BamaChips 01 3Valve Cobra Build

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
MrClean, I am about 45 minutes to an hour North of Matt, Caleb and Doug @ Bamachips....I am about 2 hours more or less from Birmingham.....Not that bad of a drive for me....We usually make the trip to B'ham every other weekend....

Matt, I think this is a great idea...I will have to call you guys and ride down....I need to talk some tuning with y'all anyways....

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ahhh... good luck not blowing it up.... before you blow it up.....

ZeroSVT

Whos watching?
Reaction score

Lol, i'm not going to blow it up at 320, now if i was at 550 then i would be worried.

Even though these engines still carry the powdered metal rods, they can still hold a good amount of power safely, however detonation at any power level is bad, and that is what kills these engines.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Lol, i'm not going to blow it up at 320, now if i was at 550 then i would be worried.

Even though these engines still carry the powdered metal rods, they can still hold a good amount of power safely, however detonation at any power level is bad, and that is what kills these engines.

well my comments were based on this post of yours:

The cams are worth 35-40 when done right, plus this will be dyno tuned so i will push it beyond safe limits with the tune since its my car.

ZeroSVT

Whos watching?
Reaction score
I'm not going to push it to the point where im going to ruin the engine, however i will push it to see what the limits are... defiantly going turbo and going to see how long it will last with 500 rwhp.

This is merely a test vehicle. I wouldn't dare do this to the Roush lol.

JOK3R

forum member
Reaction score
Remember all the whoopla over the '01 cars being turds and nobody being able to dyno better than 280-290 hp......they were just dogs. That's why Colletti told his guys to come up with a solution. The solution was a blower.

+1

Good friend of mine did the same thing. Ripped his N/A 4v out and dropped in a slightly modded 3v. Runs low 11's and couldn't be happier. (his car is basically a tin can with a full drag setup).

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Subscribing. i wanna see you guys put an assload of nitrous on a 3V. What are you going to use, NX or Harris plate kit? Are you keeping stock internals for the spray or turbo?

ZeroSVT

Whos watching?
Reaction score
Changed out the valve springs last night. Started using the 200 dollar 3v Spring tool that is only designed to remove the rocker arms, JUNK.

Tried using the 2V tool ($40) and was able to change all 48 springs in about an hour and half.

Engine goes in tonight after I install the BBR Cams.

ZeroSVT

Whos watching?
Reaction score
Subscribing. i wanna see you guys put an assload of nitrous on a 3V. What are you going to use, NX or Harris plate kit? Are you keeping stock internals for the spray or turbo?

Were using a Direct port injection NX kit, with a progressive controller. Installed on a C&L prototype intake manifold.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cool build guys. Your giving me ideas about my old engine and transmission and a 96 v6 I saw in craigs list for 500.

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
Changed out the valve springs last night. Started using the 200 dollar 3v Spring tool that is only designed to remove the rocker arms, JUNK.

Tried using the 2V tool ($40) and was able to change all 48 springs in about an hour and half.

Engine goes in tonight after I install the BBR Cams.

Can't wait for the videos

srt2stang725

Reaction score
ooo awesome build....im curious to see how the 3v is going to sound through the true mid muffler setup of the Mustangs of old.....maybe this will end the debate whether or not its the location of the mufflers or just the fact that the motor is a 3v...

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Not meaning to change the subject or take anything away from your build guys but I just spotted an interesting write up in the new MM/FF. Blown 3V in a Mercury Zephyr (think Fairmont Futura). Really slick setup. Article said the car went low 10's with a stock 3V and nitrous so they're aiming for mid nines with the 322" 3V and the blower.

Bastards beat me to it. I'm betting my twin turbo Futura ends up quicker/faster. :evil:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
how will you guys be solving the cluster issues, ect. From what i understand nothing works with the 3v computer.

I wanted to swap a 3v into my 02 but it seemed like such a headache

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
how will you guys be solving the cluster issues, ect. From what i understand nothing works with the 3v computer.

I wanted to swap a 3v into my 02 but it seemed like such a headache

I'd like to know about this too as I have a spare 3v that a couple of my buddies and I have been thinking about putting in a old 96, or even a 66.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back