BMR Releases New Product - S197 Mustang Budget Rear Lower Control Arms: TCA032

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the example Kelly. That helped me understand it better.

No problem.

thanks Kelly, just ordered the 019's from beefcake monday

Woot! You will like them. Enjoy!

Any eta on the new bushing release?

Not yet. We are going to test the piss out of them. I've got some on various cars right now. One car in particular, the owner is the pickiest person I have ever know. The car weighs 4190lbs...with 20's....and runs wellllll into the 9's. Perfect test car!

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
Ordered a set from Jayman.
got to get them on with my BMR springs:clap:

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
You will want to contact them and see if it is something they plan on picking up from us.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Wow - that didn't take long!

These have already been copied by one of our competitors. lol....

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah...

We are likely the most copied S197 suspension company, and I don't think anyone has ever copied a product so quickly! I guess I am somewhat impressed?

Tron

forum member
Reaction score
sigh..and its one of the companies whose products i have used and liked. kind of off topic but at the same time not, have you guys ever thought of using a type of end like they use, and others, the "johnny joint"?

UMI Performance

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Wow - that didn't take long!

These have already been copied by one of our competitors. lol....

Hey Kelly,

I hope all is well.

We can go on for days about copying, we were a little sneaky and saw your "budget" arm coming out so we decided to offer a similar product. I don't consider it so much as "copying" when all we did was make a boxed arm for the same retail cost to compete, we have the control arm dimensions here along with our own shop Mustangs so it was super easy. It is competition, when prices drop that drastic we have to compete. it is part of the business, you guys at BMR know that.

I did see BMR just released a "copy" of our tubular rear control arms for the 64-72 A-Body. We have been offering that arm for 10 years now. But I consider it competition and there is enough business out there for us all.

Take care,
Ryan

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Kelly,

I hope all is well.

We can go on for days about copying, we were a little sneaky and saw your "budget" arm coming out so we decided to offer a similar product. I don't consider it so much as "copying" when all we did was make a boxed arm for the same retail cost to compete, we have the control arm dimensions here along with our own shop Mustangs so it was super easy. It is competition, when prices drop that drastic we have to compete. it is part of the business, you guys at BMR know that.

I did see BMR just released a "copy" of our tubular rear control arms for the 64-72 A-Body. We have been offering that arm for 10 years now. But I consider it competition and there is enough business out there for us all.

Take care,
Ryan

Ryan, I do not keep up with our A-Body segment, as you likely know.

If we copied your A-Body LCA design, I do apologize for that. Again, I do not follow the A-Body stuff....but, I would be willing to bet the design we apparently copied, is probably similar to many of the offerings on the market - not a specific UMI design. So, my point is....If I am right, I wouldn't say we copied you - I would say we followed the market (offerings) and what the market wants. I could be completely off there, but I'll bet the majority of the A-Body LCA are tubular, and the difference is primarily color and bushing manufactures.

The boxed S197 LCA is a BMR Design. No one else had a boxed offset LCA design for this car, before us.

There is about a 99.99% chance that any S197 LCA that is boxed with an offset, was derived from our design.

So, in a nutshell, you definitely copied a BMR Design, and matched the price. The A-Body LCA we recently started offering, may be similar to what you build....but it is likely similar to what 90% of the offerings in that market are.

I see blatantly copying, and following the market as two different things. Maybe I'm off base there, I dunno.

I definitely appreciate your response in here, and I also want you to know that I do appreciate your S197 products, as a whole, being designed by you guys in house. My initial response to this situation was shocking, as I have previously always been very pleased that you guys have mostly stayed away from our designs, in terms of "copying". I guess I would say, I was shocked that you pulled that move.

Competition is a great thing. I look forward to seeing your future product offerings for the S550!

UMI Performance

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Ryan, I do not keep up with our A-Body segment, as you likely know.

If we copied your A-Body LCA design, I do apologize for that. Again, I do not follow the A-Body stuff....but, I would be willing to bet the design we apparently copied, is probably similar to many of the offerings on the market - not a specific UMI design. So, my point is....If I am right, I wouldn't say we copied you - I would say we followed the market (offerings) and what the market wants. I could be completely off there, but I'll bet the majority of the A-Body LCA are tubular, and the difference is primarily color and bushing manufactures.

The boxed S197 LCA is a BMR Design. No one else had a boxed offset LCA design for this car, before us.

There is about a 99.99% chance that any S197 LCA that is boxed with an offset, was derived from our design.

So, in a nutshell, you definitely copied a BMR Design, and matched the price. The A-Body LCA we recently started offering, may be similar to what you build....but it is likely similar to what 90% of the offerings in that market are.

I see blatantly copying, and following the market as two different things. Maybe I'm off base there, I dunno.

I definitely appreciate your response in here, and I also want you to know that I do appreciate your S197 products, as a whole, being designed by you guys in house. My initial response to this situation was shocking, as I have previously always been very pleased that you guys have mostly stayed away from our designs, in terms of "copying". I guess I would say, I was shocked that you pulled that move.

Competition is a great thing. I look forward to seeing your future product offerings for the S550!

Kelly, I have no idea where you are going with the off-set part. Our tubular arm has been off-set for years... it needs to be to fit on the vehicle. So if you want to claim that fame I will let you have it :)

I am sure as you know from working at BMR that UMI and BMR offer very similar prices on like products, we have done it for years. So we didn't beat your price, we matched it. Exactly as you did on the a-body tubular control arms. Whether you are involved in the a-body market or not BMR copied our design, but to me it does not matter, I was shocked as well but smiled and moved on. In reality there is only minimal ways to make a point to point control arm. I am not upset about our a-body arms, we moved on and concentrated on newer products and what we need to do to continue to compete in the market.

There is plenty of business out there for us all. We have great respect for BMR and although we do compete we don't consider you an enemy.

Ryan

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Good to know. I have never thought of you as an enemy, and do not intend to, assuming you guys can continue to develop parts on your own without blatant replications. There is already a company out there with that reputation, I don't want to see you take that path.

And I typed "boxed offset design". You can ignore the mention of the offset term, it's just by habit.

Fair enough. You copied us, we copied you.

Take care Ryan

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Kelly Are these arms substantially better than say the J&M round $100 lowers?

I think it would come down more to the name / company you are buying from.

I cannot post that I feel that these LCA are substantially better. I also do not know much about those LCA, like their durometer....material, welding style, etc. Do they provide grease fittings? Are they made in the USA?

I can confidently post that you get more bang for your buck when using our suspension, over most others. From the price, quality and track record, to the service and knowledge behind the product, there is a reason we have the reputation that we do; that's certain.

:beer:

85GT 7.0

Reaction score
LCA

How much for the lowers, adj. upper, upper mount and pan hard bar?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back