Bad Clutch?

BL00DSH0T

forum member
Reaction score
I have had many manual cars but never keep one long enough to experience a bad clutch.

I have noticed some slippage in the high rpms in boost recently, but with it being cold here I don't get on it hard anymore. Regular drivability was just like stock. But now I get a shudder every now and then when taking off from a stop. Is this a sign of a bad clutch. There are no weird sounds or smells.

I'm putting the car back to stock also so what do u recommend a good stock like replacement clutch/flywheel if it needs to be replaced?

Thanks

Herb

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
If it's slipping/shuddering with the pedal fully disengaged it's likely a bad clutch, fly or both.

If you are getting rid of the car or just want a stock swap, RAM is my go to for entry level clutches. Their bottom of the line clutch is better than OE and has a stock pedal feel. I believe their kit also includes a new pilot bearing and Slave, which is convenient.

As for the flywheel, I'd take it to a local shop and have it resurfaced if possible. That's the cheaper route. Otherwise you may get lucky in the "WTB" section of this forum, I'm sure someone has a stock fly they are willing to part with for a decent price, but the fly is heavy so most of your cost will be in shipping, and said flywheel may also need to be resurfaced on top of it all.

BL00DSH0T

forum member
Reaction score
It is studdering during disengagement of the clutch on take off. It is not everytime though.
I have only noticed it slip with the pedal fully disengaged when i really get on it.

I will be getting rid of the car next year, thats why I want to get the clutch close to stock. I'll look into the Ram clutches.

Thanks for the advice.

Herb

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My stock clutch started slipping as soon as I installed my supercharger. It only had 30k miles and had probably another 50k left on the surface, but it was just too much power.

tl/dr it's your clutch.

P-51 Performance

forum member
Reaction score
agree, to much power for the stock clutch.i had a spec stage 1 that was rated at like 430 or something? with in a year of 500hp it was paper thin. if you returning the car to stock just go with something cheap that can handle 500. spec stage 2 or something. as far as the flywheel take it off and take it to a machine shop where they resurface it, 50$ for a resurface and your good to go.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back