Bogging. Need to improve my 60'

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
^thatd be sweet. Not sure that kind of customer service exists anywhere near Chicago haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
Alright so I got the Mickey Thompson 26x11.5x17 et streets. Which someone told me will not perform well (or control well) with radial fronts. So I'm looking into front runners and some drag front wheels. I know I need 17" minimum wheels up front but what tires do I run? The only 17" bias play fronts that mickey Thompson lists are 2.5" wide tiny things for dragsters. What's everyone running up front thats not radial?

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about running a radial up front. I did it at faster speeds than you're running without any problems.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Alright so I got the Mickey Thompson 26x11.5x17 et streets. Which someone told me will not perform well (or control well) with radial fronts. So I'm looking into front runners and some drag front wheels. I know I need 17" minimum wheels up front but what tires do I run? The only 17" bias play fronts that mickey Thompson lists are 2.5" wide tiny things for dragsters. What's everyone running up front thats not radial?

I've run bias ply in the rear and stock radials in the front for years.
Only last year I stepped up to skinnies in the front and they are radias tires too. No issue at all.
I run these on 15x4" rims.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-165-80R15-NANKANG-CX668-87T-TIRE-165-80-15-165-80-15-1658015-165-80-15-/191494574171?fits=Section+Width%3A165|Aspect+Ratio%3A80|Rim+Diameter%3A15

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
I've run bias ply in the rear and stock radials in the front for years.
Only last year I stepped up to skinnies in the front and they are radias tires too. No issue at all.
I run these on 15x4" rims.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-165-80R15-NANKANG-CX668-87T-TIRE-165-80-15-165-80-15-1658015-165-80-15-/191494574171?fits=Section+Width%3A165|Aspect+Ratio%3A80|Rim+Diameter%3A15

You run QTP in rear and these up front on street? No problems or you just running skinnies at track?

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
Ok. I was thinking about just grabbing the first cheap set of skinnies I could find for track use only and not worry about radial or bias ply. Thanks

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
I am hesitant as well after hearing stories of sway at the end of the track mixing bias and radial, after a bunch of research of what can I use on a set of stock 17's it seems like the Hoosier radials are the best option for a stick car, they will actually wrinkle and seem to perform more like a Bias tire, the downside is hoosier says not to drive them on the street and most people agree, but I guess it depends on how far.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I ran bias front and radial rears to 11.6s at 117 without issue

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
Radials as in radial front runners or radial normal daily street tires upfront?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bias front skinnies and MT DR rear

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
I know you said bias fronts and radial rears. I should have clarified I was asking the people who commented that they ran bias rears and radial fronts.

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know you said bias fronts and radial rears. I should have clarified I was asking the people who commented that they ran bias rears and radial fronts.

I had rear bias plys and front radials. Regular street radials. Ran high 11s with no problems.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
The other question with mixing is are you guys running stock 17x8 235s with 50 sidewall or whatever it is?
I have 19x9 with 255/40/19 tires so not much sidewall and a lot grippier tire, I had a couple passes running street tires last year where I got sway 3/4 down the track to the point I had to let off on some, I figured it was cold and the street tires may have been slipping? Just want to make sure I never have that again as I almost pooped myself

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
You run QTP in rear and these up front on street? No problems or you just running skinnies at track?
I run skinnies at the track, but I had the same rear tires with my stock 235/50 tire in the front a year before I bought the skinnies and ran them all the time.

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
Ok guys so next weekend is my first track day of the year, I was able to get the one piece drive shaft and short shifter in as well as oil separators and do a tune up. She runs really really well. I am very happy with it.

But for the track, I'm a tad worried that I didn't have time to get the rear suspension in. So it's still got stock upper and lower control arms and pan hard bar. I have had some street fun with it and there are time when I hit second HARD. Like back end to the ground hard. So question is, and I think I know the answer anyway, is should I wait until later in the year to get my suspension in to run the Mickey Thompsons out back? I'm worried that those tires on the cars current setup would just be too much stress on the suspension and rear end. Thoughts? What are the chances I'll blow apart the rear end as it is anyway?

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
So question is, and I think I know the answer anyway, is should I wait until later in the year to get my suspension in to run the Mickey Thompsons out back? I'm worried that those tires on the cars current setup would just be too much stress on the suspension and rear end. Thoughts? What are the chances I'll blow apart the rear end as it is anyway?

bias ply ET streets, right? go ahead and run them now, trying to hook with street tires is a waste of time.

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah. I figured it would be best to wait. But I'm bringing a trailer to the track just in case so fuck it. If it breaks it breaks haha

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
Well today was a bust. First track got canceled for rain. Went to a second track and didn't get dry until 12:30. By that time they were rushing through the class racers so test and tune only got two passes in before the rain came back.

I was wanting two runs on street tires and the rest on the mickeys because a buddy and I wanted to do a little bragging rights racing on streets. Well, the track and my car just would not jive. Cut a 2.10 and 2.15 60' on street tires. Just couldn't get it to go. And he did even worse. The track and our cars just weren't working. Ran a 13.59 and 13.89 which is slower than last year even though I've put more parts in.

Lame. Oh well, I'll try and get back when track conditions are a little better for me haha

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back