Anyone run Eibach R1 or R2 coilovers?

CobraRed

Creator of Tools
Reaction score
Fair points

at the entry level, this S197 market has made it clear that we need something lower cost.
I can only speak for myself, but there's a bit of difference between working on my mustang and working on my friends S2K and M3.
Getting a largly stock S2K or M3 ready for an experienced driver to modestly push some limits at a track day basically takes a couple hours, wheels/tires, pads and coil-overs.

For me, it takes a few months of build planning, acquiring relocation brackets, mounts, lower and upper control arms, PHB+brace or watts, sway bar maybe some brake ducts, pads, wheels/tires and then coil-overs. Yes you can have fun and learn without all those extras, but not actually push the platform to anything approaching limits.

I may come across as looking cheap if you focus on one part in my build (like this thread is focusing on) - but en mass I'm way outspending my peers on suspension parts. Sure you need to prioritize where you spend the real coin, and dampers are a good contender for taking the cake, but it's not like I and people like me just don't care or are ignorant.

Last edited:

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
I have the R-2s and have rebuilt mine 3 times. But I drive on mine daily as well. They also have over 75k on them. So im sure they needed it.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Serious question to Vorshlag.

What would you recommend opposed to the Eibach R2's in the $2400 price range?

Terry already replied with pretty much what I'd say, except he left out a shock that we work with, but it's not yet available for the S197. And we've pleaded with Bilstein to make it. It's the PSS10 and it falls in between their standard dampers (that we carry) and their entry level track dampers, the Club Sport kits that we usually don't carry because at that price point the MCS looks better and we have the ability to tailor it.

We've used the PSS10 for other cars, particularly spirited street cars, which is exactly what they are designed for. The PSS9/10 have a bad reputation in some circles, but when I investigate why, it's usually because they are being used for something other than they are recommended for, or way beyond their design. The most common complaints are Miatas, who tend to track them a lot, and BMW E36 customers, who over-lower their cars on them.

A tidbid about the differences between the PSS9 and PSS10 models, they are basicly the same, but the 10 is an evolution of the 9. Both adjust rebound and compression with the same knob - appropriate for street use, but not ideal for track use. The clicks on the PSS10 are more linear than the PSS9, as in each click gives you about the same difference in the valving.

The absence of the PSS10 for the S197 is what led us to work out what was needed to make a better sport suspension out of the shortened Bilsteins. Sorry for the vaporware recommendation, but I know not everyone drives an S197 100% of the time and didn't want this shock to be forgotten. And if anyone has more sway with Bilstein than we do, please push them to bring it to market. :)

Here's a typical setup we built for a MINI.
B61G8949_1-M.jpg

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Here's a typical setup we built for a MINI.

B61G8949_1-M.jpg

And what Jason forgot to mention was - we changed the springs from the included progressive springs to linear 60mm coilover springs from Swift, on that MINI PSS10 kit, above. Just like Dept of Boost said... the progressive springs went right in the trash. This is done due to soft rates, or a hard-to-tune-around progressive spring feel, or the physical constraints of the larger diameter springs.

_DSC1522-M.jpg

Many (not all) Bilstein PSS9/PSS10 kits come with progressive springs that re-used the OEM upper perches in many cases, like this PSS9 kit above for the BMW E36. We cannot order them without their ride height adjusters or springs (we have tried!) so you end up having to just throw away the progressive/beehive springs then pay extra for proper coilover springs to get decent spring rates and a more consistent handling feel

DSC_3184-M.jpg

Jason wanted me to point out that "progressive" springs CAN be used in some racing situations but they are MUCH more complicated to setup. We have done rally cars with "dual spring" progressive setups, but its a complicated explanation and works in different conditions than most road racers need.

10272671_10154328042465113_3076444496158254372_o-M.jpg

So I shouldn't make blanket statements that "progressive springs are bad", just that... its complicated. They can work in certain situations, like the Pikes Peak Subaru above (the dual-spring shocks for that car are one paragraph up). This had a very specific set of needs where a dual spring rate "progressive" setup proved to work well.

_DSC1676-M.jpg

On many BMWs (as well as the MINIs), the large diameter from the OEM springs, or even the tops of these "tapered" springs (60mm at bottom, 120mm OEM size up top) require our OEM upper spring perches. That adds cost. Then the physically larger diameter of the springs eats up inboard camber travel room, due to physical constraints within the strut tower on many BMWs. This doesn't seem to be the case on an S197, which has "big everything". ;)

I can only speak for myself, but there's a bit of difference between working on my mustang and working on my friends S2K and M3.

Getting a largely stock S2K or M3 ready for an experienced driver to modestly push some limits at a track day basically takes a couple hours, wheels/tires, pads and coil-overs.

For me, it takes a few months of build planning, acquiring relocation brackets, mounts, lower and upper control arms, PHB+brace or watts, sway bar maybe some brake ducts, pads, wheels/tires and then coil-overs. Yes you can have fun and learn without all those extras, but not actually push the platform to anything approaching limits.

I may come across as looking cheap if you focus on one part in my build (like this thread is focusing on) - but en mass I'm way outspending my peers on suspension parts. Sure you need to prioritize where you spend the real coin, and dampers are a good contender for taking the cake, but it's not like I and people like me just don't care or are ignorant.
DSC_0231a-M.jpg

Good point, and I agreed completely. The various 3 series BMWs from the 1992-on and the S2000s are excellent chassis with just better OEM suspension designs than any Mustang (until the S550) has ever come with.

DSC_7493-M.jpg

We actually have more knowledge and experience with BMWs than any other car maker's products. They just don't need as many "doo-dads" that the S197 does, to fix the "factory flaws" and compromises that all OEM cars come with. Hell, I'm building an E46 BMW to race next year (with LSx power) now that our S197 has sold. Its not going to be slower, I can assure you that... :D

DSC_9149-M.jpg

Now that the S550 has properly designed IRS and a very BMW-like dual ball joint front suspension, they are proving to better handling cars in stock form than the S197. There's not going to be any gains from a lot of the doo-dads made for the older Mustangs. The S197 was a HUGE leap forward from the SN95/Fox, don't get me wrong, but the S550 is another big advance as well. Other than the dang weight...

IMG_0528-S.jpg
DSC_4878-S.jpg

Even when we weigh them and control the variables, the weight range for the S550 can vary a lot... just look at these two V8 GTs. The Performance Pack brakes and wheels plus interior options on the yellow car add up to 123 pound difference on these two, with both were nearly out of gas (fuel weight can make a big difference so we try to weigh all cars with zero fuel and/or show the fuel level gauge in our data/pictures).

B61G0944-M.jpg

So in conclusion, on this huge "off topic" arc we've gone here, sometimes things are more complicated than they seem. There are a lot of variables and on a race car suspension and "everything depends on everything else". There are many reasons why we choose the springs, shocks, and other suspensions parts we use - based off of experience with 6000+ customers and thousands of cars we have worked on, built, serviced at the track, or campaigned in competition. Not trying to sound like the "know it all", either, but this is all we do for a living.

Cheers,

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Whatever happened to those AST units you used to sell?

You can't really have AST's for any amount of money right now it seems. AST wasn't even part of the conversation when I was deciding what to do for my C5 (ended up with MCS internal doubles). Not sure if the hold up is Holland or California, but it seems like shocks aren't getting to the market for whatever reason. I know they went through a US distributor change last year.

That being said, I know of a set of S197 4150's with springs, camber plates, and rear ride height adjusters for sale for 2200. Interested? PM me.

408Stang

forum member
Reaction score
Those look like a decent option.

This is what I see as cons with those:

-Gotta get under the car (while hot) to adjust. Not something you need to do with the R2's.

-They have progressive springs....which should be put in the garbage. And then replaces with linear rate springs, which represents a cost.

-They are twin tube/twin piston non gas charged dampers (basically motorcycle forks). Not a true mono tube. They seem to work pretty well (I have done a lot of work with the Clubsports which are effectively the same), but I prefer a mono tube gas charge setups.

Again, I'm nit picking. The KW's are pretty good. I would rather have the extra features and the mono tube design of the R2's myself.
I admit that I got my KW V3's for free... So I can't really complain. As for their performance... I have about 2 years use on them and about 4-5 autoX uses on them and maybe 3000 miles tops. No leaks and no issues whatsoever.

I have placed first in two of the events, second in the other, and top 10 in another... Usually about a 150 to 200 car field.... So I think they are pretty good. But I realize that statement means nothing... Could be my "mad skills" at driving, could just be luck, maybe the other drivers sucked... Who knows.

I liked the adjustability of the KW's... I corner balanced my car, tweaked some alignment settings and got to racing.

In a few days I'll be at a HPDE event at a large track so I'll see how they do there.

Just my. 02

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
There's no way to use those JRi rear dampers without modifying the chassis, is there?

Yep, drill out the OEM rubber bushings and install with appropriate sized washers. If NVH is a concern, I recommend this method. With the bearings mounted top and bottom the ring and pinion noise runs right into the trunk where it is amplified. Undetectable with the radio on though.

claudermilk

Reaction score
And while I'd rather get people into MCS TT1 coilovers at the entry level,

A question on those since we are off on this related OT diversion. What is the rebuild requirements/interval on these guys? Would they be remotely appropriate for a DD/sometime HPDE & autocross car? This set is on my radar for when budget somehow becomes available down the road, but this thread has raised that concern in my mind. I would love the improved perofrmance potential and possible DD ride improvement, but if I have to take the suspension apart to rebuild annually, the advantages fade significantly.

I am Legend

forum member
Reaction score
A question on those since we are off on this related OT diversion. What is the rebuild requirements/interval on these guys? Would they be remotely appropriate for a DD/sometime HPDE & autocross car? This set is on my radar for when budget somehow becomes available down the road, but this thread has raised that concern in my mind. I would love the improved perofrmance potential and possible DD ride improvement, but if I have to take the suspension apart to rebuild annually, the advantages fade significantly.

I daily drive on my MCS Double Adj, I will report back when/if I have an issue. At some point my car will be a dedicated autoX car and I won't DD on them but at the moment thats not the case. When I bought the coilovers I knew that the added level of performance was my main focus and was well aware that if it meant that they needed to get rebuilt at some point or often, thats was going to be the price to pay for suspension component that perform at a high level. Racing is full of compromises, you need to pick the parts that are right for you which means getting serious about what your intended use of your car is. Perhaps TT1's are high price to pay if your 90/10 daily/track (go Bilstein's) but if your car is 70/30 track/daily your going to have a setup that performs extremely well and is livable on the street with an eye towards preventive maintenance to maintain its effectiveness (rebuilds). I think Modernbeat may have mentioned what the rebuild intervals are in a previous post?

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
3 years? Check the pressure and see if there's a leak. If there isn't, you're good.

Dampers without remotes have a lot fewer places for an N2 leak to happen.

And, it just depends on your use and goals. Is it better to have your shocks gone through every year? Probably. But, if you're competing to that level, I doubt the cost of some seals and labor is going to be a deterrent.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Whatever happened to those AST units you used to sell?

To answer that is so complicated.... :/ We were the AST distributor for 4 years ('06-09), and we did all of the trade shows and their warranty work for all AST sets sold in North America, which was both costly and painful. AST can and has made a lot of great products, but the North American distributorship has changed hands twice since us, and there have been major personnel changes back at the Holland factory, not much new product development, the Moton acquisition, price increases - just to name a few of the challenges.

DSC_3027-S.jpg
DSC_3029-S.jpg

That's only a sliver of the issues, but there's so much going on there I don't want to get into it further. We are technically still an AST and Moton dealer, and to this day we've probably still sold more ASTs than any other dealer on the planet, but due to these issues and excessive lead times we disabled all of the AST and Moton entries on our website in 2013-14. I'm hoping there's a turn-around soon, but its been tough to be an AST dealer for the past few years. Again, they had some of the best and most innovative products at certain times, and I would like to be able to sell these again some day. Mostly it comes down to "unknown lead times", that can be very long.

A question on those since we are off on this related OT diversion. What is the rebuild requirements/interval on these guys? Would they be remotely appropriate for a DD/sometime HPDE & autocross car? ... if I have to take the suspension apart to rebuild annually, the advantages fade significantly.

_DSC7499%20copy-S.jpg
_DSC7481%20copy-S.jpg

The more complicated a shock gets (remote reservoirs are a big factor, at left) the shorter the rebuild interval gets

Monotube adjustable shock rebuild intervals aren't a fixed quantity... its depends on so many variables. Usually you have to rebuild a monotube after:

1. It loses Nitrogen pressure, after which is will leak hydraulic fluid.
2. An adjuster malfunctions - like if it sticks, or spins more than the allotted number of "clicks" or rotations.
3. Any time there's a hydraulic leak at a seal, fitting or hose.
4. Something is bent or broken, from crash damage - obviously.

I've seen customers go 5-6 years before needing a look and others that need rebuilds every 2 seasons. Pro race teams and rally cars are much harder on their dampers and tend to rebuild them much more often, usually from crash damage.

DSC_7965-M.jpg

If a monotube shock has hoses and remote canisters, that adds complexity and places for a leak. Lots of times these leaks have to do how the remotes are mounted, like if a hose has a swivel or is kinked when it is mounted. Or when they are near extreme sources of heat. Or if they are clamped in the wrong place, which can make a piston stick in the bore.

i-mqcWm9p-S.jpg
i-T7QPPHw-S.jpg

Torn or worn seals eventually cause leaks. Dirty/old fluid doesn't work as effectively

Shock fluid is a sciences all into itself, and the fluid wears and gets dirty - just like any other oil or fluid on a street or race car. "Low drag" seals in race shocks can and do allow more dirty to get into the fluid, but on a pro team the fluid is changed regularly, and the shocks are serviced often. The typical MCS TT1/TT2 doesn't use low drag seals, so they don't get as nasty, but tighter seals make for a tiny bit of stiction (like almost all dampers have). The shims in the "tree stack" of a monotube damper are a wear item as well, as they have to flex every time they are pushed. Eventually they can crack - but it takes a LOT of force or a LOT of cycles to do this, and they are usually just inspected, cleaned, and re-used (potentially for many many years). I am probably forgetting something, too... this isn't a perfect list.

i-4GbmRk2-S.jpg
i-MNJ5w2Q-S.jpg

The type of adjuster assembly is crucial (left) as is designing the proper body and shaft length for the application (right)

Sometimes long term reliability has to do with the manufacturer, and how they design and build their shocks, the seals they use, the assembler's care that day. There are a lot of crazy tight tolerances on dampers, and its easy to have a nick in a plating, or a tolerance off, a seal installed backwards, or a whole pattern of issues. Sometimes there are some weird adjuster mechanism designs that are more prone to sticking or breaking. Or shafts that have poor chrome finish, which can cause leaks. Internal bushings and seals are mostly very good in higher end monotube shocks, but the overseas sweatshop stuff is usually pretty poor. Flexing in the strut housing can cause adverse wear, and the wall thickness in the housings can vary from company to company. There are so many factors that it could fill a book...

Drift%20Smoke%20-6-X2-S.jpg
_DSC1759-S.jpg

A serious off-track incident can usually mean you have one or more shocks to rebuild...

If a shock is designed with the right amount of stroke (not as easy as you'd think) and installed in a manner that won't allow it to bottom internally (which can cause over-pressure situations and/or damage mechanical parts), normally you can get 3-4 years between rebuilds on a quality monotube damper. That's assuming normal racing use, no crashes, etc. Some folks like to jump curbs and that affects wear. Sometimes people crash, which can blow out one more more damper seals. This happened to me in my Road Atlanta off track incident last year (above), and two of the MCS RR2 dampers on our Mustang had leaking seals that had to be replaced after this event (but were otherwise perfect). I bent two front wheels badly and flattened a tire, as well as a fractured vertebrae - it was a big hit, but the shock repairs were two $10 seals and some fluid.

DSC_3117-S.jpg
20140621_093558-S.jpg

Daily driving on monotubes can be done, but these conditions can be as harsh or worse than track conditions, when you consider potholes and poor roads. Some folks are attentive and can avoid big road heaves and potholes better than others, and they tend to be the folks who don't jump curbs on track every lap, too. Yes, even in the age of "blame everyone else", sometimes we have to take responsibility for our own actions. Driving style can very much affect the life of any part on a race car, especially dampers. I'm owning up to this myself, and just wish customers would tell us when they crashed or had an off and we're doing a shock rebuild. "Hmm, wonder why this shaft is bent...?" ;) Hey, stuff happens on a race track and even on the street that is sometimes (but very rarely) completely out of our control.

So "rebuild interval" estimates are complicated to answer, but it mostly depends on the shock design, machining tolerances, seals/O-ring designs, intended use (rally vs road race vs street), and manufacturer's build quality - but also it on the end user's installation, how they are driven, and the conditions you put them through. Everyone should inspect their monotube dampers for visible hydraulic leaks before and after every race day, and remove them and check for Nitrogen fill 1-2 times a season (easy - remove, compress, see if they extend under gas pressure). Many monotube designs have user-serviceable Nitrogen fill ports as well.

_DSC8873-S.jpg
_DSC9935%20copy-S.jpg

Since we have rebuilt or installed a lot of different brands of shocks over the years at Vorshlag we get to see all sorts of brands and issues, after which patterns and trends can be seen. We use these experiences to help us determine which brands we want to sell, install, and help develop new applications for. Cost is also a factor, of course, as there are some really high end brands we don't carry simply because they are hard to sell to our customers. Its all part just of the equation...

Hope that helps?

Last edited:

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
The general consensus I am getting here is that while a quality monotube may have to be rebuilt periodically, the conditions that would cause a rebuild would have likely ruined a cheap damper, which often can't be rebuilt. If you are on any shock without having it replaced or gone through after 2-3 years max, you are wrong. They are wear items.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back