Battery relocation idea

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The GT500 doesn't have a spare tire...just the pumps and fluid to repair a punctured tire, which leaves a BUNCH of space in the spare wheel well for a battery. I'm thinking an Optima with the side posts would work well. I also think a biller aluminum frame/battery holder that would attach to the center post would be perfect. I wonder if it's already been done?

This would not only remove ~50 lbs from the front of the car, it would also place that weight (or if I'm lucky finding the right batter a little less weight) in the rear of the vehicle, altering the weight balance towards the rear.

SeanD

forum member
Reaction score
With no spare in there and just that inflation kit, what is supporting the cardboard floor base? I looked at taking out my spare the other day, as I cannot use it anymore, but the trunk floor was not being supported anymore. Does that inflation kit do the trick, or do they do something else for the GT500's?

AJ

US Muscle, AUS Hustle....
Reaction score
Have you thought off adding a light weight race battery?

Your relocation idea is sound, just make sure you have a way to secure it.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
With no spare in there and just that inflation kit, what is supporting the cardboard floor base? I looked at taking out my spare the other day, as I cannot use it anymore, but the trunk floor was not being supported anymore. Does that inflation kit do the trick, or do they do something else for the GT500's?

I took my spare tire out long ago. Haven't ever experience any problems with the floor base, and I have been piling heavy crap into the trunk from time to time.

To OP, good idea. I might have to try that.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
The GT500 doesn't have a spare tire...just the pumps and fluid to repair a punctured tire, which leaves a BUNCH of space in the spare wheel well for a battery. I'm thinking an Optima with the side posts would work well. I also think a biller aluminum frame/battery holder that would attach to the center post would be perfect. I wonder if it's already been done?

This would not only remove ~50 lbs from the front of the car, it would also place that weight (or if I'm lucky finding the right batter a little less weight) in the rear of the vehicle, altering the weight balance towards the rear.
Just make sure you add an external shut off if you plan on passing tech at the track.

07stangcs

Undecided
Reaction score
Marc, leave it alone and just pulley it already! :highfive:

For real Marc. Cai,pulley, longtubes and dynotune. All bolt on and no voiding of warranty(bolt ons come off just as easy as they went on). Just get it over with, cause u know your wife can only hold u back for so long. Lol

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

The spare tire well floor isn't cardboard, its sheetmetal.

Have you thought off adding a light weight race battery?

Your relocation idea is sound, just make sure you have a way to secure it.
I was thinking of bolting the baterry holder to the floor of the spare tie well, such that it would be securely held in place. The baterry holder would have to be the kind that has a screw-in wedge...don't know what it's called.

Just make sure you add an external shut off if you plan on passing tech at the track.

Roger!
Yea I saw those, but they are designed for in-trunk location...don't know if it will fit in the space available inthe spare tire well.

Marc, leave it alone and just pulley it already! :highfive:

Richard at Strictly said these cars run so rich from the factory, that he could put the pulley on there without a tune and it would still run rich....I'm having a cash crunch cause my mother broke her hip and w/o medical insurance it's costing us a fortune, so I'm saving up for the tuner/pulley/plugs. I wonder if I need the idler pulley too, or if the tensioner can take up the slack on its own? Richard says it can...I just don't want any surprises...

For real Marc. Cai,pulley, longtubes and dynotune. All bolt on and no voiding of warranty(bolt ons come off just as easy as they went on). Just get it over with, cause u know your wife can only hold u back for so long. Lol
:thumb2:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
he wasn't talking about the spare tire well being cardboard, he was speaking of the carpet cover that you remove to get to the tire inflater

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back