Axle overflow catch can system -- necessary on 2013+ GTs?

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
As I have a 2014 GT that I want to track, it's of great interest to me (and to others, I'm sure!) to prevent oil of any kind from finding its way onto the track. Inasmuch as it seems that earlier cars had problems with diff oil spilling out of the rear axle at track temperatures, I'd like to make sure mine doesn't do the same thing.

Hence my question: since apparently Ford has released at least one TSB on this (in particular, View attachment tsb12-02-01.pdf), and one could reasonably expect that the issue is fixed in 2013 and above (the aforementioned TSB applies to 2012 and earlier vehicles), is it nonetheless necessary to install an overflow reservoir on the 2013 and above vehicles? More precisely, has anyone with a 2013 or 2014 Mustang had issues with diff fluid overflow at temperature?

For those who don't know what sort of overflow I'm referring to, the solution to this particular problem is generally a catch can of some kind, attached via a hose to the axle overflow fitting into which the excess oil will go when it otherwise would go all over the rear of the car. A good example of this is the Bob's Auto Sports unit, but there are a number of similar units out there and many have fabricated something themselves.

So: needed, or not? If it's been proven to be necessary to at least some who have a 2013 or 2014 Mustang, then I'll put one on prior to tracking the car.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
That TSB does jack shit, or less. Set yourself up with a real solution.

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
That TSB does jack shit, or less. Set yourself up with a real solution.

I thought perhaps that the existence of the TSB meant that Ford knew about the problem and may have engineered a proper solution to it for 2013 and up models.

I don't recall people talking about pre-S197 models having this issue, which I find a bit odd since it's basically the same axle and differential, isn't it?

Anyway, the overflow setup is cheap enough insurance that I'll almost certainly just get it and be done with it, but I thought I'd see if there was any evidence that the root cause has been fixed.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The Bob's auto sports axle catch can is for 2005- present cars....which now includes the 2014. Good solution..and end of problem. Folks have been noticing fluid loss when drag racing..and also on the track...and also with elevation changes on a track.

I just ordered one myself a few days ago. Depending on fluid loss, you could do a lot of damage to both the differential and both axles... = $$$.
Any version of a catch can is cheap insurance.

Jimbo

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
I don't recall people talking about pre-S197 models having this issue, which I find a bit odd since it's basically the same axle and differential, isn't it.

Pretty much all rear ends have this problem to some extent. The 9" in my roadster would spit after a 40 second autocross. I put a catch can on that, up high, and have never had a drop of lube in it......or on the ground.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
I've had seepage in my 13 for a while now. The dealer performed the TSB when I took it in for axle and pinion seals. Been thinking about a res, but I just mention it when I bring it in for regular service and they assure me it is fine. I have it in writing, so if something ever does go wrong, I have it clear that I thought it was an issue and was advised that it would not be.

jayman33

Official Vendor
Reaction score
The Bob's auto sports axle catch can is for 2005- present cars....which now includes the 2014. Good solution..and end of problem. Folks have been noticing fluid loss when drag racing..and also on the track...and also with elevation changes on a track.

I just ordered one myself a few days ago. Depending on fluid loss, you could do a lot of damage to both the differential and both axles... = $$$.
Any version of a catch can is cheap insurance.

Jimbo

I installed one of Bob's catch cans in our boss.... it snapped in half. I just threw a bunch of shit together and made a decent breather/ catch can kits. I ran both a Mishimoto and allstar catch can in the trunk.

Mountain

forum member
Reaction score
The Boss/GT500 rear axle aluminum cooling cover with re-located vent to the top of the cover has seemed to hold up my entire autocross/track day season so far...

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
I guess I should make it clear that I have a 2014 GT with the track package, and I believe that means it has the Boss cooling cover on the differential.

Those might not need the overflow reservoir, but I'll get one anyway just for the peace of mind if nothing else.

I installed one of Bob's catch cans in our boss.... it snapped in half.

My understanding is that some of them had very poor welds, but snapping in half? How??? There should be minimal force on it.

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
The vent will clog up eventually and blow out your pinion seal as well. I replaced mine twice before installing this. 10 Tracks days on it this season. This is right after the install was done. Just got back from Watkins Glen this past weekend. Works great, not one complaint and still dry under there.

Attachments

• BobsAutoSportCatchCan.jpg
    BobsAutoSportCatchCan.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 102

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
We built a tank for our 2011 GT because it was spewing a massive amount of oil on the back of the car and the tires while on the track. This was caused by two things. One, the breather system was inadequate for a clutch diff. Two, we had a clutch style differential.

Since switching to a Torsen style diff we have solved almost all of our heat related issues with the rear axle. Things like blowing oil, burned seals, premature bearing wear, and burned oil either do not happen, or happen on a much longer schedule.

We still have the breather system though. Just in case it gets hot again for some reason.

You can read about building the rear axle breather in our build thread. It was before we started posting on S197, so you'll have to read it on our forum starting here:
http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?p=57267#post57267

DSC1614-S.jpg

DSC1603-S.jpg

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Steeda makes an axle catch can. They make both a left side and also a right side vent. They both mount in the trunk, one on each side. Baffles me why two are used....since there is only one axle vent.... on the pass side?? Any trunk mount catch can would have to have enough tubing to not only pass through grommets on the trunk floor, but also allow for suspension travel....esp on a lift. Scroll down a bit and you will see both the left + right..+ installed pix of each one. http://www.steeda.com/store/ford-mustang-gears.html

Putting the entire catch can assy down below, like the bob's motor sports unit makes more sense.

If friction modifier is used, like on a traction-lok, the trunk would reek from the smell ! I tossed the oem ford traction lok....and had the eaton tru-trac + WL watts link installed on the same day. Handling improvement with those two mods was like night + day.

For folks that don't have a differential cover with drain + fill plugs, what is the procedure to fill the differential? Are you supposed to fill via the axle vent on pass side ? If the vent was used, the level might be higher than the fill plug on my WL watts link differential cover, but I may well be wrong.

Jimbo

Last edited:

JimC

Reaction score
Steeda makes an axle catch can. They make both a left side and also a right side vent. They both mount in the trunk, one on each side. Baffles me why two are used....since there is only one axle vent.... on the pass side?? Any trunk mount catch can would have to have enough tubing to not only pass through grommets on the trunk floor, but also allow for suspension travel....esp on a lift. Scroll down a bit and you will see both the left + right..+ installed pix of each one. http://www.steeda.com/store/ford-mustang-gears.html

Jimbo

I believe that they offer a right and left because the 2005-10 axle vents are on the passenger side, and the 2011+ are on the driver side.

For folks that don't have a differential cover with drain + fill plugs, what is the procedure to fill the differential? Are you supposed to fill via the axle vent on pass side ? If the vent was used, the level might be higher than the fill plug on my WL watts link differential cover, but I may well be wrong. Jimbo

You don't use the vent to fill. There is a fill plug on the back of the differential.

ddd4114

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know why everybody complains about the smell. I've never had a problem with venting mine in the trunk, but maybe I just have a terrible sense of smell.

After developing a leaking axle seal, I installed this in my trunk: http://www.jegs.com/i/Allstar-Performance/049/ALL36108/10002/-1

I guess between the large volume, baffling, and oiled filter, the fumes stay contained. Even after beating the piss out of the car on a road course for 20-25 min, I've never had a problem with smell.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Ours is not vented into the trunk. We run the vent line and catch can up into the trunk, but the actual vent is down at the bottom of the fuel tank. No fumes are in the trunk.

DTL

forum member
Reaction score
I did mine the same way as the Vorshlag guys, only I went overkill on it and hardlined everything.

back n a stang

Sick wid it!!
Reaction score
What's the best way to see if the fluid level is correct?? (Note: It's the Stock diff cover on 2012 GT)

While under my car the last couple days fixing a unrelated issue I noticed oil a good bit around my axle tube coming out of the vent located on drivers side. It's been in my A/C garage for 3 days and today you can't even tell where it was wet. Makes me wonder just how much it has been happening and didn't know it. If so I'm concerned my fluid level may be low. I for sure need to go with one of these "Bob's auto" has.

I don't even feel like I been beating on car really and this much oil? Damn!

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
What's the best way to see if the fluid level is correct?? (Note: It's the Stock diff cover on 2012 GT)

Pull the fill plug out, stick your finger in there. Full should be just below the fill hole. Honestly you can probably fill it until fluid starts coming out of the hole and you would be good.

DUFUS

forum member
Reaction score
Pull the fill plug out, stick your finger in there. Full should be just below the fill hole. Honestly you can probably fill it until fluid starts coming out of the hole and you would be good.

Keep in mind that overfilling can be a messy proposition. For both the differential and the man trans. And I mean not just during the process of filling and maybe spilling a little, but after the fact, in operation, especially when you're tracking the car (hi temps). Ask me how I know. I've had knuckleheads overfill both when changing the fluid(s). Serves me right for not doing it myself I guess.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back