anyone experience with 315 tires

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
I think this conversation has gone a little astray . . .

I don't think that running 255s in a less grippy compound than the rear is going to turn the car into a whirling dervish deathmobile but, for those of use that like to push our cars in the corners, the idea of using huge near-R comp tires in the back with a less sticky 'street' compound tire of a much narrower width means that the handling characteristics will be less than ideal (i.e. tendency to understeer) unless some pretty substantial suspension modifications are done (and even then, the proposed combination is not ideal by any stretch).

Ideally, you don't mix and match brands/models of tires on a car that you want to go around corners with, although this might not be a concern for the OP.

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
i completly understand champ. But like i said, going for toyo up front is too late now.

So I suppose you'd think it would be better to go for softer and stickier 265 or 274 michelins than the yoko's I gave right now.

idd terry. With normal driving i dont expect a problem either

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
With normal driving you can run 4 temp spares, so what. Why are you buying 11" wide wheels and r comps if you didn't plan on aggressive cornering. If its just for looks why waste money on 2 good tires?

And 140 at a drag strip does not compare to actual cornering. Sure top fuel dragsters are running massive slicks and narrow front runners, that doesn't prove anything.

too much poser in this thread, i'm out

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i completly understand champ. But like i said, going for toyo up front is too late now.

So I suppose you'd think it would be better to go for softer and stickier 265 or 274 michelins than the yoko's I gave right now.

idd terry. With normal driving i dont expect a problem either ��

As has been said it's all in application.

So, only you can make that call buddy.

And no I'm Not trying to be cute or a smart-ass just being serious and stating the obvious.

Here in the USA and the guys I know that have built engines and supercharged Mustangs for the most part are not racing around corners.
All of us for the most part are concerned over rear-traction and normal handling with the front tires that are usually somewhat smaller than our rears.

Also to be real honest if I tried driving mine at 95 MPH on the streets and our interstate system I would not have a driver's license long.
You simply cannot get away with that where I live.
I can't speak of the other states but here you just cannot drive at that sort of speed.

I will add this comment to you.
I happen to know a lot about what your Mustang is and the dollars you have in it.
That being said and I was really-really concerned over those front tires ???

And I knew all I had to do was bite the bullitt on the cost of the ones I already have or soon to have.
(Sell those or give them to a buddy)

I would instantly order the matching tires for the "Front" and never look back or give it a 2nd thought.

You buddy have way-way to much money in your Mustang to worry about the cost of 2-front-tires.
And lastly if I did not give a shit I would not bother posting such a direct comment post to you.
Seriously, Philip, I'm not rich but I will send you the money for two front tires and if you can one day you can reimburse me for it.
If not then consider it a gift from a long-distance buddy in the USA. :beer:
Terry

Last edited:

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
With normal driving you can run 4 temp spares, so what. Why are you buying 11" wide wheels and r comps if you didn't plan on aggressive cornering. If its just for looks why waste money on 2 good tires?

And 140 at a drag strip does not compare to actual cornering. Sure top fuel dragsters are running massive slicks and narrow front runners, that doesn't prove anything.

too much poser in this thread, i'm out

why poser??? Bought those rear rims and tires because with that amount of hp I badly need a lot if grip. But you are correct if you mean that I maybe have not thought through concerning the front ones. My front only have about 500 miles so my plan was to use those first and then go for other and wider. If you think of that as being a poser than excuse me. Spent a lot of cash the last month but off course you cant know that.

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
terry thanks for the offer. As you said i've spent a lot so the cost of those 2 extra tires won't make such a great deal. It's just something I clearly have not thought thoroughly about.

Having doubt about those Toyo up front. In the rear no problem for gripp but up front for handling in the rain, what happens a lot here??? Not sure. And then the difference in height with the rear ones ...

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
terry thanks for the offer. As you said i've spent a lot so the cost of those 2 extra tires won't make such a great deal. It's just something I clearly have not thought thoroughly about.

Having doubt about those Toyo up front. In the rear no problem for gripp but up front for handling in the rain, what happens a lot here??? Not sure. And then the difference in height with the rear ones ...

I think the Rain would deter me from running them front or rear.

When new as you read my thread where I did that test with New ones no-worries.

But with wear I think they would simply be freaking DANGEROUS
icon13.gif

Oh, the offer is for real buddy.
I don't make offers just to look good on the internet.

Terry

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
There are no cheap options here, but you could get rid of your rear R888s and buy a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 265/40/19 (or 275/35/19) and 295/35/20 (or 305/30/20). They are one of the best sports tires in the rain plus they have excellent grip (although not quite as much as the R888) and long tread life.

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
never went for cheap options lately
those rims are bought just because I wanted those r888 so they are staying for sure. Wished I had done up front what I wanted and hadn't listened to the rimshop. I wanted to go for 9.5 up front but they advised me that 9
I'll see how wide I can go up front and go for those michelins then.

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
I think anyone who drives a car at 90 MPH with such an imbalance in 'steer probabilities is placing himself and those around him in serious danger. Lucky to have survived so far.

Pretty clear that's not part of his life equation. Adios.

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
for now it still has 255 on all 4 corners.
And the majority here drives around 90 mph on the highway. Most guys even faster. Even with our daily dodge ram thats my cruizing speed. Speed limit is 75 but the fines start around 85. Only when you drive 105+ there is a chance to lose driving licence.

if you think thats crazy then you should visit germany. NO speed limit on most parts of the highway ...

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
....but we still don't know why you need a 315 R comp on the rear if you're not racing....

Sell the R888's, run Pilot Super Sports on all 4 wheels. That's what I'd do.

For putting around on the street....you don't need much.

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
if you're going to have a big hp machine you will need traction. Not for racing but just to make sure you start moving! Nothing fun about staying at the same spot spinning the tires.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Just the thought of driving in the rain with 305 or wider R-comps on the rear and 255-ish street tires up front is scary. The understeer that you get used to in the dry can easily turn into oversteer in the wet just by adding only a little throttle.

There is a reasonably good way of estimating a tire's actual section width on wheels of various widths, either from mfr data and "measuring wheel width" or from your actual section width (330-ish) and its actual measurement at the beads (outside to outside here, to match the inside to inside at the wheel which is the way wheel width is measured).

Norm

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Well, it has been a while since my last post but I only got the car back recently.

I had decided to challenge my luck and go for those Toyo's R888 315 that actualy measured 325 and ordered the correct rims for those tires.

And it worked! They fit without issues. Perfect!

Then I got the idea to try and install some rim tape I had laying around. Looked got I thought.

So did both wheels and I'm pretty happy with the result.

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
cough cough I told you they would fit cough cough.

Hah congratulations on getting the wheels and tires to work.

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
tnx terry

yep they did fit. And it was after talking to that paul that i decided to take the risk. So thanks for that!!!

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
Glad it worked out!

Please let us know the wheel spec. 20x11? What offset?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back