BBK Throttle Body issue.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
I tried a BBK, I even took it 100% apart! cleaned and lubed it.....made it open like butter. Worked great for awhile, but eventually got tired of piss poor idle, got a stock gt500 TB and never looked back.....fuk BBK!

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
I don't understand what is wrong with the BBK?
Sounds like tuning issues.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
I'm honestly not a fan of most BBK products. However, I do have their BBK twin 62mm throttle body on my 2009 5.0L 3V setup from JDM. It is critical to get the voltage set properly according to their instructions. I'm not sure if it makes a difference if you use a 2009 TPS sensor or not, but my car is a 2009 so maybe I was just lucky. I've had no issues with this throttle body <knock on wood> it appears to be a quality part. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

BirdMan65

Reaction score
my TPS readings

Stock tps readings were as follows;
0.73 holding throttle blades closed against stop depressing center plunger.
1.36 normal position without depressing center plunger but against it.
4.50 holding throttle blades wide open horizontal, not over center as I had made a stop so that blades wouldn't do that but with driving it and going wide open the computer didn't like it and went in limp mode w/codes of stuck?? and another code which when cleared I could drive until I nailed it again so I took the stop off.

I don't have a note of the BBK readings but they were probably similar or the same! I did take the snap ring out of the end of the large adjustment screw in the motor end and promptly watched the plug go sailing in ??? so I tapped it 5/16"NF and used a set screw and jam nut to position the spring tension after adjusting the throttle blades to not jam shut. There is a small setscrew that you loosen to adjust the large one (this is under the motor mtg plate which has to be removed to adjust or mess with things). I have tried a lighter spring but it just make the warm engine surge at slight throttle opening for a few seconds, this is the only trouble I have had at all and the stock tb, Injun CAI (which says no tune needed) did and still does. The stronger stock spring has less surge and time frame than the lighter one.

At the end of the instruction sheet BBK said if you couldn't get the same readings to cut off the alignment tab so you could rotate it to get the desired reading.

I may have taken a small chain saw file to elongate the holes to do so if I needed to, as I don't remember what I did.

Dale C.

Last edited:

Freeman_S197

Reaction score
I think his problem was probably in the tps being faulty???

Well from what I heard the early TPS was junk. The one I got a O'Reillys was for a 09 stang and it looked a tad different but bolted up and plugged right in.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
I believe there is a "round" and a "square" shaped connector body, although I don't remember which is the newer design.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back