Anyone ever try pledge???

Mikes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I was at a cruise night the other night and wiping car down with a detail spray. A guy came over and said if I really want car to look great use lemon pledge before a show. Apparently it's an old school thing to do. Anyone here try it?

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
Nope. I've also heard you can wash your car with Murphys oil soap. I'm personally not comfortable with it because it could have harsh detergents or chemicals in it.

If you have a good LSP and a good QD you ll be fine. Coatings and alot of sealants are really slick so dirt comes off very easy with little pressure.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Pledge is best for the interior. Repels dust. I used it all the time. Never thought about using it on the paint. Probably wouldn't do that. Honda makes a spray that works really good for that.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
lemon_pledge__3000_pageview_special__by_kibbiethegreat-d5anoql.png

mrperple

forum member
Reaction score
I may look good, I just wonder how hard it would be to get off.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score

kon5t

forum member
Reaction score
Nope. I've also heard you can wash your car with Murphys oil soap. I'm personally not comfortable with it because it could have harsh detergents or chemicals in it.

If you have a good LSP and a good QD you ll be fine. Coatings and alot of sealants are really slick so dirt comes off very easy with little pressure.

define "harsh chemicals"?

I make my own soap out of coconutn oil, sunflower and olive oil, and sodium hydroxide, which is definitely a "harsh chemical"

It is also the harsh chemical almost all other detergents are made of, including what you use on your car right now (that or potassium hydroxide).

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
I'm talking chemicals in general. You may not know what exactly is in pledge. I know I dont but you want to risk the chance of damaging your paint at the same time.

For example dawn. Dawn is awesome to wash your car with if your trying to strip your wax or LSP. Dawn can also dry out your plastics on a car if used on a regular basis over time. When diluted properly if won't strip your wax but the dilution rate is very small with dawn because of abilities it has.

Soaps like four star, duragloss, CG, etc. are PH balanced which won't allow for stripping your LSP. Even these PH balanced soaps can strip or attempt to strip your LSP with the improper dilution.

If your making your own soap that's great as long as you have done the reading behind it to have the proper dilutions and ratios. Even "harsh chemicals" are safe when used properly. I am all for that. I love trying small companies products.

One more example is Simple Green. A great cleaner and decrease but if you spray it on bare aluminum it can actually etch it where something like meguires all purpose cleaner won't etch aluminum.

Last edited:

kon5t

forum member
Reaction score
I'm talking chemicals in general. You may not know what exactly is in pledge. I know I dont but you want to risk the chance of damaging your paint at the same time.

For example dawn. Dawn is awesome to wash your car with if your trying to strip your wax or LSP. Dawn can also dry out your plastics on a car if used on a regular basis over time. When diluted properly if won't strip your wax but the dilution rate is very small with dawn because of abilities it has.

Soaps like four star, duragloss, CG, etc. are PH balanced which won't allow for stripping your LSP. Even these PH balanced soaps can strip or attempt to strip your LSP with the improper dilution.

If your making your own soap that's great as long as you have done the reading behind it to have the proper dilutions and ratios. Even "harsh chemicals" are safe when used properly. I am all for that. I love trying small companies products.

One more example is Simple Green. A great cleaner and decrease but if you spray it on bare aluminum it can actually etch it where something like meguires all purpose cleaner won't etch aluminum.

Ah ok I get it. Dawn and most other artificial detergents are pretty harsh in those terms, they are specifically designed to strip oils and waxes. Good idea to keep them away from your car.

Traditional soaps (made from vegetable oils and potassium/sodium hydroxide, as opposed to various petrochemicals like Teepol, are completely different and not normally as astringent. I personally choose castille soap for washing a car, very efficient and not very harsh, normally if it is safe to use on your skin, it will be safe to use on paint. Try and find a soap that has not had the glycerin removed and it won't dry out the paintwork as much. This is also why I prefer home made soap, you can control the degree of saponification, the oils that go into it and the glycerin is not removed.

If you really want to push the envelope of "quality", check out Zymol, great stuff, but very expensive (and a lot more effort).

On the subject of waxes, Carnuba is a favorite, but it does evaporate quite quickly, so you will need to reapply every few weeks

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
Everything I use is PH neutral and is safe for waxes. I also follow the dilution rates and your good. My 2 current favorite soaps are Four Star Ultimate and Duragloss 901/902.

Zymol does have great waxes. Glasur is an awesome wax and isn't to pricey. Carbon is also a good bang for your buck. I currently have Auto Finesse Illusion on my car now.

I would have a coating if I had a DD but I enjoy "waxing" my car. I also seal my car then coat it with a nuba.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back