Anyone running E85 on a N/A motor?

1/4MILEMUSTANG

forum member
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has ran E85 on higher compression 3v motor with good results? E85 is $1.99/gal right now and with its higher octane rating and lower cost compared to 93 its looking pretty good to me right now so I can drive my car without taking out a second mortgage to put gas in it this summer! I hear different stories how you have to have teflon lined tank,hose,etc.... then people say they just put more pump and injector in their car and have been driving it for years now without issues. Any ideas guys?

Memphis

I Aim to Misbehave
Reaction score
Subscribing...F#@! $4+gallon. Cant even remember the last time I saw fuel at $1.99 and lots of E85 here

1/4MILEMUSTANG

forum member
Reaction score
Subscribing...F#@! $4+gallon. Cant even remember the last time I saw fuel at $1.99 and lots of E85 here

Lol, I knew i wasnt the only one! its not readily available by me but for the savings and ability to drive my car i'll haul a 55 gallon drum of it back and forth! I'm thinking 60lb injectors and a bosch 044 pump setup would be plenty for a N/A setup but i will probably add a 250 shot later if im pleased with the results. I Dont know how true it is but I keep hearing that the same motor on pump 93 will tend to make around 20 more hp/30 ft/lb torque so there may also be another added benefit of running it!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has ran E85 on higher compression 3v motor with good results? E85 is $1.99/gal right now and with its higher octane rating and lower cost compared to 93 its looking pretty good to me right now so I can drive my car without taking out a second mortgage to put gas in it this summer! I hear different stories how you have to have teflon lined tank,hose,etc.... then people say they just put more pump and injector in their car and have been driving it for years now without issues. Any ideas guys?

I'm building a shortblock with flat tops right now. Just got all the parts rounded up, they will go to the machine shop next week.

Currently running E85 with a Whipple. Stock lines, etc. No "E85 upgrades" other than larger injectors and a few changes to the tune like stoich and timing. No issues. It's a good fuel for internal combustion engines.

I probably won't make the switch to na until I find a local buyer for the Whipple.

I can tell you that with the Whipple and E85, 9.4 cr I'm getting 14-14.5 mpg combined driving, 17-18 on the highway. I imagine it would be higher with the stock cams.

1/4MILEMUSTANG

forum member
Reaction score
I'm building a shortblock with flat tops right now. Just got all the parts rounded up, they will go to the machine shop next week.

Currently running E85 with a Whipple. Stock lines, etc. No "E85 upgrades" other than larger injectors and a few changes to the tune like stoich and timing. No issues. It's a good fuel for internal combustion engines.

I probably won't make the switch to na until I find a local buyer for the Whipple.

I can tell you that with the Whipple and E85, 9.4 cr I'm getting 14-14.5 mpg combined driving, 17-18 on the highway. I imagine it would be higher with the stock cams.

There is some info im looking for. I know it burns alot cleaner. I can use my LC-1 with E85 correct just need to have a richer target A/F? I ditched my stock fuel tank and am putting an aluminum fuel cell in the spare tire well to position the weight in a better area of the car but was told I "have" to teflon coat the aluminum cell. I talked to the jarrod and christy at Lethal about fore precision having a option for teflon coating their pumps and hats but evidently they discontinued it due to the lack on the need for it.

Who is good at tuning the 3v with E85?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
There is some info im looking for. I know it burns alot cleaner. I can use my LC-1 with E85 correct just need to have a richer target A/F? I ditched my stock fuel tank and am putting an aluminum fuel cell in the spare tire well to position the weight in a better area of the car but was told I "have" to teflon coat the aluminum cell. I talked to the jarrod and christy at Lethal about fore precision having a option for teflon coating their pumps and hats but evidently they discontinued it due to the lack on the need for it.

Who is good at tuning the 3v with E85?

The af measured by a wideband will be the same as gas. However to get that af a different air fuel mixture will be needed. If you can wrap your head around lambda it's pretty easy. As long as the correct stoichometric value is used in the tune everything will still be based off of 1 lambda.

The main difference between my pump gas and e85 tunes are the stoich. The fuel tables are the same. For pump gas I use 14.1 and my local e85 tests out at around 80% so I use 10.2 for it.

I know that VMP will do email e85 tunes.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I thought you needed to upgrade the lines to run e85?

1/4MILEMUSTANG

forum member
Reaction score
The af measured by a wideband will be the same as gas. However to get that af a different air fuel mixture will be needed. If you can wrap your head around lambda it's pretty easy. As long as the correct stoichometric value is used in the tune everything will still be based off of 1 lambda.

The main difference between my pump gas and e85 tunes are the stoich. The fuel tables are the same. For pump gas I use 14.1 and my local e85 tests out at around 80% so I use 10.2 for it.

I know that VMP will do email e85 tunes.

Makes sense. I'll have to read up on it more to get it embedded in my thoughts..lol
Has anyone had any experience with Rick from ATS tuning their cars on here?
I thought you needed to upgrade the lines to run e85?

You'll get different answers every where you go man. I'm changing my fuel system out to a fuel cell and return style setup so I might as well just get teflon lined hose to begin with.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees. To go the same distance you will need about 42% more e85. So if your e85 is $1.99/gallon, it will cost about $2.83 in real cost to be equal.

PUNISHERSTANG

Patrolman
Reaction score
But you will go that far with more horsepower and torque and your exhaust will smell like delicious buttery popcorn!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees. To go the same distance you will need about 42% more e85. So if your e85 is $1.99/gallon, it will cost about $2.83 in real cost to be equal.

I see a real world 20% difference in mileage. What do you get with e85? Or don't you use it?

1/4MILEMUSTANG

forum member
Reaction score
$2.83 worth of E85 to go the same distance as $3.90 worth of premium and get around a 105 octane rating looks like E85 it is! Lol

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I see a real world 20% difference in mileage. What do you get with e85? Or don't you use it?

I don't use it for three reasons.

1.) The difference in cost where I am is $3/gal e85 versus $4/gal for premium and I gotta use more to go the same distance.
2.) Our fuel systems don't support it without modification. ie...more money
3.) Only 4 stations in Rochester NY sell it.

Foe me, I don't think the expense to change is worth it. The actual savings is negligible. If I spend the money I would spend on upgrading on gas I could by quite a bit of gas.

Others might think it's worthwhile. To each there own. Don't only look at the positives. Look at both sides.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

I don't use it for three reasons.

1.) The difference in cost where I am is $3/gal e85 versus $4/gal for premium.
2.) Our fuel systems don't support it without modification. ie...more money
3.) Only 4 stations in Rochester NY sell it.

Foe me, I don't think the expense to change is worth it. The actual savings is negligible. If I spend the money I would spend on upgrading on gas I could by quite a bit of gas.

Others might think it's worthwhile. To each there own. Don't only look at the positives. Look at both sides.

So how did you feel qualified to comment on fuel usage if you have no experience?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So how did you feel qualified to comment on fuel usage if you have no experience?

Plenty of reported accounts online for me to make an informed objective decision of what I feel is not worth it. I only point out that there are other considerations that should be considered in this choice.

Ultimately it's your choice. Be informed. Attack me if you want. I stand by my observations and opinions.

I don't actually have to do something to form an objective opinion on it.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Plenty of reported accounts online for me to make an informed objective decision of what I feel is not worth it. I only point out that there are other considerations that should be considered in this choice.

Ultimately it's your choice. Be informed. Attack me if you want. I stand by my observations and opinions.

I'm not attacking you. I have real experiece with the fuel. You do not. I did latch on to your 42% statement because it is false based on my experience. I will also admit to having a chip on my shoulder when it comes to ethanol. I've read and heard alot of false info over the years (I've been using an ethanol blend whenever I could since it was first available in South Dakota in 1979, over 30 years ago).

I'll add to this discussion that my reason for building an 11.5 cr motor is to get the most out of e85 that I can, along the same line of thought as the OP. I don't know if it will get more efficiency (not just mpg but also hp) buy I'm willing to try.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll add to this discussion that my reason for building an 11.5 cr motor is to get the most out of e85 that I can, along the same line of thought as the OP. I don't know if it will get more efficiency (not just mpg but also hp) buy I'm willing to try.

Please post your results because this is the one area not enough data exists. If building an engine for the fuel proves positive it will be very interesting reading. And I welcome the results.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back