker, even a heavy smoker, or someone who smoked for as little as a year. Those people don't exist, plain and simple.

By the same reasoning, bs 2nd hand smoke reasoning, everyone in LA should have lung cancer from our horrendous smog problem.

A moderate view:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Stossel/story?id=1955237

Raverjames: I'm willing to bet money that your experience with "smoky" bars and feeling it during your run is psychosomatic. We're conditioned to think that second hand smoke does things like you stated. You should meet my Marine buddy who smokes a ciggarette right before he PT's and runs 3 miles with me. Everyone is different, but being around ciggarette smokers for a couple hours is not going to destroy your lung capacity. It's in your head.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Last edited:
Back