Big bore vs big bore stroker

minivanracer

forum member
Reaction score
Okay, i am trying to figure out what would be good for a turbo setup .

Here is the rules tho. I will be running stock heads since i can't afford to have them ported right now. I do already have a nice cam and springs.
also vct has been limited with comp limiters.

No i have read that stroker is not worth it without head work cause the car will not rev and bla bla bla

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE WETHER OR NOT TO GO WITH A

BIG BORE OR BIG BORE STROKER. PLUS I HAVE HEARD THAT HAVE A STROKER CAN BE BAD CAUSE PISTON COME UNSTABLE AT HIGH RPMS CAUSE IT COMES OUT THE CYLINDER A LIL BIT .. PLEASE HELP

2014_GT

Bowtie Bitch-Slapper
Reaction score
What are you planning on doing with the car? All-out drag? Autocross? Purely street? Any plans on FI in the future?

EDIT: might as well say it because it'll be said anyway, but this isn't tech. It'll get move to Chit Chat fairly soon.

NjsGT

Back in the game....
Reaction score
Okay, i am trying to figure out what would be good for a turbo setup .

Here is the rules tho. I will be running stock heads since i can't afford to have them ported right now. I do already have a nice cam and springs.
also vct has been limited with comp limiters.

No i have read that stroker is not worth it without head work cause the car will not rev and bla bla bla

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE WETHER OR NOT TO GO WITH A

BIG BORE OR BIG BORE STROKER. PLUS I HAVE HEARD THAT HAVE A STROKER CAN BE BAD CAUSE PISTON COME UNSTABLE AT HIGH RPMS CAUSE IT COMES OUT THE CYLINDER A LIL BIT .. PLEASE HELP

What are you planning on doing with the car? All-out drag? Autocross? Purely street? Any plans on FI in the future?

EDIT: might as well say it because it'll be said anyway, but this isn't tech. It'll get move to Chit Chat fairly soon.
Ya^

minivanracer

forum member
Reaction score

Oops. well i am waiting on my powerhouse turbo kit to arrive . and its purely street but hoping to run 10.0 at the track.

GerRod

forum member
Reaction score
I don't care what you're planning. Go with the Big bore stroker. Try to get as many cubes as possible. You know the old saying, "there's no replacement for displacement"!!!

TurboPete

forum member
Reaction score
Turbo cars dont care about displacement. Just cram some boost in it and hold on .
I kept my set up stock displacement stock heads, stock cams , but good internals , good valves , springs and valve job.
I kept it stock displacement to keep as much meat on the block as possible .
I have been beating on it for 3 years over 800 hp and 800 ftlbs and never had a problem . Now before the year is over I plan on freshening up the motor and going to some ported heads and cams, so I can turn the motor higher to run a Garrett GTX 74mmbb Billet wheel with a 1.01 a/r and 4" Down pipe .
I'll need more rpm to spool quicker and wider powerband .
I personally feel stroker motors are a waste with a turbo car , you can make all the power you want by turning up the boost.
If your car is n/a or S/C I would say it would probably be worth it, at least in N/A for sure.
If your building a Race car and need the max power possible then I say go with big bore stroker, heads and cams , absolutely everything you can do to max out your engine. If you dont someone else will.
How much power do you want to make ?
You can make 1000 with 281ci , actually you can make 2500 or more , go check out Accufabs modular car .
There are alot of ways to make the power , as well as alot of money involved. For what your going to spend on a stroker block , you'll get more out of spending the money elsewhere, heads , cam , valvetrain , transmission, suspension etc.

Just a thought.

Pete

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
Strokers increase the angle of the connecting rod which in turn increases the side loads on the pistons. That added friction can often be as high as the increase in power you might achieve with the added stroke. Increasing stroke also increases piston speed. An increase in piston speed puts disproportionally more stress on the rod and crank than an increase in bore or boost. I have seen it myself and heard it from tuners better in most cases to leave the stroke alone. On a boosted motor you might as well leave the bore alone as well.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Strokers increase the angle of the connecting rod which in turn increases the side loads on the pistons. That added friction can often be as high as the increase in power you might achieve with the added stroke. Increasing stroke also increases piston speed. An increase in piston speed puts disproportionally more stress on the rod and crank than an increase in bore or boost. I have seen it myself and heard it from tuners better in most cases to leave the stroke alone. On a boosted motor you might as well leave the bore alone as well.

^^^^This^^^^

and with a stroker you crowd the piston pin into the ring lands and the crown (right term?) of the piston becomes thinner and less resistant to boost. I really think people need to just accept that the stroke on the 4.6 is just about at the max and any measurable gains come with a substantial expense. With a power adder the added expense would be better spent on quality components to take a little more boost.

Go look at a diesel (big compression and big boost) and look at the piston pin location and the thickness at the top of the piston.

A big bore, stock stroke turbo would be better than a stroker big bore turbo. IMO.

TurboX

Formally Buzz Lightyear
Reaction score
Turbo cars dont care about displacement. Just cram some boost in it and hold on .
I kept my set up stock displacement stock heads, stock cams , but good internals , good valves , springs and valve job.
I kept it stock displacement to keep as much meat on the block as possible .
I have been beating on it for 3 years over 800 hp and 800 ftlbs and never had a problem . Now before the year is over I plan on freshening up the motor and going to some ported heads and cams, so I can turn the motor higher to run a Garrett GTX 74mmbb Billet wheel with a 1.01 a/r and 4" Down pipe .
I'll need more rpm to spool quicker and wider powerband .
I personally feel stroker motors are a waste with a turbo car , you can make all the power you want by turning up the boost.
If your car is n/a or S/C I would say it would probably be worth it, at least in N/A for sure.
If your building a Race car and need the max power possible then I say go with big bore stroker, heads and cams , absolutely everything you can do to max out your engine. If you dont someone else will.
How much power do you want to make ?
You can make 1000 with 281ci , actually you can make 2500 or more , go check out Accufabs modular car .
There are alot of ways to make the power , as well as alot of money involved. For what your going to spend on a stroker block , you'll get more out of spending the money elsewhere, heads , cam , valvetrain , transmission, suspension etc.

Just a thought.

Pete

Pete, I somewhat agree with everything you say. The only thing here is a difference of $400-$500, now my question becomes why not ? The added cubes will help spool time big time on a street car. The added cubes are also going to help low end as well.

Also, unless you already have a 4.6 block, the Boss is cheaper.

Like I said, I agree with everything you said but for $400. Why not ?

TurboPete

forum member
Reaction score
Pete, I somewhat agree with everything you say. The only thing here is a difference of $400-$500, now my question becomes why not ? The added cubes will help spool time big time on a street car. The added cubes are also going to help low end as well.

Also, unless you already have a 4.6 block, the Boss is cheaper.

Like I said, I agree with everything you said but for $400. Why not ?

Whats 500.00 more the difference in block? Im a bit confused . I would think and I maybe wrong we're just tossing around ideas here, but it would be cheaper to build the existing 4.6 in the car up with Diamond Pistons and all good internal parts , then to buy a new big bore block and build that up . Is the difference in the rotating assembly 500.00 ?
I still think the difference is very minimal .
Another thing to consider is with more cubes the motor also runs hotter .
But like you said if the difference bewtween both is only 400.00 go with the big bore .

aleborjas

forum member
Reaction score
go with good flowing heads and good custom cams made for your set up, i like ALOT Mark from Bullet cams he knows how to desing a cam for each set up

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back