Blown Up Motors: Specs on when it blew requested.

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
1. Forced induction or na? If forced induction what type and how much boost?

Saleen SC, 14psi

2. Pump gasoline, E85, or other?
100 octane

3. Stock block or built?
Stock

4. Compression ratio or piston dish?
Stock

5. Spark advance and a/f?
18 spark, a/f 11.5-11.7

6. WOT, normal driving, or somewhere inbetween?
WOT on the drag strip

7. What component failed?
3 rods

8. Cats or cat free? If cats were they stock or aftermarket?
cat free, long tubes

9. If it was a spun bearing what were the motor clearances and what oil was used?

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
1. Forced induction or na? If forced induction what type and how much boost?

Saleen SC, 14psi

2. Pump gasoline, E85, or other?
100 octane

3. Stock block or built?
Stock

4. Compression ratio or piston dish?
Stock

5. Spark advance and a/f?
18 spark, a/f 11.5-11.7

6. WOT, normal driving, or somewhere inbetween?
WOT on the drag strip

7. What component failed?
3 rods

8. Cats or cat free? If cats were they stock or aftermarket?
cat free, long tubes

9. If it was a spun bearing what were the motor clearances and what oil was used?

I guess this means:
A stock block in a 9-second car spells disaster (or upgrade opportunity).

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
This is for those who have blown their motors. I'm wondering about a few things and if it's not too painful I'd like to know what happened.

1. Forced induction or na? If forced induction what type and how much boost? Paxton Novi 2200 21lbs.

2. Pump gasoline, E85, or other? C16

3. Stock block or built? Built 3.800 stroker

4. Compression ratio or piston dish? 10.3:1

5. Spark advance and a/f? 18 spark 11.2 AFR

6. WOT, normal driving, or somewhere inbetween? WOT 3rd gear 7200RPM about 1200 feet into the 1320

7. What component failed? Exhaust valve. (Ferrea)

8. Cats or cat free? If cats were they stock or aftermarket? Cat free

Please add any other info you think applies or is needed. I just switched my motor back to gasoline. It's wastegated at 14psi with my 10.76:1 pistons and 15 degrees of spark advance at wot. I've thought of going to 10-12psi but it might stay at 14. FWIW an online boost compression calculator says that my boost/compression ratio combo is about the same as 17psi on stock compression. Gas is 92 octane.

Car was only drag raced this season. I added some more spark down low for a hail Mary pass and this what I got. I doubt the extra spark had anything to do with it breaking a valve. Never expected it to break a valve, figured the pistons would give up first. I coasted through the traps at 9.77 @ 138mph

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Car was only drag raced this season. I added some more spark down low for a hail Mary pass and this what I got. I doubt the extra spark had anything to do with it breaking a valve. Never expected it to break a valve, figured the pistons would give up first. I coasted through the traps at 9.77 @ 138mph

Oh snap!!! ...or pop. Whichever.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I was thinking by stock block or built that implies the rotating assembly+block type.

Or maybe im wrong.

Also damn that piston looks awefully ugly, must have made one hell of a racket when that valve popped

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
No, not at all, there are many stock blocks running in the 9's without issues, Billy's (05stroker) being one of them (low 9's) and hopefully mine soon also.

I'm sure he was referring to a "stock motor" when he stated stock block. The block I currently have is stock, but everything else is not.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
I was thinking by stock block or built that implies the rotating assembly+block type.

Or maybe im wrong.

I agree. I was thinking stock short block, no forged internals. Still interesting info. I started searching on posts comparing the 12-13 Boss 302 to the 11-12 GT500, comparing the engines, HP and TQ since both are aluminum blocks with forged internals. Don't derail the thread on this topic but I'd be curious if anyone blew one of those motors.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back