Anyone notice Trac Control Problems when rear tires taller than front?

Digital_Synapse

forum member
Reaction score
Well I have 27" fronts and 28.4" rears. I have a few ideas about your problem, some already mentioned above.

What is the UTQG rating on your tires?

I would not really sping my tires 1st or 2nd when I first got my car. After mods and tune on stock tires, I'd spin 1st pretty bad, and a little in second. Now with the beefier tires I don't spin unless I get on it, and even then it's 1st only, 2nd spins if I hammer it and the tires are cold, under 5mi. Mine are a better compound now, go I get less spin, but I used to drive around in Sport Mode, now I just tap it once to turn off TC for the most part, but not all the way (7 sec).

I do know that when I was at the track (stock tires), I had TC on completely, and my car spun madly, all the way down the track, and it never stopped the spinning. Not even when the car started to go sideways! Sooo, I think I broke mine, I hear that's one of the reasons to turn it off at the track, aside from fuel cutting and brakes engaging.

Have you run your car at the track? If so, did you ever run with it on?

Now I can make the TC do its thing if I drive crazy and manange to ge tthe car sideways, like drifting. ;) A friend of mine drifts his 5.0 sometimes, and his TC doesnt turn on til he's about 45' sideways already.

I agree with what someone said earlier, it might have been tampered with because of the numbers your putting down. I know they do that to crazy fast GT500's.

Sorry if I'm no help. Tossing up what info I have since we have similar tire set-ups. I'll test mine out this morning and see what I can make it do. :)

Fishstyx

forum member
Reaction score
Digital_Synapse,

Thanks for the detailed reply. The NT05s have a Utqg rating of 200. I haven't had the chance to really heat them up, just a couple of trips tearing it up on back roads with a couple of GT500s. I tracked the car before the mods and the traction control was fairly aggressive (and noticeable) I go back to the track on May 28 when the car will get a serious workout.

My car is doing what you describe yours did to include the ass end kicking hard left at the top of second and shifting into 3rd.

I should hear from the tuner today as to whether or not he made any changes to AdvanceTrak as part of the tune.

Digital_Synapse

forum member
Reaction score
Tried to get mine to come on, it never did, lol. Only when I was sliding sideways around a merging turn, about 45'.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey dickhead, before you climb up on your high horse of riteousness, why don't you read the fucking thread. My car is running a custom tune and I'm trying to find out if the messages I get are the same as unmodded cars.

So, :asshat: right back atcha champ.

or you could maybe open the owners manual and see the info for all the messages.

So chill out newbie

btw - I've never heard of a tuner changing the set up for the braking system. only thing worked on is the PCM (powertrain) maybe they would turn off the TCS on the owners request.

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
Hey dickhead, before you climb up on your high horse of riteousness, why don't you read the fucking thread. My car is running a custom tune and I'm trying to find out if the messages I get are the same as unmodded cars.

I can just about guarantee that you custom tune doesn't include different text in the info screen.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score

I did read your fucking thread and I have realized that you are a fucking idiot. Your message center is going to read the same as any other 2011 GT. You are just too God Damn Stupid to comprehend what everyone has explained to you in your thread. Go fuck yourself!

Fishstyx

forum member
Reaction score
So,

I compared my car with a friends. He pushes his button the message says "Traction Control Off", I push mine is says "AdvanceTrac Off". Now clearly these are not the same messages which is why I asked someone here. I also asked because it was clear traction control wasn't working since I picked up the car post mods.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help. I suspect TC is disabled in the tune.

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
So,

I compared my car with a friends. He pushes his button the message says "Traction Control Off", I push mine is says "AdvanceTrac Off". Now clearly these are not the same messages which is why I asked someone here. I also asked because it was clear traction control wasn't working since I picked up the car post mods.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help. I suspect TC is disabled in the tune.
I have a serious question..You have all this work done to your car yet cant figure out traction control? Like if it is on or not. Or maybe should call tuner and ask?

Fishstyx

forum member
Reaction score
I have a serious question..You have all this work done to your car yet cant figure out traction control? Like if it is on or not. Or maybe should call tuner and ask?

I started this thread to specifically to learn more about the TC behavior of these cars following mods that affect power and wheel dimensions. I asked because I was curious about the inner workings of the TC system and to reconcile messages I'm getting that don't jive with the manual, not "Like if it is on or not".

Frankly, I'm a little surprised get the Read The Fuck'n Manual line in a place like this with so many cars that bear little resemblance to stock. And by the way, where'd that Skip Shift message go! It's in the manual but now it doesn't come up any more??? How can this be?

Where I come from posting in a thread to dump on an OP asking a question is just bad form, but that's me.

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
I started this thread to specifically to learn more about the TC behavior of these cars following mods that affect power and wheel dimensions. I asked because I was curious about the inner workings of the TC system and to reconcile messages I'm getting that don't jive with the manual, not "Like if it is on or not".

Frankly, I'm a little surprised get the Read The Fuck'n Manual line in a place like this with so many cars that bear little resemblance to stock. And by the way, where'd that Skip Shift message go! It's in the manual but now it doesn't come up any more??? How can this be?

Where I come from posting in a thread to dump on an OP asking a question is just bad form, but that's me.
Ok understandable.

But did you ever think to ask the tuner if he turned it off before asking on here? But you never said you was getting messages in first post. You actually said wasn't getting any messages even if spun the tires. Not till later did you say it was kicking on or a message when car got sideways.

The skip shift is eliminated with every tune i have seen so far. Its one the first things they do.

Last edited:

Fishstyx

forum member
Reaction score
Ok understandable.

But did you ever think to ask the tuner if he turned it off before asking on here? But you never said you was getting messages in first post. You actually said wasn't getting any messages even if spun the tires. Not till later did you say it was kicking on or a message when car got sideways.

The skip shift is eliminated with every tune i have seen so far. Its one the first things they do.
I did ask the shop, but I only closed the loop with them yesterday. Besides, I was interested in the experience of others with similar mods. I also wanted to better understand the discrete inner workings of the TC logic, ideally at an engineering level.

I was never getting messages associated with a loss of traction, that, of course, would indicate the system was kicking in, which it didn't. I asked about the messages with respect to what, exactly, the message center says when the TC button is pressed because the exact content of the message isn't in the manual and what I was getting didn't seem to jive with the manual.

The skip shift comment was sarcasm (obvious I thought). The point was that tune changes do affect what messages a displayed in the message center.

Bottom line, I was curious about a technical detail and yes, I'm a "newbie" when it comes to S197s. That's the reason I registered here, to learn from other enthusiasts. This site advertises itself at The Place for S197 tech. Calling out the owners manual as the best source for answers to obscure tech questions on these modded cars just strikes me as bizarre.

Digital_Synapse

forum member
Reaction score
And you did this because.........?
That is going to give the traction and ABS fits.
Not really, mine are 27/28.4, not all that much different from his, and the GT500 SVTPP.

My traction control is fully functional and it takes a lot of wheelspin to get it to come on.
So does mine...after a crazy night at the track. I see you run yours too. I wonder...

jestang

forum member
Reaction score
Mine traction control gave me a fit once on the dyno with the stock wheels and tires .... was supposed to be completely off but it kicked in trying to come up to speed. Does anyone know if Ford ever changed the traction control calibration/program or should all cars be the same?

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
That is a big deference in size. I am surprised not getting abs fault. Being wheels are rotating at different speeds.

I put a tire that was quite a bit taller on my rear w/o having any problems on my 2007, do you really think it will be an issue on the 2011s? I do not think i'd agree with your statement unless there are different sensors or other readings the new ones have. on my 2011 using those same tires i'll only have a very minor difference in tire height though so I probably wont see any problems either.

erod550

Reaction score
I would think you can read as you are typing these responses. You own a 2011 so why don't you disable the traction control and READ what is says on your message center. Do we have to hold your hand and do all the work for you? Just follow the above described steps which were plainly laid out in your owners manual and READ what it says on the info center. :asshat:

Uh, he did say what his message center says when he presses the button. Before you call someone out on reading comprehension, you should probably read the whole thread yourself.

For reference, when I press the button once, it says "Traction Control Disabled." If I press twice with the brake pressed, I get "Sport Mode Enabled." If I hold for 6-7 seconds with the brake pressed, I get "AdvanceTrac Disabled," which is how I drive 99% of the time.

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
I put a tire that was quite a bit taller on my rear w/o having any problems on my 2007, do you really think it will be an issue on the 2011s? I do not think i'd agree with your statement unless there are different sensors or other readings the new ones have. on my 2011 using those same tires i'll only have a very minor difference in tire height though so I probably wont see any problems either.
I know if sensors read the rears and fronts ware moving at different speeds or say fronts not at all like on dyno. You will get abs fault just liek when on dyno.

Seen it ion GM cars also when running different size tires. Different sizes shouldnt be a issue with minimal size but going 2" i can see it causing a issue. Then again maybe i am over thinking it when compared to being dynoed..

J.Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
For reference, when I press the button once, it says "Traction Control Disabled." If I press twice with the brake pressed, I get "Sport Mode Enabled." If I hold for 6-7 seconds with the brake pressed, I get "AdvanceTrac Disabled," which is how I drive 99% of the time.

Hmmm....gotta check mine. I think I only have "Traction Control Disabled" after I hit it once and then "AdvanceTrac Disabled" if I hold it for 6-7 seconds with the brake pressed - don't think I ever get the "Sport Mode Enabled" no matter what I do. I wonder if that is because I have a Brembo-equipped car? I know there is a different calibration for it - maybe it's in "Sport Mode" all the time thus leaving the only other two settings.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back