Belt squeal problem

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My car sat up for about a month and a half due to medical problems. Now the serpentine belt is squealing like a bitch. I tried belt dressing even though they say not to use it on serpentine belts. Now when it is idling it doesn't squeal but as soon as you rev it the squeal starts and stays until you let it idle again. Is the only cure to change the belt? Could the belt have hardened while sitting up? I did have my turbo and new clutch put in before it sat up. However it did not squeal right after the install, only after it sat up. This is really pissing me off, sounds like an old junker with the squeal. :furious:

Thanks,
Randy

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
that sucks. Guess you could try changing belts to see if it helps.

I have the exact opposite problem. I have a friggin belt churp when I start the car and it goes away after about 3 minutes. Been like that since my last belt change. I kinda think ( hope not ) that it is either the alternator or the PS pump doing it.

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think I found the problem. When the install was done they didn't modify the radiator hose to relocate the thermostat. By not doing that it allowed the hose clamp rub on the front edge of the serpentine belt chewing it all to hell. It also left the powdered rubber everywhere. Now all I have to do is get the splice and a new serpentine belt.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back