Attention Livernois Tune Customers

assasinator

1000hp turbo 4v
Reaction score
when i first loaded the original 93 octane tune in my car, i heard piston ratling at WOT. it was detonating from bad fuel. bad fuel. i listened to the car and pulled osme timing. rattling went away. got some good gas and re-added the timing.

a tuner gave the same advice. if you feel scared. use your hand tuner and pull some timing up top. it aint rocket science.

-bill

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
You guys are making it out like there are widespread problems. 99.99% of these cars have no issues.

This.^

I went to the track yesterday and in +1200' of air, I pulled the OEM driver's side wheel off the ground and cut a 1.59-1.61-1.62 60' time.

My 2-3 shift point was way too aggressive, so I could not make a clean pass, but the 330' time was 6 hundreths better than what I was running in -1600'!

If my choice was a 2010 4.6 or taking my chances with the 2011 5.0, I'll take my chances every time.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Confidence can be confused with arrogance at times, but if that makes us asshats to some because of the impersonal nature of the forums, that's not our intent. However, when we state something, or call bs on something, we are doing so from experience and can back it up.

Then you should let your product/work speak for you and quit dogging the competition as in our tunes are better than everyone elses. It just gets old after reading it so many times. Like I said I'm sure you guys do a great job but there are many others that do equally as well.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Can't we all just hug without detonating? :roflmao:
get it, detonation because of the.. nvm FU

tbi0904

forum member
Reaction score
I hear you on that. I traded my '06 GT in 2 weeks ago, and now I'm thinking I screwed up. I find out the next week (after getting my tuner) about the engines blowing and the manual trans falling apart. Great just great!

Dude, relax. You're reading way too much into the interwebz. I know it makes it seem like every 5.0 has either blown up or shit a trans but I'll bet it's not nearly the pandemic it's being made out to be. I'm reading way too much "omg, this is SCARY!!!" stuff on the forums. Mechanical stuff (engines, trannys, computers) breaks from time to time. Hell, my parents went through three refrigerators (same model) before they got one that worked right, and that's just a refrigerator. Never mind something as complex as an engine. If you're really worried just drive it stock for a while, push it to it's limits, and see how it goes. I'd be pretty confident your motor won't go boom.

Or...you can swap rides with me. :thumb:

Steve@T

Torq Sales
Reaction score
Then you should let your product/work speak for you and quit dogging the competition as in our tunes are better than everyone elses. It just gets old after reading it so many times. Like I said I'm sure you guys do a great job but there are many others that do equally as well.

You're entitled to your opinion but this really has nothing to do with the current thread, as we have only stated that there was misinformation and created our own thread with our own opinions to the issues brought forth here.

Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I talked to Dan earlier today and there was more done to the tune updates we sent other than simply making one change. We feel our tunes were safe before, as Dan will never tune anything on the edge, but we just wanted to be extra safe. Whether the customer wants to load the updated file is up to them.

-Rick

Meister

forum member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be random cylinders and not just #8 if it was a pure timing issue?
Not necessarily. It all depends on the tune. Knock Sensors are not the final solution to everything and it all depends on how they are being used. The logic allows for timing to be pulled only from the cylinder that is knocking or all 8 cylinders.

Also, if you have one cylinder that is hotter than the others it is more prone to damage than the others. There are still questions to be answered when this happens and I mentioned it in my other post.

We are dealing with machines, operated by humans that rely on a product to make them run, manufactured by humans. Anytime a human is involved, there can be error.

Why did the component fail is a question that has to be answered. Signs of additional heat in that cylinder? Is that injector flowing properly? Did the customer use options in their tuner? Was the gas really 93 (if tuned for 93)?

AMChrisRose

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Knock sensors can pull individually. Fueling can be controlled individually. In talking to others in the industry and then digging through various Ford revisions, you can actually see where Ford does modify fueling in cylinders 7 and 8.

KonaGT

forum member
Reaction score
So there is a potential known reason. Ford wouldn't modify fueling in that area unless they felt there was a reason to, or am I wrong?

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
So, it's a full sequential system.. Nice.. Are tuners taking this OEM adjustment for #7 and #8 into account when writing these tunes?

Also, does this new engine suffer from the same stagnation issues in the driver's side head?

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
So, it's a full sequential system.. Nice.. Are tuners taking this OEM adjustment for #7 and #8 into account when writing these tunes?

Also, does this new engine suffer from the same stagnation issues in the driver's side head?

I'm betting they haven't taken this into consideration in the past but they will be looking at it in future updates. If this is the case I hope all the tuners out there who have written tunes for our cars will give us updated tunes with these revisions. :thumb:

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
Knock sensors can pull individually. Fueling can be controlled individually. In talking to others in the industry and then digging through various Ford revisions, you can actually see where Ford does modify fueling in cylinders 7 and 8.

If you look at the BK tables there is also adders for individual cylinder spark as well, from what I see the first four cylinders in the firing order have +1 on the upper RPMs, #8 is the 4th in the firing order.. Not sure how much those tables come into play, I'm still trying to figure out how all the timing tables interact. Coming from GM ECUs and standalones I've never seen so many timing tables..

AMChrisRose

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score
If you look at the BK tables there is also adders for individual cylinder spark as well, from what I see the first four cylinders in the firing order have +1 on the upper RPMs, #8 is the 4th in the firing order.. Not sure how much those tables come into play, I'm still trying to figure out how all the timing tables interact. Coming from GM ECUs and standalones I've never seen so many timing tables..

I don't want to give too much away publicly (you can always call me and I'll share with you), but there are a ton of different ways of doing the same thing. Keeping timing conservative can be done a BUNCH of different ways, and there's not one way that is necessarily right or wrong. It's what works and what consistently works.

Last edited:

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
I don't want to give too much away publicly (you can always call me and I'll share with you), but there are a ton of different ways of doing the same thing. Keeping timing conservative can be done a BUNCH of different ways, and there's not one way that is necessarily right or wrong. It's what works and what consistently works.

I have it pretty much figured out, been experimenting for a month or so, learning a new ECU is part of the fun for me. If someone told me how to do it I would feel like I'm cheating :)

I was just mentioning the individual cylinder BK timing tables that are there.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back