Battery options/debate

theRedStorm

forum member
Reaction score
Got a 2005 mustang gt
And recently, one of my battery's cell died and my battery read 10.6v after putting it under load. advanced Auto parts gold battery.
Ended up lasting me 4 years (3 year warranty).
Seems like batteries really do last 3 to 5 years now.

I'm looking at getting an interstate one from Costco based solely on price and warranty.
For 90 bucks + 3 year warranty, how can you go wrong when autoparts seem to charge more for the battery + same warranty? Let me know your thoughts

Screenshot_20220825-161616_Brave.jpg

theRedStorm

forum member
Reaction score
Also
Should I be looking for a 40r or a 96r battery? Couldn't figure much of a difference there

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I've been using interstate blem units for 6+ years now in all my vehicles, never had a problem with them at all. Great interstate battery at a super price.

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
Where do you find the blems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Where do you find the blems?

from interstate. Just call them up and ask if they have a blem battery for your year/make/model car. It comes with a short warranty, 90 days I think, but I've never had an issue with them in the past.

GriffX

Reaction score
my 1st OEM lasted incredibly 12 years long (but I filled it up regularly with water). I have a Mixtech now, works fine.

DieHarder

Reaction score
When I replaced all of my batteries recently (weird, all of them failed within a month of each other) went to a place that specializes in nothing but batteries. Said Interstate was the best you can get and most other brands are actually rebranded. Most of mine lasted about 6 - 7 years on average.

Last edited:

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
Is this a daily driver? If not, get a battery tender. I get 7-10 years out of virtually any battery that is on a limited use car/truck/boat. I'm religious on the battery tenders, that's why.

On a DD, I agree, Walmart. Might as well get the best price for the same 3 year warrantee, and I haven't had more expensive batteries last any longer than Walmart's.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Going to check Wallyworld tonight for my bike.
Why does shit break when you are teying to sell it?
99 GSXR, black&red, one owner, garage kept, 12500 miles. Just put in new plugs, and its getting a new battery....if anyone is interested

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
I bought a Motorcraft from the local Ford dealer. It was about the same price as the AutoZone, and it's lasted well.

I did the same thing when my original battery went. I had a discount coupon for any Motorcraft battery that made it about the same price as the Interstate one from Costco.

Reaction score
I did the same thing when my original battery went. I had a discount coupon for any Motorcraft battery that made it about the same price as the Interstate one from Costco.

They are the same batteries..

Who Makes Motorcraft Batteries?
Motorcraft batteries are made by Johnson Controls. They make these batteries for Ford. Johnson Controls is one of the four largest domestic battery manufacturers, including Delco, GNB, and Exide.

Johnson Control makes Interstate, Diehards, Energizer, and of course, Motorboat batteries. The Motorcraft batteries allow authorized equipment replacement only for all Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln vehicles.

Ford and Lincoln, for the most part, only use batteries from Motorcraft in their vehicles.

https://caffemotor.com/who-makes-motorcraft-batteries/#Who_Makes_Motorcraft_Batteries

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if Johnson tweaks the batteries for Ford in any way from the Interstate version? As I recall they look a little different physically, not counting the label of course.

Last edited:

Laga

Reaction score
Advance Auto parts has a AGM 96R Diehard Platinum. It’s pricey, but carefree.

Spence340

Reaction score
Consumer Reports has been rating Costco auto batteries as one of the best for years. 96 is the size for the Mustang I believe.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
There's a 40R in the wife's '08 GT500.
I think both the 40R and the 96R work

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back