Bbk Tb issue

05GrayGT

Reaction score
Hi all,

Wondered if anyone knows a fix for this, can't be the only one with this problem. Installed a bbk throttle body and had a bama tune. Did my best to match up the voltage stock was 1.22 and noticed that the car idles kinda high now. At or slightly above 1000 RPMs. The throttle revs up fine but delays in returning to idle sticking around 2000 rpm or 1500 before returning to idle. After taking for a drive there was no wrench or check engine lights so that makes me think the voltage was correct. Certainly isn't better than stock like this. I called bama who did my tune and they told me try lowering the voltage, all that did was make the check engine light come on. I have since gone back to stock and everything is back to normal but would like to make the bbk tb work if possible. The only thing I didn't do during the install was unplug the battery, would that make a difference in Idle and throttle response? Other than that I'm out of ideas... Maybe it just doesn't like my car, it's a bad tune, or the tb is defective. My setup would be a c&l racer cai, bbk tb, and bama tune. Thanks for your help.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
First of all the bbk isn't going to do anything for you. Now that that's out of the way stay with stock.

Search the forums for more info on the bbk tb. It has to be tuned for, it won't improve your throttle response because that is controlled by commanded torque in the tune, it will cause you problems.

Probably the best thing you could do is smash it with a rock or similar tool so that nobody else has to endure what you are going through.

05GrayGT

Reaction score
I have searched the forums. I am aware it won't provide much. It does look nice under the good though. Anyway probably should have followed my better judgement and kept it stock. Although some people say they don't have any probs with it. I got a good deal on one and thought I'd give it a try.

BirdMan65

Reaction score
A Lucky One??

I bought a BBK 62mm used from a friends son and before I installed it I had BAMA send me a tune. I have since then made a 4"/100 mm MAF housing using parts from the previous CAI w/smaller diameter where the MAF sensor went and got a new BAMA tune.

I like the car better and driveability is better Now!

But first I had to disassemble the BBK and straighten the shaft to make it not bind so now it flips as freely as the stock/original one with the module and tps removed. I also found when the tb control module is removed you can get to the set screw that holds the large adjuster screw from turning so that you can turn the adjuster screw which you can see on top. This has a spring and piston in it which I adjusted the closed throttle blade position just off from sticking shut which takes a small amount of pressure on the throttle blades. When you release the throttle blades the spring loaded piston/plunger pushes the blades open a little. I have tried different springs in this adj. screw as when I removed the small snap ring onthe top end it Flew away. I just tapped it 5/16NF and use a set screw which i can adjust for pressure. I also tried limiting the blades at 90* wide open but the computer complained and hit me with the wrench light whenever I floored it. I had to reset and continue on my way so when I got home i removed the wide open stop and everything works okay.

Whenever the engine is warm and I reset the mileage I can get 28 mpg at 65/70 mph.

Love it, Love it!!! Dale C.

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
The BBK is a waste. I am having same problems.

Have not found a way for this thing to run correctly. It sucks. Wasted a few days trying to get it adjusted, and finally left it as it currently sits.

For anyone else researching this topic, stay away from this product.

2005Redfire6

forum member
Reaction score
A friend of mine was stranded a few years ago on the side of the road due to one of those BBK TBs getting stuck closed...

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Why get a BBK when you can get a FRPP billet throttle body thats just pure sex!!!

50253_alt1

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
^ Or OEM GT500. I don't see much use for either though unless you're FI or big bore.

This is very true. A pd blower will see an increase that is worth the price since the air is sucked in. A centri or turbo won't see as much of a gain because air is forced in. The stock tb flows a lot of air. More than just about any 4.6 is going to use n/a. IIRC it's 875cfm. For those who remember carbs an 875cfm carb would be reserved for a very large engine.

I have a 62mm frpp tb on my big bore. I don't know how much it's helping but the price was right and my motor is moving as much air as a low boost 4.6 so I think there is some gain involved with it.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back