Attention Livernois Tune Customers

Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports
Official Vendor
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Seeing the posts about cars breaking the number 8 piston, we would rather be proactive than reactive and send out new files to everyone with our tunes. We've made some precautionary modifications that will not affect power.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As of Friday, I sent these files to everyone I have an email address for. If you did not receive an email from me, please send a pm with your name and email address and I will send you a new file.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Regards,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Rick LeBlanc[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Livernois Motorsports
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
This is kinda scary. Can you elaborate on what the issue is and if we all need a fix if we have an aftermarket tune? Please share your thoughts. Don't be worried about stepping on anyones toes, as a community we all need updated info so we can all be safe.

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
This is kinda scary. Can you elaborate on what the issue is and if we all need a fix if we have an aftermarket tune? Please share your thoughts. Don't be worried about stepping on anyones toes, as a community we all need updated info so we can all be safe.
Basically, they are returning the knock sensors to the OEM calibration.

Night-Mare

Reaction score
Google it, I have seen this issue come up on a number of boards. There have been a few people that have had the #8 cylinder run lean and causes the piston rings to fail. Do a search, the pics are pretty nasty and its causing a number of folks to pay a nice chunk out of pocket as the dealers are denying thier warranty claims. This isn't to say that it is a problem with the tunes, perhaps a problem with the pistons but the tune's seem to exaggerate the problem. Doesn't see very widescale, perhaps it was just a few folks that got some defective parts...but perhaps it has something to do with tune issues, who knows.

Regardless, kudos to livernois for making adjustments so quickly. I just became away of this issue last night and they are already on it.

Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I don't know of any that have failed with our tune, however our tuner Dan wanted to make some changes to ensure we don't see any. I can't comment on exactly what was changed since I am not the tuner, but I know that the knock sensor sensitivity was put back to OEM spec.

Thank you,

Rick

Night-Mare

Reaction score
You sir are a good business man with action like this and get mega kudos from me. Rather than sit on the sidelines and play the "it's the pistons!" game, you took preemptive measures to prevent possible mechanical failure. Not to say that there IS a problem with tunes, but the 'just in case' provides consumers like myself a better perceived value and quality. Smart move and thanks!

KonaGT

forum member
Reaction score
Rick if you don't mind, is it Dan Millen who does the tuning?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I tried Googling this with no success. Is this a problem on stock motors or tuned ones? Is it only forced induction, or are N/A motors with mild bolt-ons and tunes affected?

jsnyng

Reaction score
I tried Googling this with no success. Is this a problem on stock motors or tuned ones? Is it only forced induction, or are N/A motors with mild bolt-ons and tunes affected?

Tuned N/A is the highest number of incidents reported. None I've heard of have been stock.

RedMustang

forum member
Reaction score
You sir are a good business man with action like this and get mega kudos from me. Rather than sit on the sidelines and play the "it's the pistons!" game, you took preemptive measures to prevent possible mechanical failure. Not to say that there IS a problem with tunes, but the 'just in case' provides consumers like myself a better perceived value and quality. Smart move and thanks!

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
George did the give you any info on the new tune? Other than bringing Knock back to oem.

No, Rick just explained it was needed to ensure the tune was "safe". They wanted to be ahead of the curve with all the concern about #8.

I didn't really ask about it, I just asked him to bump up the 2-3 shift for me. It had softened up since the converter install.

I've been running the same tune since last October, I drove the car all winter.

I haven't been gentle with it...

;)

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
Hmm a guy I know just blew his motor due to this. He was running a Bama tune though. They told him he was on his own though. Great job Livernois for actually doing something to prevent this from happening!

Reaction score
Hmm a guy I know just blew his motor due to this. He was running a Bama tune though. They told him he was on his own though. Great job Livernois for actually doing something to prevent this from happening!

Damn, atleast he has free tunes for life. >.>;

I mean, it should work on the new engine, riiiiiiight?

AMChrisRose

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score

Don't want to interject on a thread that isn't ours but this isn't true. We always stand behind our products and go above and beyond when it comes to customer service and making things right. Do some searching around and you'll find many times where we've done the right thing even when not at fault. The person that you're talking about had his covered under warranty and we investigated in the tune (which thousands of others are running without failures) to determine if anything we could have done would have caused this. We don't leave our customers in the dark or hide things, and we don't leave them high and dry, either.

With that being said, we have been using the stock knock sensor retard sensitivity/parameters for quite some time, depending on what tune (Street, Performance or Race) as well as when it was ordered. As we progress and our tunes progress, we update our files if we find something worth changing for good reasons or for bad (which is rare). There was only ONE version of our files that had aggressive knock retard parameters, which was between the dates of February 23rd and March 8th. As of March 8th, we went back to OE knock sensor parameters and started the process of updating files and emailing people who purchased in those dates as of last week. The dates BEFORE Feb 23rd also have stock knock retard parameters.

At the end of the day, we're here to be diligent and make sure that our customers know the tunes they run ARE safe and constantly monitored/developed. What we did was not reactive, but proactive as well. We started the process of changing/updating the files well before this isolated incident. Those who received files during that 2 week period either have heard from us or will shortly (I know they're still working through them). All of our files are researched here in-house on our Dynojet 224xLC, the streets of Malvern, PA, and various tracks around us including Cecil, Maple Grove, Atco, E-Town, etc. Quality assurance, consistency, accuracy and safety are Bama's biggest goals before sales.

If you have ANY questions, feel free to give the Bama team a shout. If you purchased during that 2 week period, we will be in touch if we already haven't. IF YOU DIDN'T PURCHASE IN THAT DATE RANGE, YOU ARE NOT AFFECTED! Not to say that the tune is even the culprit, but just in-case, we don't want to be Ford's scapegoat.

Hope this clears everything up. I've been watching these incidents over different message boards we're active on, and it seems like there's been about 4 or 5 cases (correct me if you've seen more). Only 1 I've seen with a Bama tune and only 2 or 3 had tunes at all. For what it's worth... either way, we've been taking this precaution until more light is shed on it.

Circle-D

Reaction score
Nice work Rick, trying to stay ahead of the curve. Impressive.

Chris

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back