boss intake or headers causing whistling noise?

nwmastiffs

Reaction score
I recently added headers, high flow cats, x-pipe, and a boss intake. I already had a tune and a cold air intake. After installing headers and boss intake I now have a a high pitch air whistle noise at 1500-2000 rpm. If i give it more gas I can't hear the high pitch noise anymore. So I thought I had some kind of vacuum leak, so I smoked the intake and found no leaks, it is driving me crazy. I think my gas mileage is a bit worse also, I am not sure though, I drive it pretty hard most the time, but my last tank got less than 200 miles. I guess I am wondering if anyone has heard any different air noises with the boss intake or has any ideas on what could be causing this noise. Thanks guys

AndrewG27

forum member
Reaction score
Best bet is the headers. I hate messing with headers because you get little problems like this. As long as you followed the torq specs for the intake manifold there shouldn't be a problem there.

AndrewG27

forum member
Reaction score
I had a whistle from the cold air intake I installed. A C&L. But there was no noticeable increase in the whistle when I installed my boss manifold.
Did you have a whistle from the cold air intake when you installed it? Or is this a different noise?

nwmastiffs

Reaction score
I never had it any noise like what i am hearing now until i installed the boss intake and headers, don't know which one cause i did them at the same time.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
My bet is on the intake. Whenever I've had a exhaust leak it made a ticking/tapping sound.

nwmastiffs

Reaction score
I also think it is the intake, is there anything you can do to eliminate that noise. Once you get tuned in to a certain noise, you hear it all the time.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
I'd try to retorque it. Sometimes there is a little bit of luck that goes with it. Check any vacuum lines if any. The smallest gap can cause that noise.

five.slow

Reaction score
you could have a leak and have no smoke come out of it. it would be a leak that is only there under vacuum and not under pressure like the smoke test. I charged the A/C in a truck once and i pulled vacuum on it for 15mins and a 10min leak test and it passed, when I went to charge the system it got maybe .15 lbs and i heard a high pitched hiss and sure enough there was a hole in one of the lines. Anything below .5lbs isnt gonna blow a hole in a a/c line... see what im saying?

nwmastiffs

Reaction score
Yea, could be, I have looked over and over for a leak and can't find one yet.

chuck@evoperform

Boss surgeon
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I have more like a squeek or squeel at low throttle/load/rpm conditions. Been there since I installed the intake.

bexamous

Reaction score
After installing CAI, at 1500-2000rpm and maybe like 20-30% throttle I totally hear a whistling sound. Its just the perfect amount of air being sucked in to make whistle sound. I would have assumed most CAI's made this sound, but maybe not. Maybe your CAI did not, but adding boss intake changed things just enough to give you the sound. If you totally wanted to waste time you could put air box back, it'd hook up to boss intake right? If noise is gone you know its not headers leaking or something, if you worry about that.

qwiksillva

Reaction score
The whistle is normal. It's due to the intake.

The whistle I believe is coming from the throttle body but aftermarket intake typically is not as sound deadening on top of the higher airflow, it just creates a whistle noise.

Last edited:

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
It's normal. I have it on mine after the CAI and throttle body. I actually like it.

nwmastiffs

Reaction score
do you guys think a throttle body spacer would help, I can't take it anymore I have to get rid of that noise. I don't know if the boss intake is worth it, I hear that noise constantly and it is so high pitched it drives me crazy.

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
do you guys think a throttle body spacer would help, I can't take it anymore I have to get rid of that noise. I don't know if the boss intake is worth it, I hear that noise constantly and it is so high pitched it drives me crazy.

You need louder exhaust. That'll cure it.

scotty2hottie

Reaction score
Had a whistle at part throttle low rpm and it was a vacuum leak around the maf. it was snug but made it really tight and noise gone. just another area to investigate.

good luck

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back