Best Fitting O/R Midpipe

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Obviously midpipes have been a topic of discussion numerous times, but I couldn't seem to find any hard feedback on fitment - issues or not.

I have a no-name o/r x on the car. I swear it sounds like there's a leak but under load and cruising down the highway I don't hear any sounds that would indicate one. Cold-start and low RPM revs is when it makes a sound that could be questioned.

I'm about to buy a new o/r x anyways as the brandless one I have now hangs down too low and scraps on anything that's not flat pavement.

Tons of reviews for the Pypes o/r x state fitment issues, the JBA o/r x also has reviews of poor fitment but I like the idea of being able to swap cats in. Lethal doesn't have any reviews posted of theirs.

Has anyone had a damn near perfect fit o/r x or is this just something we all have to deal with?

utm18

forum member
Reaction score
I have the lethal off road H pipe. My buddy that owns a muffler shop that installed it said the fitment was perfect.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Every Mustang I've owned with an off-road mid pipe sounds like it has a leak at low RPM, usually light throttle cruising on the highway. It drove me crazy until I finally figured out that's just the way they sound.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Pype's O/R X on my car for 7 or 8 years now. No leaks, fits perfect with my Pype's LT's. I used to take the O/R X off the car and swap to a catted mid-pipe with not-so-great of fit, but was just for emissions test for a day, then the O/R X went back one. Always goes back on perfect.

I agree with Abdulla, O/R X pipes in all my previous cars always had a "light tick" to them around idle. Unless you are actually struggling to fit up your midpipe under the car, I would say it's normal. Every time I swap out my midpipe on my buddies lift he hates on me, 'cause his '01 GT midpipe is a PITA every time. Mine slips right into the hangers, 4 bolts, 2 slip on couplings, and done. 2 minute midpipe swap.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
I have the lethal off road H pipe. My buddy that owns a muffler shop that installed it said the fitment was perfect.

A new friend of mine runs a Lethal H and he swears buy it. of course I come from the school of "H on a 3V, X on a Coyote."

Every Mustang I've owned with an off-road mid pipe sounds like it has a leak at low RPM, usually light throttle cruising on the highway. It drove me crazy until I finally figured out that's just the way they sound.

That's pretty much what I was thinking but since this is my first experience with a catless midpipe, I wasn't sure what to expect. I anticipated more sound from that area, but not that kind of sound.

Pype's O/R X on my car for 7 or 8 years now. No leaks, fits perfect with my Pype's LT's. I used to take the O/R X off the car and swap to a catted mid-pipe with not-so-great of fit, but was just for emissions test for a day, then the O/R X went back one. Always goes back on perfect.

I agree with Abdulla, O/R X pipes in all my previous cars always had a "light tick" to them around idle. Unless you are actually struggling to fit up your midpipe under the car, I would say it's normal. Every time I swap out my midpipe on my buddies lift he hates on me, 'cause his '01 GT midpipe is a PITA every time. Mine slips right into the hangers, 4 bolts, 2 slip on couplings, and done. 2 minute midpipe swap.

Yeah that must be nice! Lol.

TxGt1

forum member
Reaction score
I installed the Pypes X pipe a month ago and it fit perfect. No problems hitting the pavement......yet. It clears the bumps on HWY380 running 60-70mph.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
I installed the Pypes X pipe a month ago and it fit perfect. No problems hitting the pavement......yet. It clears the bumps on HWY380 running 60-70mph.

Now that's a true testament. Lol. Thanks for the feedback, man!

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
I have also used a Lethal Off-road X pipe on every GT500 I've had. Never had any fitment issues. I have one sitting here waiting to install on my 14 GT500 as well, if I ever get my Axle-backs in...

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
BBK X-pipe, and very affordable compared to most. Great fitment, doesn't hang low, and install is a breeze.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
I have also used a Lethal Off-road X pipe on every GT500 I've had. Never had any fitment issues. I have one sitting here waiting to install on my 14 GT500 as well, if I ever get my Axle-backs in...

That's a +1 for Lethal.

Pypes off road H and Mac axle back here. I get perpetual compliments on the sound.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

My buddy has an H and it does seem to be a smidge louder than my setup. Of course, he has Corsa Extremes thrown into the mix. Bastard. lol.

BBK X-pipe, and very affordable compared to most. Great fitment, doesn't hang low, and install is a breeze.

Shot ya a return PM. Thanks, bud!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back