Battery dead, key won't unlock door.

BigSkyGT

Not your daddy.
Reaction score
So now what? I can't unlock the car because the battery is dead. For some reason my key won't manually unlock my door. How the heck am I going to get power to the car to use my power locks?

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
You should be able to manually unlock with the key, regardless of having a dead battery.. If the lock isn't frozen and able to turn, but still not open ?

Your tumbler assembly might be the problem.. Just a guess on my part :shrug:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
can you climb in passenger side to pop the hood and open driver door? then you can get new battery, and get it open to tear apart to figure out whats wrong

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
You should be able to manually unlock with the key, regardless of having a dead battery.. If the lock isn't frozen and able to turn, but still not open ?

Your tumbler assembly might be the problem.. Just a guess on my part :shrug:

This is correct. The key lock is manual and does not rely on battery power. I think clockwise is lock and counterclockwise is unlock. The connecting rod to the lock could also be broke or disconnected somehow.

So how to get in? It might be possible to reach up to the hood release cable and pull it enough to get it to release. If you can't reach, try using a coat hanger or something to get a hold of the cable and give it a tug.

Last edited:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
This is correct. The key lock is manual and does not rely on battery power. I think clockwise is lock and counterclockwise is unlock. The connecting rod to the lock could also be broke or disconnected somehow.

So how to get in? It might be possible to reach up to the hood release cable and pull it enough to get it to release. If you can't reach, try using a coat hanger or something to get a hold of the cable and give it a tug.

Correct ! As I meant to say connecting rod lol.

BigSkyGT

Not your daddy.
Reaction score
I called a dealership and they were stumped. The only suggestion was a tow truck driver with a Slim Jim. I will try the hood latch angle. Thanks for the suggestions people.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
was just about to ask about the trunk but your convertible

does the key not work on either door?

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
OK, looks like you can open it using bottom of the hood latch if you can get to it as I've shown here. It's easy for me I have no grill on right now. Push in the direction of the drivers door on that piece my finger is pointed to. While it is pushed over lift the hood.

IMG_20160118_160022806_zpsns92o6fj.jpg

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
can you climb in passenger side to pop the hood and open driver door? then you can get new battery, and get it open to tear apart to figure out whats wrong

How can he climb into the passenger side, if he can't unlock his driver's side with the key ? Only way he can get into his passenger side, is if it's unlocked..

BigSkyGT

Not your daddy.
Reaction score
No lock for trunk. Automatic lock only. I can reach the latch with my hand. Thanks nawagner for the photos. Helps to know what I am looking for.

BigSkyGT

Not your daddy.
Reaction score
Success!!!!!!!!!!! Hood popped open. Thank you for your help! Now I can charged the battery and open the door. Looks like I will have to figure out what's wrong with the lock.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
do our cars honestly not have passenger lock tumbler? i cant remember since I havent driven it in a while and dont use that handle much anyway. lol

if not ignore me

hope you get in and figure out wtf is goin on

Wes ! only the driver's side can be unlocked with a key.. There is no door key slot on the passenger side..

both my posts were before yours, lol

sorry i dont pay attention to door locks on passenger door or not

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the passenger side does not have a passenger lock tumbler and can only be unlocked automatically.. Just another fine example of Ford's brilliant idea's lol.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back