BDX vs X4 + Tune advice

Mackitraz

Reaction score
So I've been reading and searching threads about tuning. I have a few lingering questions.

1. Is there any disadvantage at this point for getting an SCT BDX over an X4 for my 4.6 3v?

2. Lito is the best option for tuning it appears. Haven't contacted, but will as soon as I get a programmer + intake. My engine is bone stock, so with just an intake it seems like a pretty easy job to tune, or am I mistaken?

3. Is there anything to avoid regarding where I get a tuner from? Like being stuck with only tunes from BAMA or something? I'm looking at package prices from AM, LMR, Brenspeed, etc. But frankly, my brain is pudding at this point and I just don't want to waste my money.

I guess this is the problem with doing a slew of upgrades at the same time (I'm doing suspension, tuning, GT-H front end conversion + stripes, interior work/upholstery, brakes, tint and a bunch of other little crap). I'm brain fried.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
1. Get which ever of those 2 is cheaper

2. Lito is excellent but with a simple combination like yours, any of the tuners mentioned can handle it-well, maybe not AM. If you get into cams or power adders, Lito is the right guy

3. Don't fall for gimmicks like " tunes for life" and as long as you get a new tuner that accepts custom tunes, you should be good to go.

Mackitraz

Reaction score
Thanks, I really appreciate the response. I was originally looking at a CAI+BDX+Tune from Brenspeed, but reading through forum threads it seems like everyone but Brent there kinda sucks to deal with in case I have a problem.

byblazed

Reaction score
I've had experience with both the BDX and the X4. My car is currently tuned by PBD on the X4. The BDX wouldn't work right for some reason and it wouldn't unmarry from my car... So now it's pretty much useless... The differences between the 2 are so small it seems like the best choice is to stick with the tried and true X4. the new HP tuners RTD looks very nice as well. Just my .02 figured I'd share.

Mackitraz

Reaction score
PBD? Thanks for your experiences, that helps. Wonder if it was a software issue?

Honestly, I'm just wondering about the two because the BDX seems smaller and easier to keep on my dash if I wanted to monitor things after the tune is installed. Otherwise I just want what works.

byblazed

Reaction score
Palm Beach Dyno. My car is a coyote and they are one of the top coyote tuners. They said they had seen it before with the BDX. Holding them side by side the size difference is minimal. The BDX is just shaped more like a box. I don't think it was a software issue since in the end they used the X4 with the same SCT software for my 2 tunes. For some reason the BDX wouldn't "Finalize" the tune. It said it sent it and after it rebooted the ECM no changes had taken effect. Then when returning to stock it said it did it but the BDX still said it was married to my car. The only reason I had the X4 is that is came with my Vortech supercharger kit. The BDX I've had since about 2017 with a Steeda tune on it. Not sure what the issue was, but I am glad I had the X4 or I would have been buying a third tuner... In the end it's your choice, but having experienced people working on it in person telling me that they've had issues with the BDX before made it trash in my book. Not sure what I am going to do with it now. I was hoping to recoup some $ from selling one of them but I don't think I could sell the BDX in good conscious now... Even if someone was to send it off and get it unmarried I'd be worried it'd brick someone's car like it almost did to mine. Maybe I'm being too sensitive about it but I was really worried my car was bricked for a little bit and I don't wish that feeling on anybody.

byblazed

Reaction score
When I get home I can snap a picture of them side by side with something as a reference if that will help you out. If size is your main concern, then that should help you make your decision. I thought I was going to hook it up while just driving around but never did lol. I added gauges myself for the things I wanted to monitor. As far as I know the X4 has all the same capabilities except for the cloud tuning feature. Let me know if you'd like a pic of the 2 together.

byblazed

Reaction score
Here's a size comparison for you. Almost identical, just shaped a bit different. 2 pack of AA batteries next to them for a size reference. Screens are same size as well.

20210819_204450.jpg

Mackitraz

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't respond, wife and I went out to dinner. Wow! Just goes to prove that pictures can make things look out of perspective. To me in many of the pics I've seen the x4 looked bigger, but I see what you mean side by side. I'm not that fussed about the cloud/wifi aspect, it's not like I'm going to download a new tune very often. Like I said, at the end of the day, I want what works so I appreciate the advice.

byblazed

Reaction score
Not a problem! Glad I could help. Funny how this thread just popped up in my email and I just happen to have both units you were asking about in my possession. The BDX seemed fine at first, but I only used it to tune my car once and it went back in the box. Not sure if sitting too long can cause issues or not but it had been a couple years since it had seen power. I'm planning on hooking up the X4 to the car a few times a year just in case now. It has me a little worried now to be honest, but worst case is I get a reflash from the Ford mothership and start with a new device. Have a great weekend bud!

Mackitraz

Reaction score
The Ford Mothership... LOL love it.

So I guess I'm looking at a JLT Series 3 with X4 and tune from Brenspeed for $750, and then other tuners if I change things on my car. Unless there's a better place to buy them with a canned tune already loaded?

byblazed

Reaction score
I've never dealt with Brenspeed personally, but I have heard nothing but good things. I'm also not up to date on the 3V scene at the moment. I don't think you could go wrong with Brenspeed. Definitely don't fall for the "tunes for life" gimmick... Not sure if Brenspeed offers it, but if it's a one time tune, its all the same really. The BDX I got through Steeda had "tunes for life"... as soon as I started doing anything other than the CAI it was all of a sudden out of the realm of the email tuning capability... Yet other tuners would do it no problem. AKA gimmick... Not knocking Steeda, they are a great company, and I have quite a bit of their gear on my car, but to expect tunes for life is one of those too good to be true situations. I'm pretty sure all the reputable tuners offer "power packages" with a CAI, device, and tune. Just look around a bit and see who the best 3V tuner is right now. Hopefully someone will chime in here and give a some recommendations. If not go with Brenspeed. I'm sure you'll be happy! Good luck!

Mackitraz

Reaction score
Quick question as a last follow up before I buy. AM has a power package with a JLT Series 3 CAI and a BAMA labelled X4. I don't really want to use the Bama tunes, I just wanted to ask if anyone had heard of a tuner being sold that was "proprietary," meaning that I somehow couldn't load tunes from another source on it. Never bought one, so just askin to prevent wasting my money.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They just have their name put on it, I have one that has the VMP logo but I get my tunes from Lito. It isn't locked to only using BAMA tunes

crjackson

Reaction score
You can buy your X4 anywhere you want, and use it with anyone’s tunes, provided they’re written for the SCT tuners.

I bought mine from Brenspeed but not for their tunes (which I was Horribly disappointed with). Also, regardless of what they (Brenspeed) advertised, and what they USED to do, they would not read a datalog for tune refinement. I tried for weeks on end, and they refused. Mine is a Coyote however, and yours a 4.6L so maybe you’ll have better luck.

I’ve had tunes from almost all the major canned-tune vendors. I was happy with MPT, and happy with my Dyno-Tune. They all used the same X4.

Update: Crap, I see that @RED09GT beat me to the post

Mackitraz

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you, really appreciate the response. I'm going with that package then and I'll look at Lito tunes in the future.

Back