Bleeding boost

Kobie

forum member
Reaction score
the 11.2 at 132.

If I'm making 650 and only trapping 100 mph, I would have more issues than I would want to try and solve.

Yeah that makes more sense with 650hp. I guess I was thrown by the "cant get the car to 60' comment. In my book a 1.7 60' time would be awesome, but my car is more of a track day/autocross setup than a drag car.

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
A D1SC on a Ford 3v spun to 20 psi and people assume he is trapping 100mph... what doing a 1/4 mile burnout? He would at least post his "It always smells like burnt rubber when I go down the track" problem, LOL.

OP I'd say belt slip as well. Not sure cranking down on the tensioner is going to solve it. The procharger tensioner may max out, then you'll be throwing belts instead of slipping. I would look at one of those aggressive grooved pullies for the blower possibly. Or have one made. My buddy had one on his V2 2v making 620whp@7200rpm on a 2.59 pulley. The pulley chewed up his belts more but he never had slipping issues after he swapped in that pulley.

link to these grooved pulleys?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

Reichard Racing used to sell them but he retired a few years back. It will take some searching to find any of his pulleys. Lethal used to sell them and they might still have some in stock.

Finding the right RR pulley is a matter of searching everywhere you can and being ready to pay the price once you do find one. They were going for around $100 used a couple of years ago.

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
Ya I'm not having much luck searching online. I'll keep at it.

I was just hoping someone here was running one and had a guy I could contact.

Edit.....just found carbonite coatings.....now reading up on that.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Ya I'm not having much luck searching online. I'll keep at it.

I was just hoping someone here was running one and had a guy I could contact.

Edit.....just found carbonite coatings.....now reading up on that.

They were also known as "sawcut" pulleys. They have a perpendicular slot cut into them at regular intervals. It would be possible to make one yourself with a milling machine and slot saw. Having a smooth, deburred finish is what set Reichard apart from anyone else who did it. AFAIK Reichard were the only sawcut pulleys that didn't chew up belts.

Have you tried just cranking down the tensioner? Everyone I know (including myself when I had a D1) has had to really crank the tensioner down to prevent slipping with a Procharger. I've wondered if the 8 rib belt has too much surface area for the tension required. Kinda like how wide tires have less pounds per square inch and don't do as well as narrow snow tires in the snow.

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
As much as I dare. I can try cranking down some more. I just start to worry where the weak point is under all that load

ILW84U

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As much as I dare. I can try cranking down some more. I just start to worry where the weak point is under all that load

If you put more tension on the belt, make sure you check the crank bolt every so often to make sure it is not backing out.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
For the record, the tensioner arm on the Procharger is not meant for "adding tension in the event of belt slip" nor is it by any means an acceptable quick fix. Procharger made their tensioner arm adjustable to compensate for various crank/blower pulley size combinations AND the various imperfect belt lengths that would be needed to run them. The spring inside the tensioner arm base is what gives tension. It is engineered to give the best possible tension at any given load. If you center your tensioner arm where it should be within its indicated tolerance, and still experience belt slip, cranking down on the tensioner arm should not even be on the table as an option.

If you crank down on the tensioner arm exceeding its centering tolerance, and spin that bitch up to 6,000+rpm, you may find your tensioner bottoms out and chucks the belt right off the rig. That's just my "unicorns and roses" scenario. Also consider this. What happens when the serpentine tensioner bottoms out? It's basically like taking a sledge hammer side-ways to your crank snout. Great way to shatter oil pump gears and destroy a motor. Same difference with the Procharger tensioner, you bottom it out, just picture that sledge hammer with even greater leverage because it's applying force further out on the crank shaft.

Sorry to rattle on about the tensioner, but when people chime in with "oh just crank down on the tensioner arm" like it's no big deal, I read it like nails on a chalkboard sounds. Don't fuck with the tensioner! Use the most appropriate sized belt, center your tensioner arm within its tolerance zone, and let it do it's job.

Grooved blower pulley, IMO is the best solution. Honestly, I wouldn't do a 10 rib or a cog drive unless you're really dedicated to the track or have money to burn. If that's the case, I would consider upgrading from a D1SC to a F1 or F2 setup.

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
Appreciate your input. The car is 90 percent track duty and 10 percent go get the milk in it on a Saturday.

So cog is out of the question for now. Next step is to see if I can fit a 10 rib set up in the car. And maybe carbonite the blower pulley.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score

Didn't know this existed lol. Would have saved me a rant! This is why I prefer the Prochargers blower drive vs Vortech serpentine drive. Although, DoB has done wonders with modified serpentine tensioner upgrades. I just feel Procharger is the better design out of the box. SVT must have thought the same almost 14 years ago when they designed the 03/04 Cobra's blower drive.

It is possible you could mill the Procharger drive plate to accomidate an additional pulley, much like the 03/04 Cobra's ran bigger idler pulleys near the blower to increase contact around the blower pulley. I'm suggesting it because Bruce makes a point about belt width. You get more surface area but actual pressure applied will change. Not sure if the science is the same though. A wider tire will give you more traction in corners but doesn't mean you will get more traction forward. The aspect ratio has to be maintained for tires. Taller tires with more sidewall will get more forward traction that wide tires with less sidewall. A belt on the other hand doesn't have such aspect ratios. Its traction depends on how much contact surface it can plant on the pulley it drives. That said, you would think more width adds to that contact surface, as long as the tensioner spring is strong enough to maintain its designed spring rate. That said, as well, I think milling in an additional idler pulley for belt wrap is the better method, rather than just relying on the tensioner spring to handle even more load.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back