Bought a brand new car that is damaged-- Should I have done it?

slicksilver

forum member
Reaction score
At the end of August, I found the exact 2014 GT I was searching for-- down to the exact options (Base, 3.73, Brembo, Sync, Tech, etc). There wasnt another one like it in NC sitting on the lot.

55 Miles on the odometer

The car had a Scuff on the front bumper-- etched into the paint.-- Can not be buffed out.
The passenger door had a quarter-sized door ding in the upper crease, and the paint was chipped off to the bare metal.
The passenger front fender had a pin-sized rock chip- down to bare metal.

I was very hesitant to buy this car.
However, the dealer was exceptional. They recognized this damage, and worked with me. When I say they worked with me.. I mean it.. I got this car OTD for about the price of a V6! (roughly $8k off of sticker- ridiculous).

On top of that, they told me that they can't let anything that has their name tied to it ride around damaged. They want to fix it-- FREE.

So far, so good.

The body shop they contracted to do this has a stellar reputation.

Here's where I'm freaking out-- They want to take the fender, door, and bumper OFF of the car, and paint them all completley. Will this kind of thing show up on a CarFax?
I'm nervous about them ripping my car apart and throwing it back together-- what if they develop a squeak or rattle? I'm now having weird thoughts that 1/3 of my brand new car doesnt have the original paint.

What are your thoughts? Did I make a mistake?

Or is this "just a Mustang, man... calm down.. you got a killer deal."

this is my first new car, so a little OCD

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is normal business for the dealer. You can't believe the way rail and truck transporter guys fuck these cars up. It will not show on carfax.

Good deal in my book.

SStang

forum member
Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from, I'm alittle OCD also, and don't want to crack the factory seal. Just remember how much you saved, and they are fixing it for free, that right there is awesome!!! You shouldn't have any issues with the paint, if so take it back. Taking off the panels is the correct way of doing it. You will be more concerned when you get your first rock chip, or some dumb MF puts a door ding into the car. I would of bought in a heart beat if I could of. Hell, I'm looking for a salvage 2011 mustang to buy, so I can finally be back in a 5.0L.

Stampede.

corey5988

forum member
Reaction score
Got an awesome deal. And like said it won't show up. I don't know why they'd take everything off to paint though. I do bodywork and the only reason they would do that is to keep away from overspray, but if they prep right there would be no worries with that. With it being black that won't be a big deal, but it would be a pain to blend like that in other colors.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Yep, taking the parts off is what I'd want. That way they can paint all the jambs.

Your car is black so it should be a walk In the park for a reputable shop.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Only go onto car fax if auto body reports it. I know 3 auto bodies by me, one being my Uncle and they don't report to them. See car fax pays auto bodies like .50 each time they report a car to them but a lot of independents don't want to be bothered by that.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
Seeing as how you're in Clayton..

Which dealer is it? When it comes to dealers, some of them have good reputations for taking good care of customers.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
$8K off for that kind of damage, + them also fixing it, I'd say that is a pretty awesome deal.

slicksilver

forum member
Reaction score
+1 to all comments-- very happy customer. Rasmus, Xroads Ford in Cary

The $$ off of the sticker wasn't ALL because of the damage, but it certainly was used as leverage

They bent over backwards to make this car perfect so far, and I didnt necessarily expect them to fix it given the discount. The bodywork quote was just over $1300 alone

I should get it back by the end of next week, I'll throw some pics up of the bodywork

Last edited:

claudermilk

Reaction score
"just a Mustang, man... calm down.. you got a killer deal."

Awesome deal. Let them do the free fix & be happy.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
I don't see what people are saying insane deal for. I got $8k off a brand new ordered 2012 back in 2012. $8k off sticker is pretty normal if you negotiate.

Let them repaint it all. The dealer drilled the front bumper for a plate and they had to replace it and repaint it on my car that was special ordered. Ohh well. No one will ever know.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
+1 to all comments-- very happy customer. Rasmus, Xroads Ford in Cary

The $$ off of the sticker wasn't ALL because of the damage, but it certainly was used as leverage

They bent over backwards to make this car perfect so far, and I didnt necessarily expect them to fix it given the discount. The bodywork quote was just over $1300 alone

I should get it back by the end of next week, I'll throw some pics up of the bodywork

Crossroads is a good place. That's where I got mine from, and I still stay in touch with them. Some of my pictures are even on their walls.

After I got mine from them, probably a month later, I had found a few scratches and some rub marks. They took care of that, too, no questions asked.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Car won't stay new forever. The first rock chip or scratch, and there it goes. You already took care of that, so less to worry about. Post some pics when you get it.

slicksilver

forum member
Reaction score
Crossroads is a good place. That's where I got mine from, and I still stay in touch with them. Some of my pictures are even on their walls.

After I got mine from them, probably a month later, I had found a few scratches and some rub marks. They took care of that, too, no questions asked.

That's awesome to hear. My parents purchased a 2001 Explorer from them back in 2001

The sales rep still sends a Christmas card every Christmas and says "Hope the explorer is doing well!" etc. ... It's been 10+ years and we have 10+ christmas cards. Crazy

They're pretty good folks up there and they take care of business. I imagine that the Christmas card thing is in their CRM system as a reminder-- but regardless it's impressive that they even care to bother after 10 yrs

Last edited:

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Congrats on the new ride and good deal. Post up some pics when you get her back.

BTW, did you happen to get any "before" pics of the damage? It would be interesting to compare.

slicksilver

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new ride and good deal. Post up some pics when you get her back.

BTW, did you happen to get any "before" pics of the damage? It would be interesting to compare.

Thanks!

Sure, here are some quick iPhone pics-- car was filthy, pls excuse that haha

TIINY fender knick

Door Dent/Chip

This is how small it is... can you even see it? lol

Bumper:

I'll get some after pics once it's all fixed up and cleaned up

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Yeah, that bumper and the door ding are pretty bad. Glad they are fixing her up for you.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
After all is said and done, you're going to suicidal anyways for buying a black car, ESPECIALLY if you're OCD. I would NEVER do that again after owning a black Harley! LOL!!

slicksilver

forum member
Reaction score
After all is said and done, you're going to suicidal anyways for buying a black car, ESPECIALLY if you're OCD. I would NEVER do that again after owning a black Harley! LOL!!

:clap::thud:Did you say OCD? Bring on the dirt.. :)

Car Wash soap, Non-Ammoniated Glass cleaner, "Quick Slick" Clay lube, Clay

50/50 Iso alcohol and water for wipedown

Adam's pads and tire applicator

Decided to purchase dedicated sprayer bottles for substances

Hand wash mit

enormous bulk pack of microfibers

2 5gal buckets with grit guards in place

Goodies from Adam's (VRT, Americana Wax, sealant, etc, etc, etc)

Back