Anyone lose their clutch on track?

EdwardGT

forum member
Reaction score
I had an issue yesterday at COTA with my clutch. Slowing from ~130 to 40, I couldn't get the tranny into 2nd. I was heel-toeing and kept blipping the throttle. I finally got it into 2nd and heard a loud bang. A few corners later, I upshifted to 3rd without issue. A few more corners later, when I went to go back to 2nd, I had no pedal pressure. I was able to rev-match it into 3rd and limped back to the paddock.

Oddly, by the time I got back to the garage, some pedal pressure had returned. I thought that I'd boiled the fluid in the clutch line and figured I would try to bleed it. However, once the car was jacked up, it became obvious that the clutch was toast. Fibers were hanging out from the vent on the bottom of the bell housing. That bang I heard was my clutch catastrophically failing.

So now I'm shopping for new clutch.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
any chance you down shifted to early and over spun the clutch?

but then how would it be together enough to continue driving in 3rd but not second and actually get home?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I lost or "glued" my clutch on a 1st to 2nd shift a few years back.
Had to shut the car off, put it in gear and get home on 3rd gear from a start.
because fuck the tow bill.

EdwardGT

forum member
Reaction score
I went back and looked at the video, I may very well have been just over the top of 2nd gear when I shifted and it blew. I'll update this once it's out.

-Edward

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
Changing mine before it goes. Hate the factory clutch. Car will barely shift after about 5-6 hard laps.

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
Mine went at 21K, at VIR

e7dbb3d0cb2144b1ea805cda017ab5b1.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back