Anyone Have Experience with Shelby Performance Wheels? (CS5)

RareMustang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a set of Shelby CS5 wheels (19 x 9.5) for our Saleen Dan Gurney Edition so that we can box the original Saleen wheels (19 x 9, 19 x 10) before they get damaged. The car came with 285 tires (square) and that's what I would put on the CS5's.

You probably know what I have just learned -- there aren't many 19" diameter wheels that fit S197 Mustangs. It's either a bunch of 18's -- or jump straight up to 20's. I am not interested in 20's because we live in a rural area where the roads aren't always smooth asphalt and the tires sidewalls are thin enough already with 19's on the car.

I only buy high-end wheels/parts for my collector cars but realize I may have to be satisfied with cast wheels made in China, instead of forged wheels made in the USA -- but I'm hoping the Shelby (Holley) wheels are well-made and durable.

Any opinions out there?

Aerofinz

Reaction score
I have a set of CS40's in black and happy. The style you are looking at are very nice, I almost purchased a set myself. I do know the similar chrome powder finish was also used on the CS40 style and did not hold up well, many complaints, hence why I chose black. Hopefully the newer CS5's you are considering have improved the finish process (the CS40's are since discontinued).
Not to hijack your post talking about diff wheels, just my experience with a prior popular Shelby style.
CJ's will very likely have Black Friday/Xmas discounts, last year it was 12%, which is when I almost purchased a set of the CS5's. Good luck!

RareMustang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The CS-40 is a super cool looking wheel because it combines retro and modern design elements. However, it’s a 20” wheel.

Aerofinz

Reaction score
The CS-40 is a super cool looking wheel because it combines retro and modern design elements. However, it’s a 20” wheel.

Correct, in fact I went with 275/35 UHP all seasons on those wheels in a square set-up as I wanted a car to enjoy and not beat me up and scrape every entry (I have another Mustang for that abuse, LOL).

With the less harsh tire (General Gmax RS) vs a hardcore summer only tire, and the taller size (about 3/4") I am very happy with the ride and extra clearance. I am lowered on Steeda Ultra-Lites.

upload_2022-11-18_11-9-27.jpeg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back