Anyone used convertible in parade, need help

Toy4Bob

forum member
Reaction score
I have been asked to haul someone in a parade, and they want to sit up in the backseat. I don't want them to sit on the lowered roof frame.... I put some pressure on it and I don't think it would be a good idea to sit on it (200 lb guy)

Been thinking maybe a beanbag chair might lift him up about halfway, but can't find one. Obviously don't want to use a prop that would damage the rear seats. Could I take the rear seat out for a better / flatter surface, maybe then be about to use some chair or something?

any ideas at all guys would help.....

BMWM3

Always Online
Reaction score
I have been asked to haul someone in a parade, and they want to sit up in the backseat. I don't want them to sit on the lowered roof frame.... I put some pressure on it and I don't think it would be a good idea to sit on it (200 lb guy)

Been thinking maybe a beanbag chair might lift him up about halfway, but can't find one. Obviously don't want to use a prop that would damage the rear seats. Could I take the rear seat out for a better / flatter surface, maybe then be about to use some chair or something?

any ideas at all guys would help.....

don't do it, had to replace mine when i did that, the fucker, sat back to far and cracked the glass like frame and bent the arms , when it drove i could hear wind comin in likethe windows was down.

SkidAce

Reaction score
Anybody think of a seat solution? I find myself potentially in the same situation. (Well its a girl at least).

Agent007

forum member
Reaction score
If you take the rear seat out you are left with two extremely deep wells where your ass goes and it is far from ideal for sitting anything on other than the factory seat bottom. The only place I would suggest having him set is on the area above the quarter panel, where a light bar would be mounted.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have an auto or manual? If manual, parade driving is a PITA. They go so damn slow that you're constantly on the clutch, brake, and gas trying to maintain the distance. Even tried one time dropping my idle to 600 rpm. Still was a PITA. Now I just say no.

Cal26Stang

forum member
Reaction score
Don't do it, tell them to find someone with a pickup truck and sit on the sidelines...maybe while enjoying a couple cold beverages

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
I did it for the Veteran's day parade in 2010. The Honored Veteran sat on the lowered top, caused no damage. I put a "fender gripper" cover on the top, and another on the back seats. It was a great pleasure to roll down PCH past the crowds, whose favorite shout was "Thank you for your service!" The Honored Veteran was very, very happy with the whole arrangement. his wife sat in the passenger seat and was as excited as a little girl.

I missed it last year because they fired the guy who arranged for the convertibles the time I did it, and the new guy must not have needed me. I'll do it again, but only once a year. The local Mustang Club has a regular cadre of people who do it. The only problems they ever speak of is women who don't want to take off their high heels before stepping on the seats. No take-off, no ride.

Otherwise, the whole thing is like car shows: you have to get there very early, you get to wait a couple hours while everyone forms up and gets organized, then you loaf along the route for fifteen minutes or half an hour, and then you go home. Not really my cup of car activity.

medium800.jpg

Last edited:

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
The little ones made me knees shake.. They did not stay there for long

Attachments

• DSC01676.jpg
    DSC01676.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC01674.jpg
    DSC01674.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 26

pfaut

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend sitting on the folded up roof. I took a close look as my roof went down one time. One of the bars that makes up the frame ends up less than an inch above the glass. I doubt it would take too much pressure to make contact and risk popping the glass. If you break the glass, that's a $600 part plus another $500 to install (ask me how I know). Also I doubt the frame is strong enough to support the weight of a person or two without bending out of shape.

topbliss

Reaction score
2 years ago my wife (110 lbs) sat there for a parade on my car. No damage.. Would not try it with a 200 lb person though

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
grab a piece of particle/plywood board and cover it with fabric. make sure it lays over the entire width of the vehicle and overhangs the roof frame by 1/2". this will evenly distribute the weight over the rear roof frame. it handled up to a 220lb person when we did this for a local parade with a few vert shelby cars.

SkidAce

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input.

I will either do a plywood/fabric support or something.

But nobody will be sitting on the actual leading roof edge.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back