Anyone paint body parts with a rattle can?

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I want to paint my side skirts myself because I just want to give it a try rather than paying a body shop to do it.

I've seen plenty of diy videos and threads and it can have great results if done right IMO.

Now where to buy some good premixed rattle can paint?

Any one try http://www.automotivetouchup.com/index1.htm ?

Johnf78

forum member
Reaction score
I have done it with my engine bay before. I got it at an auto body paint shop. The one thing I noticed is that it isn't as durable as the real deal. Just my experience, I am not sure if they are all the same.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
I painted the lower quarters on my daughters Escape... ordered paint, primer, and clearcoat online. took my time with the prep until I had it how I wanted and then shot some thin layers of paint on there. last coat was a thick one and then let it sit overnight. Shot some clear on it in the morning. Let it sit another 24 hours and then did a light sanding and buffed it. for rattle can work it turned out pretty good!

My wife and neighbor couldn't tell where any work was done but I could see that the color was slightly brighter (new versus 5yr old abused paint) and there was a small line where the old clear and the new clear met. I for the life of me could not get them to fade in to each other completely.

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
I painted my Agent 47 mirrors and SHR window louvers from my old red car with rattle cans. The paint was matched and special ordered from some website, I don't remember which. They turned out OK, but not perfect. 5-10 foot paint jobs for sure.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
get a PREVAIL sprayer. you can spray the exact same paint as a bodyshop with them. it's basically a mix it your self reusable rattle can.
I use them a lot for small touch up paint jobs without getting out the air compressor.
you can spray catalyzed paint with them no problem. make sure you clean it afterward.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_498963-53660-0267-6_1z0x14j__?productId=4774135&pl=1

they are available at most quality hardware stores.

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
I want to paint my side skirts myself because I just want to give it a try rather than paying a body shop to do it.

I've seen plenty of diy videos and threads and it can have great results if done right IMO.

I've used them before on a couple of occasions with great results and I have a metallic paint which can sometimes be tricky.

My first time with automotivetouchup.com was for my side louvers.

Second time was for my front spoiler.

Third time was for the Street Wing (not on car anymore)

Anyways, you can see the good match and clear coat shine. Was easy and pretty painless. Though you have to use proper technique, it is more about the prep work that will make or break a good job.

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score

Yes, I have ordered from them. Excellent, paint, clear and can design. I re-did the step boards on a 2004 Expedition and my front lower Roush spoiler on my 06 Mustang. No issues with their products.

hunter1022

forum member
Reaction score
Practice first on something to get your distance and movement down before jumping on your real part. I have used touch up from Auto touch up Exact Match with pretty good results. Besides practice the prep you do makes or breaks your paint job.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back