Bogging. Need to improve my 60'

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so I was surprised today at the track. I ran last year, stock except axle backs and lowered, and ran 14.2@100mph

Today I ran 13.2@106mph but my 60' was 2.093. I have tried all sorts of launches but I almost always either spin or bog. How can I launch appropriately to avoid bogging or what should I change to help?

The car is a 2009 GT with the following mods:

-2008 intake with steeda polished CMDPs
-JLT series 2 CAI with an amsoil high flow filter
-steeda UDP
-Steeda throttle body spacer
-Bama tune
-Kooks long tubes
-kooks catless X
-Bassani axle back exhaust
-lowered on eibach prokit
-strut tower brace

Tires are Goodyear asymmetric all seasons. And I should add that I think the car can hit 12s with this setup if I can drive it right. So that's what I'd love to do without changing tires or major parts.

Thanks

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
First I'd say get a real tire

However, M or A trans?

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
Stock 373 gear and it's manual. It would be cool to hit 12s on the street setup but I kind of figured that tires were the key. But someone to me that it bogs because of the tune so I'm looking to the pros for help ha

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
on street tires, IMO, only way to get that 60' down is to slip the clutch more

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Drag tires for the drag strip, you can run well on street tires but don't expect anything crazy.
Also if you want to stick to street tires you're going to have to slip the clutch from high RPM to get a decent 60' I used to slip the clutch at around 6000 rpm.
Then i stopped dicking around with street tires at the dragstrip, it's like going to a wedding in jeans... you can do it but don't expect nice results.

treed by stk.

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
Haha. I'll have to invest in some drag wheels/tires then and probably a two step. I was told no way I'd hit under 13.4 and I know this car can touch 12s so either way I'm stoked for what I have in mods.

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
Just in case some people think it's all BS
48857067e7ffa53f7ba037a89441d267.jpg

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Yea you can get mid 12's with those MPH's you're pulling.
I was at 12.5xx with 106 mph when I was only bolt on's, just have to get the 60' down.
Nice runs!

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
Nice. So what are the general opinions? I have the stock rear end that's 373 gear as part of the 45th anniversary package perks. Should I look at street slicks or just straight track slicks? I'd like not to break anything as is but if I do, it's upgrade time so win win haha

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Nice. So what are the general opinions? I have the stock rear end that's 373 gear as part of the 45th anniversary package perks. Should I look at street slicks or just straight track slicks? I'd like not to break anything as is but if I do, it's upgrade time so win win haha

A good bias ply will be fine for you, I've driven to the track and back on Hoosier QTP's and ET streets. you don't need a full gumball slick, good bias ply DOT tire and you're all set :hi:

And on the contrary, the softer tires actually provides cushion for your launch and helps with durability of the rear end parts, softens the blow considerably.
I like to be able to drive to the track and not need a pit crew when I get there.

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
Good deal thanks for the info. I also like driving to and from. Changing out wheels and tires there though isn't too bad

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
As has been stated, Tires & Suspension.

I've been 1.63 on 19" drag radials (and UPR suspension) in my stick car. It required a lot of clutch slip.

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
Don't feel bad. I have close to the same mods as you, but am using 4:10s. Anything over a 3k rpm launch is a spin fest.

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
That's dumping the clutch though yeah? I still need to work on slipping it and getting that down.

Anybody here have input on the MSD plug-n-play 2-step? Worth it?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Yes input is get a wotbox.
For the same $ you're going to get 5 devices in one.
Instead of the spaghetti monster of wires that is the MSD 2-step (not to say it doesn't work just not the same value)

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
-remove front sway bar
-pick up a set of 17" OEM wheels off Craigslist
-M/T et street bias ply tires (not radials), set to 16-18psi cold
-side step the clutch at 5k rpm
-post pic of your 12.xx time slip

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back